• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

Majgull Axelsson, Moderspassion (Sweden) :star5:

Still one of the greatest living Swedish writers. This one isn't out in English (yet), but her earlier novel April Witch is and you should all read it.

What is it about (April Witch)?

Liza Marklund: A Place in the Sun
I really liked that one, especially the conversations between Annika and her children ;-)

Recently finished Cold Wind by C. J. Box - good story featuring a Game Warden in Wyoming whose job entails issuing offence citations for hunters and fishermen not obeying rules. He gets involved in many situations which are not really related to his job. His mother-in-law's 5th, very rich husband, has been shot and hung from a wind turbine and m-i-law has been charged with his murder. Lots of twists and turns with a good plot and a very surprising ending. :star3:

The Devil's Alphabet by Dar Gregory: A strange "disease" infects a town in Tennesse causing some of the inhabitants to mutate into one of three creatures: giant Argos, small and squat Betas and obese Charlies. A man who was spared from the changes goes home to his aging Charlie dad and must solve the murder/suicide of a close friend.

Darker Angels by S.P. Somtow: A widow in the 1860's is told tales by her cook, Walt Whitman and his lover, about voodoo, zombies, and a shape shifting woman. Turns out her husband and the late president Lincoln had something to do with it.

The God of Spring by Arabel Edge: An early 19th century french painter, Garicault (?), who is in an artistic rut and inlove with his uncle's wife, learns about a tragic accident at sea. A group of people had been set adrift on a huge raft after their boat was run aground by an member of the gentry when he took over the ship. The tale involves cannibalism, lies and a tale of obsession that ruined a man's life.

Graveyard Dust by Barb Hambly: An 1830's detective/doctor/musician, who is a free man of color, must solve an apparent murder before his sister and the man's wife are hanged. Part of a series involving all the trials and tribulations of 19th century New Orleans. Hints that the supernatural had something to do with it.

H.E.R.O.s - Metamorphisis by Kevin Rau. Decent, light read for the end of summer. Sci-fi tale about a similar world where people are occasionally given super power type abilities, and follows 3 friends who become afflicted. The author's website has a lot of character dev stuff on it.

Steve Alten: Meg: A Novel Of Deep Terror. :star1: or :star5: Utterly demented cracky fun. I'm not sure half of it's deliberate, but man, did this book make me laugh.

Room by Emma Donoghue:star4: Very good,tho a bit weird at first as the story's told from a 5 yr old boy's viewpoint,but once you get into his talk it's totally absorbing.

I've wondered about this one. Glad to hear it is worth it. :)

Just finished Doc by Mary Doria Russell. A fictional bio of Doc Holliday, lots of Wyatt Earp and his brothers in it as well, of course. The only aspect of the book I take exception to is the way Russell finished off the book. The last chapter almost seemed like her notes for the book. Cut and dried, documentary style telling of what happened. She only referred to the OK Corral, not one detail, other than who died, who was wounded etc. Up till that last chapter, I considered it at least a 4 star, but that knocked it down to a three star.

Five Dances with Death: Dance One by Austin Briggs :star3:

Historical fantasy set in the Aztec Empire. I enjoyed the book but found the plot confusing at times.

Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson
"The true adventure of two Americans who risked everything to solve one of the last mysteries of World War II."
Dry technical start that explained deep sea wreck diving followed with a good pick up of story line and character development. I was drawn in more with each page, even the research in the Washington DC archives was interesting. It even includes real life insight into the character and personality and political views of some of the U Boat sailors.

The Book of Splendor by Frances Sherwood.
Takes place in 1601 in Prague. A young woman whose mother died giving birth to her is seen as an outcast by the rest of the Jewish community, since she was conceived by rape and so must live with her fathers sin. (Father was a Russian soldier during Ivan the Terrible's reign.) She ends up in a "charity" marriage and must deal with the seeming fear of women the community has (woman cut their hair short, can't be out without their husbands, don't own property and a beautiful woman will bring evil to the community).

Add in a mad king's desire for immortality at all costs, a Christian preacher calling for the extermination of the Jews, and the hinted at threat of a Turkish invasion the town is tottering on the brink of disaster. :star4:

Good story, but with lots of anachronistic language, "Hold your horses.", and some fantasy elements thrown in.

The Railway Viaduct by Edward Marston :star3: The 3rd in the Victorian Railway Detective series-light,but enjoyable reading.

Recently finished Cold Wind by C. J. Box - good story featuring a Game Warden in Wyoming whose job entails issuing offence citations for hunters and fishermen not obeying rules. He gets involved in many situations which are not really related to his job. His mother-in-law's 5th, very rich husband, has been shot and hung from a wind turbine and m-i-law has been charged with his murder. Lots of twists and turns with a good plot and a very surprising ending. :star3:

Been wanting to read this stuff for a while. Where should I start?

Back