• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

Revelation by C.J.Sansom :star4: Another enjoyable historical crime novel set during the reign of Henry VIII. Like revisiting old friends.

Peter Nadas, A Lovely Tale Of Photography (Hungary) :star3:

Each chapter a still life, a photo exposed for a few seconds. Beautiful, lyrical, but often a little too enigmatic for its own good.

Hickory Wind: The Life and Times of Gram Parsons-Ben Fong-Torres.:star3: I didn't know about Parson's central Florida roots...Winter Haven is just up the road from Lake Wales, where I had several great aunts and uncles we used to visit back in the 70s. Nor did I know about his ties with Jim Stafford, who was also from Eloise Fl.(Cypress Gardens is on Lake Eloise). Well written coverage of a life that was extremely troubled and far too short.

PS. I was thrilled to learn something new about Emmylou Harris...move over Vanna White...Emmylou is a crocheter too!:flowers:

The Help-Kathryn Stockett:star5:

I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize there were separate libraries or how much censorship went on in those libraries. Imagine, not being able to read the laws of one's own state without having one's motives questioned. Highly recommended.

The Help-Kathryn Stockett:star5:

I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize there were separate libraries or how much censorship went on in those libraries. Imagine, not being able to read the laws of one's own state without having one's motives questioned. Highly recommended.

I read The Help earlier this year,and it's still the best book I've read this year.

Lost in the Funhouse - John Barth.

A set of connected short stories, one of which was perhaps the most hilarious thing I have ever read. I was laughing out loud out loud and OH was looking at me strangely.

Just Finished: The Burning Land by Bernard Cornwell. The fifth book in the Saxon Tales finds Uhtred of Bebbanburg continuing his heroics. King Alfred the Great tries to unite England while fighting off the Danes. Excellent historical fiction novel.
Book Reviews And Comments By Rick O

Jane Eyre. Had to do a re-re-re-read as it's been decades since the last read. We saw the latest incarnation of JE on film last week, and while I found it atmospherically wonderful, the screenplay left WAY too much out. It hardly seemed a whole story.

And...Sister by Rosamund Lupton. Interesting, twistyly told murder mystery. Lupton took a slightly different narrative style that at first threw me off, but seriously redeemed itself a little way in.
Highly recommended.

Mircea Cartarescu, Orbitor: The Body (Romania) :star5:

The second volume of Cartarescu's three-volume autobiographical novel is just as deliriously surreal as the first. The theme of left wing - body - right wing is past - present - future, so after tackling his family and parents in the first one he now focuses on his own childhood, and the mythical magic of the first is changed for more mundane magical thinking, with worlds nested in worlds like Mandelbrot sets where you can just keep zooming in as far as you want. Utterly brilliant.

Awakening by William Horwood. :star4: The 2nd in a quartet of novels which are nature fantasies set in modern England and the parallel Hyddenworld. The srories revolve around the seasons,and the 1st one was called Spring,tho the author changed the title of book 2 from Summer to Awakening.

Janitors by Tyler Whitesides.... might be interesting if I were 11. I thought it was terribly boring and just plain stupid at a lot of points...and I like weird/ fantasy type stuff.

Room by Emma Donoghue:star4: Very good,tho a bit weird at first as the story's told from a 5 yr old boy's viewpoint,but once you get into his talk it's totally absorbing.

The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield. :star5:
Loved it. It's impossible not to relate with the immense love of books that emanates from it's pages.

The Princess & the Penis, by R.J. Silver :star3:
A subversion of the fairytale The Princess and the Pea. Very funny.

Majgull Axelsson, Moderspassion (Sweden) :star5:

Still one of the greatest living Swedish writers. This one isn't out in English (yet), but her earlier novel April Witch is and you should all read it.

Back