• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Went to the used book store today

Bought War and Peace ($6.48) paid an extra 50 cents to get the copy that didn't have creased covers. It is a VERY long book with VERY small print, so I would've bought a hard cover if they had one.

Also bought The Scar ($3.48). If it sucks, I know where to find all you people that recommended it.

Bought Sun Tzu's The Art of War.

Cheers, Mile-O! :D

~
In a haze, a stormy haze
I'll be round, I'll be loving you, always
~

dogrun.gif

Got some more books! HORAY!

For water like chocolate By Laura Esquivel

SynopsisThe story centers on a pair of star-crossed lovers, Tita and Pedro. Tita is the youngest daughter of Mama Elena and as such is obligated by family tradition to remain single so that she may take care of her mother in her old age.

However Tita and Pedro fall in love and he asks for her hand in marriage. Mama Elena is a cruel and overbearing parent and tells Pedro he can not marry her. She does, however, offer Pedro Tita's sister Rosaura's hand in marriage. He accepts, for very surprising reasons, and thus the saga begins.

Heard SO many good things about this book! I can't wait to read it :) This will be next after I finish the SF one I have right now :)

Timolen Vieta Come Home By Dan Rhodes.

Synopsis Dan Rhodes' debut novel, Timoleon Vieta Come Home: A Sentimental Journey, is a singular mutt of a book. Tracking the paw prints of its titular canine as the scruffy Italian mongrel travels from Umbria to Rome to Pisa and home again (well, almost), the book proves to be a literary mixed-breed in foamingly rabid extremis. Utterly uncategorizable, Timoleon Vieta is by turns satirical, gruesome, charming and, as promised, sentimental. It's a faggy shaggy dog ...

This was a recommendation from a friend. Not sure about this and will be in the TBR pile for awhile ( maybe lol ). Anyway, it could be good :D

The Chrysalids by John Wyndham.

Synopsis The terrifying story of a world paralyzed by genetic mutation. In a community where deviations are rooted out as abominations, David's ability to communicate by "thought shapes" is a dangerous secret. When his ability is discovered, the results are horrific.

OOOOOOOOOOH! Scary :eek: Sounds good!

:)

I just won Holy Blood & Holy Grail off ebay - I wanted to do some more reading around the Da Vinci Code, since it really fascinated me.

Plus, I got What Might Have Been, which is a series of essays by historians on key events in history and what our world might be like if they had/hadn't happened (like if Franz Ferdinand hadn't been assassinated; if Guy Fawkes had blown up the Houses of Parliament).

And, for lighter reading, the latest Marian Keyes :)

I've seen that kind of response a few times across the site and it perturbs me. So what if I liked the book? It's not as if I'm foisting it on folks - I'm just mentioning why I brought a recent book!

I mean, I'm only a newbie, but in your terms and conditions for posting on the forums, it never mentioned anywhere that I should not mention Dan Brown's recent effort.

in your terms and conditions for posting on the forums, it never mentioned anywhere that I should not mention Dan Brown's recent effort.
Now there's an idea.

Speaking of Gaiman (in another thread), my girlfriend bought me American Gods yesterday, along with Palahniuk's Lullaby.

Yay!

Cheers, Martin

magemanda said:
I've seen that kind of response a few times across the site and it perturbs me. So what if I liked the book? It's not as if I'm foisting it on folks - I'm just mentioning why I brought a recent book!

magemanda, it's nothing to do with the book itself (personally I dislike it, well hate it while others here liked it - that's all down to personal taste and what you are looking for from a book).

The worrying thing is people believing the tripe that is in the story and going out to buy books that Brown used as his sources: The Holy Blood & The Holy Grail, The Templar Revelation, and The Women in the Alabaster Jar for example.

You mentioned Holy Blood, Holy Grail so I'll focus on that - while the historical sections of the book are full of facts - the mystery of Rennes-le-Chateau, the Cathars, etc. the ultimate conclusion is, at most, tenuous and to be honest it is completely laughable.

If you want to research the history Brown skirts across and garnishes like a blind chef then I'd suggest you go straight to the source documents: buy the Nag Hammadi Library - read its apocryphal texts and draw your own conclusions; that's the thing with history books - rather than report facts the author typically wants to force their opinions/conclusions on the reader too.

However, as you enjoy Dan Brown, you'll probably enjoy The Cult of Dan Brown. Yes, I'm a member. :D

it never mentioned anywhere that I should not mention Dan Brown's recent effort.

We should expand that to all his efforts.

Ah, but Miles, because I am a confirmed sceptic, next on my list to buy once I've read Holy Blood & Holy Grail are the books that refute it. I like to stay open minded about this kind of thing. The only things we can be sure of when looking at historical events is that 1) we'll never know for sure and 2) the winners write the events.

Basically, I loved the premise behind TDVC and wanted to investigate more. But I also thought it was far too neat, so I want to see where he made his glaring errors.

I liked the Da Vinci code for what it was, a quick, enjoyable read. His historical errors are about as bad as Michael Chrichton's scientific errors.

It's just been very, um, well, let's just say we've talked about it a lot. And there have been varying, and strong, opinions.

I liked TDVC also it was a good read, I also read Holy Blood, Holy Grail it was ok too many names to keep track of in my opinion and overall I think the whole subject is a pretty interesting, what if? I dont put too much stock into the facts presented but I still find it an interesting "conspiracy thing." Overall fun topic to discuss but nothing to get mad over or use the word "hate" about

Oh yea my recent purchases were:

Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa
Learning Biblical Hebrew Step by Step (lots of fun there) by Manheim Mansoor

Recently ordered Guardian of the Tall Stones, which I've been wanting for ages, as shown by this thread here. $3.50 used, thru Amazon. :)

And I bought a book on herbal remedies, as research material for the novel I'm "writing".

Ash, see your TBR pile is still growing! :D

I just got Redemption Ark and Absolution Gap by Alistair Reynolds! Look forward to reading them :)

Amazon order just arrived on my desk :D . I have bought:

Song of Susannah (Dark Tower series)
The Talisman - Stephen King
Sabriel - Garth Nix
Angels and Demons - Dan Brown
Pandora's Star - Peter Hamilton

Can't wait to get stuck in!

Pandora's star should be really good! I am waiting till the other 2 parts though before I read it. I know, I have a long wait lol

:D

Back