• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

Some Great Thing-Lawrence Hill

It was an ok book,easy read.He captured the race issues and especially the French/English speaking problems.:star3:

Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray (Graphic Novel) illustrated by I.J.N Culbard, adapted by Ian Edgington. One gets the story, with a full dose of Wilde's epigrams, but with very unappealing artwork.

Aww, did they ruin it? I love that novel.

Here is I. N. J. Culbard's work,I do like 'The Hound Of The Baskervilles's cover more,could it have to do with the story? It seems the Dorian Gray cover is more clean cut,pretty etc.
STRANGE PLANET STORIES

Hi Polly, Libra,
Following up on my previous reply, I did search out links showing the more famous GNs I have seen and refreshed my memory of their artwork. I still have to say that the Sterling Dorian Gray doesn't hold a candle to Watchmen, Sandman, The Plot, V for Vendetta, and others, including my all-time favorite, Prince Valiant. :)

For brevity here, my more specific thoughts are in two posts on my blog up above: Graphic Novel Links , and the Review of Dorian Gray.

In the case of the Sterling version of Dorian Gray, one really can't tell the book by its cover. Sight unseen, the Marvel version stands every chance of being more appealing.

Respectfully
Peder

Peder,
By looking at the two covers,I have to agree on the "cartoonishness" of Culbard's Illustration.I think it also helps when you have read the book and then appreciate ,or not,the Illustration.I also can see how it could disapoint if the story is not translated properly into artwork.I only have two that I have read,Watchmen and The Trial, and one in my TBR pile,Crime and Punishment.

Peder,
I think it also helps when you have read the book and then appreciate ,or not,the Illustration.
Libra,
I think that would have to be true. Unfortunately I haven't read Dorian Gray itself, but I would be surprised if there were not much more about the internal thoughts of the characters and much more "texture" in describing the development of the story. The graphic novel seems to be superficial and just presenting the main facts.

Hope your Trial and C&P work out better. :flowers:

Libra,
I think that would have to be true. Unfortunately I haven't read Dorian Gray itself, but I would be surprised if there were not much more about the internal thoughts of the characters and much more "texture" in describing the development of the story. The graphic novel seems to be superficial and just presenting the main facts.

Hope your Trial and C&P work out better. :flowers:

I understand how it could be dissapointing.The Trial was good,both the book and the GN.I will let you know about C & P.Thanks.

I recently read a new book by Margaret Langstaff, Marlin, Darlin': Garnet Sullivan Live from Florida #1-a really great little book with wonderful sense of standing in Florida with your toes in the sand as poor Garnets life goes completely haywire in one madcap adventure after the other. What my friend calls a 'clean' mystery.

The Witch's Trinity by Erika Mailman. Set during a famine in Germany of 1507,a grandmother is accused of witchcraft by her own daughter-in-law.
:star4:

I finished "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" some days ago. I event went to Baker Street for a better imagination :)
It's an incredible book and it makes you love London even more!

Superintendent Hannah Bernstein: "Brigadier he's mad sir."
Brigadier Charles Ferguson: "No, Superintendent. He's Dillon."

Day of Reckoning - Jack Higgins :star3:

Warren Fayh - Fragment

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed with the direction of the book. I was looking for more but felt the author had some good idea and potential. I thought some of the dialogue were very childish. For example, character "I told you so" character 2 "yeah" character 3 "fine, then".

I think Harlan Coben will be my new author after I finish everything by Michael Connelly.

I've only read his stand alone stories, not the Bolitar series yet. I've heard they are excellent as well.

Just finished In A Dry Season by Peter Robinson. It's the first of Robinson's I've read. Interesting detective series, even though this one is a more recent in said series, it is easily a stand alone as well. I've bought a few more of the series and look forward to more twisty plotting. :D

Back