• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

I didn't realise that it was in three parts - doh! I hate having to wait for new books to be published :(

Lyra, I hear ya! My problem is that by the time I get to the next book, I've read countless books inbetween and it takes me a LONG time to remember the plot when I do finally get back to it. Not to mention the number of series I've started and completely forgotten about over the years. Lately, I've actually started re-reading past incomplete series' just so I can feel the complete story once all the books are published.

Lyra said:
I didn't realise that it was in three parts - doh! I hate having to wait for new books to be published :(

Yeah, sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings! I have done that before myself. I thought it was a single but it's part of a whole. I know a lot of people don't have any problems at all buying a book and then waiting for the next, but not me!!! I alwyas like to buy the whole lot of them and read it all in one big go :)

Lyra said:

So do I, I was waiting for years for Jean Auel to publish the fifth installment of her Earth's children series (was slightly dissapointed when it did finally come out though :( ) and it looks like I'll have to wait another 5+ years for the final book to be published :(

Philip K. Dick - The Man In The High Castle
M. John Harrison - Light
Frederik Pohl & Cyril M. Kornbluth - The Space Merchants
Jack Vance - Lyonesse: Suldrun's Garden
Jack Vance - Lyonesse II: The Green Pearl and Madouc
Gene Wolfe - In Green's Jungles
Gene Wolfe - Return To The Whorl

The Gunslinger by Stephen King
I, Lucifer by some guy with Duncan as his surname (brought after reading the opening line on this forum)
Shopaholic and Sister (yes, yes, it's a chick lit book - so sue me :p )
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

That's the one! Posted by you in best opening lines :)

That opening intrigued me so much that I couldn't help but go and buy the book!

I actually just purchased East of Eden by Steinbeck, and House of Leaves by Danielewski. I purchased House of Leaves after reading some reviews here, and it sounds great. East of Eden has been on my list for awhile, and I bought it because the twins sound much like my twin and I. It should be a great read. :D

The Republic-Plato
First and Last Men-Olaf Stapledon

My dad might actually read The Republic, which bucks the usual trend of books being purchased nominally for him, only for me to read them first and for them to end up on my shelf!

Of course what she obmitted to tell you was that she 'forced' me to get Bill Bryson's latest at the same time, as it was buy one get one 1/2 price :D

Phil

Back