• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

Triomphe et Tragédies à l'Eiger ( 1932 -1938 ) , Rainer Rettner - An historical account about the attempts of mountain climbers from Austria, Germany, Italy, Switzerland and England on the North Face of L'Eiger ( also on its South Face ) -most exploits ended tragically - and finally, the Conquest of this rocky "Giant" .
In fact, this book is very well informed about these tragedies and their reactions in the public opinion, also about the " modus operandi " of mountain climbers during their attack - reading his line - on the faces ( or like Sandri & Menti, a visionaries of the climbing in the '60s, they tried to " open " in 1938 a straight line/straight route or << en fil à aplomb >> on the North Face) and it help us to understand better, the notion of Alpinism between Austrian-German-Italian mountain climbers during the Interwar period ... :star5:

Tina Fey, Bossypants. Well, it's pretty much what you'd expect - funny, but most of the time just a straight-up memoir about Tina Fey by Tina Fey for Tina Fey fans. It does get interesting when she talks about bigger issues - such as why her impersonation of Sarah Palin was so much more controversial than any of the millions of impersonations of male politicians by male comedians - and it is quite funny, but... :star3:

The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino :star4:

Great little twisty detective story. I'll definitely look for more from this author.

Why Translation Matters by Edith Grossman. A persuasive presentation that translation matters more than one might suppose for both literature and for culture.

Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell 3.5/5

Fast paced, funny, dark humor to say the least, and finally a little too brutal for my taste. The author has the patter down right though. I'll probably read more of his work.

Just finished: FDR's funeral train

Warning: The woebegoneness level of this non-fiction book is very high. It's also a fact filled historical recreation of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's funeral train journey of April 13-15, 1945. Robert Klara writes an interesting and perceptive volume of what happened on the trip that history has forgotten. The facts of the book are backed-up by 45 pages of notes. This is another one of those books that I call a "non-fiction thriller". It compares well with other recent books written about past presidents such as The President Is a Sick Man . Lately, I can't get enough of this genre of writing, especially about previous Presidents or historical events.
Book Reviews And Comments By Rick O

Leaving the Atocha Station - Ben Lerner. Debut novel with an innovative style, comical situations and an exceedingly vague but eventually intriguing plot line. Definitely worth reading if one is in the mood for something very different.

The Dispatcher by Ryan David Jahn :star5:

Tale of vengeance, Cormac McCarthy style, according to the Sunday Times, and I have to agree. Jahn's prose is not as painterly as McCarthy, but it is beautiful, and he writes an interesting story.

Isaak Babel, The New Life - a collection mostly of articles he wrote between 1916 and 1924, with the odd interview and short story mixed in. And based on this, I really need to dig out his fiction as well. Incredible stuff, the occasional propaganda piece notwithstanding (and knowing he ended up executed on Stalin's orders, even those take on a few extra layers). :star4:

I just finished 31 ad by David McAfee and I'm starting on 61 AD and omg it's so good! I left a review for it on Amazon, and I can't wait to read the next two in the series. They are amazing. Seems like these days its becoming harder and harder to find a really really really good book!

Back