• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Reading in prison

SFG75

I enjoyed this little write up.

After cell searches, I've spent half an hour explaining the difference between a dictionary, a usage dictionary, a biographical dictionary, and a dictionary of philosophy. Why I need more than one book labeled "dictionary" tends to perplex and annoy the authorities.

This guy needs to earn an online MA in library-information science.

That was really interesting, thanks.

More times than I can count, I've gone on a hunt for some bit of knowledge to help illuminate my understanding of the wider world. In these places, it's too easy to allow the concrete walls to suffocate our minds, our curiosity. When that happens, human beings die in a profound way, devolving to unthinking brutes that truly believe vast, secret conspiracies are arrayed against them, that racial and tribal loyalties require the fear and loathing of others, and that there is no path to enlightenment.

And that's why 70% of prisoners come back to prison after they're released. The bonds that hold too many of us are not made of concrete and steel, they are of much stronger stuff.

While the accumulation of knowledge is not an end in itself, the free flow of information acts as a potent disinfectant against the terrible byproducts of ignorance. I've often wondered, what would happen if every new arrival was issued a dictionary and an up-to-date almanac along with his state cup and brown boots?

Great article! I wonder if my local jail would be a better place to offer my boxes of books that need a new home. I know someone who once held a book drive for the Sedwick County Jail; I wonder if he'd be interested in doing so again.

Nice article!
One of my best friends in the world is in a state penitentiary here in Michigan, ironically another state in horrible financial condition. He also complains of the lack of available reading material. I send him books from Amazon when I can.
It is sad. Books are such an invaluable source of education, and education is a fundamental part of rehabilitation, but there seems to be a disconnect in the prison system regarding books.

Very cool.

I think a wise but very angry man-child once said:

"I guess words are a mothaf#### they can be great
or they can degrade, or even worse they can teach hate"

Good example of how the prison system in the U.S. isn't all that interested in actually reforming prisoners. Maybe if they had a bit more access to information a lot of them could go a long way toward reforming themselves and thereby lower the rate of recidivism in this country.

I think this article is really great. I decided I will read his book soon. I just loved the way he wrote it, this kind of self-irony but still it isn't totally hopeless...

I heard recently on CBC radio that books are no longer allowed in prison (maybe just Canadian prisons?) as they are used too often to smuggle contraband. How incredibly sad. All that time on their hands and they can't read. It's adds a cruel dimension to their punishment in my opinion.

Very interesting. My last job was at a university library and we had three inmates that we did document delivery for so they could study. One notorious inmate who went on a shooting rampage sometime during the 80's was doing his Phd in philosophy. I always wonder what he got out of those philosophy texts after taking so many lives. And admittedly, I always put his books in his mail bag with some distaste.

I can see the prohibition relating to people bringing books to inmates but it should be possible to donate books to local jails/prisons and let the workers deal with checking them for contraband before putting them into circulation. A while back I donated several boxes of paperbacks to a city jail. Their requirements were: no hardcovers and no sex.

Excellent article beergood. It's great they've had some success but still highly controversial. I wonder what victims think of this alternative to prison?

Excellent article beergood. It's great they've had some success but still highly controversial. I wonder what victims think of this alternative to prison?

It looks like this program is for non-violent offenders. I like the idea of freeing up room in prisons for people who really need to be off the streets. This program is a viable alternative to locking up people who make mistakes, but are otherwise not dangerous to society.

Cool article BeerGood, and nice job Texas. A progressive move that is affordable and effective. That's pretty amazing.
Funny coincidence, the Old Man and The Sea was the first fictional book I sent to my buddy. I just thought he would be able to identify. He loved it.

Words are powerful. The prison systems know it too. In Michigan there is a whole list of books the inmates can't read. Stuff like Machievelli, Sun Tzu, 48 laws of Power, things like that. I'm curious what peoples thoughts are on this. Is the knowledge in some books too dangerous for people in prison?

Is the knowledge in some books too dangerous for people in prison?

The state of Virginia appears to believe so.

Virginia sued for banning book about suing prisons.

Two civil rights organizations are suing Virginia prison officials because they banned inmates from receiving a book teaching them how to file lawsuits against prisons.

National Lawyers Guild and the Center for Constitutional Rights sued state Department of Corrections Director Gene Johnson, officials at Coffeewood Correctional Center and members of the department's Publication Review Committee on Wednesday in federal court in Charlottesville.
:lol:

Most US prisons have a merit system by which inmates earn certain privileges; looks like inmates could 'earn' library/reading material access in much the same manner. I know in the case of our own BTK serial killer, he has been barred from receiving any material with images of women. Even the most innocent of photos, he has told reporters, trigger his sadistic ideas. Inmates like him do need to have their reading material censored. The regular prison population, not so much. While I don't believe convicted felons 'deserve' a soft ride. depriving them of reading material seems like shooting society in the foot. Particularly with non-violent offenders, who likely will be set free eventually, better to give them something to improve their minds and nourish their souls. Not saying Bibles aren't wonderful; I am grateful to own several copies, but better to give them Bibles AND other literature.

I must own that it had never crossed my mind to donate collected and unwanted books to penal facilities. I usually pass mine along to a nursing home for the elderly that is within the community in which I reside.

I think in the future I shall divvy up the books I do not wish to keep and send them to the nursing home and a state prison (if allowable).

I must own that it had never crossed my mind to donate collected and unwanted books to penal facilities. I usually pass mine along to a nursing home for the elderly that is within the community in which I reside.

I think in the future I shall divvy up the books I do not wish to keep and send them to the nursing home and a state prison (if allowable).

Your post got me curious and I found some interesting links

books to prisoners.net

U Chi books to prisoners program

Prison book program

Books through bars

Back