• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

VTChEwbecca said:
I believe it was me who giggled. If you don't like The Color of Magic, don't give up. I don't think its one of his better or funnier books. I suggest trying Guards! Guards! or Witches Abroad to give you a better sense of Pratchett. I think my favorite book of his is Reaper Man, which is about Death. Its hard not to love Death, and I love reading about him.

I agree, TCM wasn't one of the funniest. I started them at a friends, and he didn't have his copy of TCM athte time, so i started on the light fantastic, which i found a lot funnier.

Equal rites is good, as is Maskerade. Or Pyramids. Towards the end, his books tend to get a lot more complicated than funny to me, but "A hat full of sky" was very much on the return to funny, good news for fans with short brains :rolleyes:

Lynne (who needs to buy new books)

Raven, In The Heart of the Sea is a pretty good read, if not harrowing at times (it gets much better after the boring bit at the start about the town they leave from :))

Phil

VTChEwbecca said:
I believe it was me who giggled. If you don't like The Color of Magic, don't give up. I don't think its one of his better or funnier books.

I thought it was you, but I wasn't certain! I thought Color was ok. I am going to continue reading the series. Which book were you reading that had the rats in it? I really liked how Pratchett wrote the character of Death. It reminds me of how Death is portrayed in the animated show The Family Guy.

Have you read A Monstrous Regiment yet?

Jules said:
I thought it was you, but I wasn't certain! I thought Color was ok. I am going to continue reading the series. Which book were you reading that had the rats in it? I really liked how Pratchett wrote the character of Death. It reminds me of how Death is portrayed in the animated show The Family Guy.

Have you read A Monstrous Regiment yet?

The one with rats was The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, which is a young adult book, but still cute.

I read Monstrous Regiment, but wasn't overly impressed. It was ok as far as humor, but I think he went a bit overboard with certain aspects of the army and such. I'd say more, but it'd give the plot away.

VTChEwbecca said:
The one with rats was The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, which is a young adult book, but still cute.

I'll have to admit to enjoying that one even though normally I'm not a Pratchett fan

Animal Farm by George Orwell
Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
On the Road by Jack Kerouac

Bucky Katt's Big Book of Fun (Get Fuzzy is quite possibly the best comic ever)

And for the Summer Read buy 3 get 1 free:

Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime
Grendel - John Gardner (retelling from Beowulf from Grendel's perspective)
Slaughterhouse Five (Must read some Vonnegut, never got around to it, Wolf picked this one out )
Running with Scissors

Had to put back I Capture the Castle, Reading Lolita in Tehran, and Life of Pi :(

Ashlea said:
Bucky Katt's Big Book of Fun (Get Fuzzy is quite possibly the best comic ever)

And for the Summer Read buy 3 get 1 free:

Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime
Grendel - John Gardner (retelling from Beowulf from Grendel's perspective)
Slaughterhouse Five (Must read some Vonnegut, never got around to it, Wolf picked this one out )
Running with Scissors

Had to put back I Capture the Castle, Reading Lolita in Tehran, and Life of Pi :(

Grendel sounds very interesting! Is it in the same style as Beowulf?

Beowulf is a poem - Grendel is prose.

Oh, and Ash, next time, do not put Life of Pi back - I enjoyed that no end!

Cheers, Martin

That I don't know - but it was written 1100 years later, so there are bound to be differences.

Cheers, Martin

Yeah, I know this too lol

I just wanna know if they kept the same Skaldic poetic style of if it it's a traditional prose novel. Anyway, sounds interesting. Grendel is one of the great monsters! :D

Just finished War and Peace and picked up The Moviegoer by Percy. Put back Italo Calvani and Vonnegut, but I am sure to pick them up in the near future as well.

SillyWabbit said:
Yes, I know beowulf is a poem. I was asking if they kept the same style as the poem.

No, it's very contemporary. I haven't read it since high school, so I can't be more specific than that.

Back