• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Finished

I loved Neverwhere. Probably helped I used to read it on the tube to and from work, and around London at the time. You never look at an underground stop the same after having read it.

Black Virgin Mountain by Larry Heinemann is a memoir of the author's visits to Viet Nam in two radically different sets of circumstances, first, as an enlisted man in the US Army during the Viet Nam war and, second, during two subsequent peace-time tours of the country. The first 90 pages or so contain his personal and vitriolic rant of bitter hate about his military experience, the officers of the US Army and the elected US Governments of the time. He is eloquent on the subject and his words rise burning off the page. His is personal testimony to the horrors of war-time battle which cannot possibly be imagined by any civilian who has not been in battle. His later peace-time sojourns were much happier times for him as he became better acquainted with the country and its people and his descriptions are informative expositions of the country he has come to love.
It is an excellent book, authentic in its narrative. Read it or not depending how on how strongly you feel about the topic. Many opinions may well be infuriating, no matter what your political persuasion.
:star5:

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L. Shirer :star5:
The Winter of Frankie Machine by Don Winlsow :star3: 1/2
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline :star5: This one was just too much fun on audio! :)

Just finished: The battle of the crater

Gingrich and Forstchen have written one of the most meaningful Civil War novels to date. It reveals the northern general's blunders and also reports hereto unknown information on the brave United States Colored Troops ( the USCT ). After reading this historical novel, I wonder how the Union won the war? The missteps and bobbles by Generals' Meade and Burnside are mind boggling! Sending thousands of troops to their meaningless death is unconscionable, if not criminal! Why would leadership send wave after wave of Union soldiers against Confederate troops hidden in protective trenches only to be slaughtered like sheep?
Book Reviews And Comments By Rick O

Deadly Pink by Vivian Vande Velde - another foray into virtual reality video games; probably mostly aimed at teen girls...a nice change from the usual tween fare.

Just finished: Thunderstruck

Erik Larson juxtaposes a murderer and a inventor and makes it work! This writer will never run out of ideas as witnessed by this historical non-fiction, which is an exemplar of this likable genre of writing. I'm a big fan of this kind of book, only because the reader gets a good dose of history while thinking he, or she is reading a novel. Erik Larson is becoming the most salient author of this style, at least as far as I'm concerned.
Book Reviews And Comments By Rick O

The last book that I read was Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman

I thought that it was amazing, a fairy story for adults.

4.75/5 (as close as you can get to 5 without being 5, the wasp factory - Ian Banks is my 5/5)

Mystery by Jonathan Kellerman. Intricate plot and misleading clues, with critical details withheld until the end. Finally all cleared up with a confession. Good reading.

Back