• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

True@1stLight, read The Sirens of Titan - it's Vonnegut's best, if you ask me.

I wrote a short review for The Siren's of Titan right here, and one for Galapagos you can find here.

Cheers

True@1stLight said:
looking forward to getting into more Eco in the future.

If you haven't read the others then I'd recommend the rest in this order:

• The Name of the Rose
  • Baudolino
  • The Island of the Day Before

Faith in Fakes & How to Travel with a Salmon (essay collections) are certainly worth a read too in order to pass a few hours with wry observations of high art and pop culture.

Thank you Abulafia I think Name of the Rose will be my next Eco book. I'm just finishing up Galapagos, and am heading on to Cosmicomics next. After that I am going to face another tough decision :) . I'm enjoying all of the books I'm reading right now so much that I am scolding myself for waiting so long to get into literature....suprisingly I started writing long ago before I really began reading?!!? :confused: You'd think it wouldn't have taken so long to make the jump. Oh well, all is well that ends well! G'day!

Great! Looking forward to it...I have to go to a wedding this weekend, and my date is the very girl I'm becoming bored with....so Calvino is going to have to save me from all my reuniting with my moron friends from highschool that will be there. :eek:

Leaves of Grass By Walt Whitman... looking forward to read his poetry :)
&
Doomsday Brunette By John Zakour, Lawrence Ganem. This sounds great, very strange and funny! They have one comming out called "Radioactive Redhead!" Must read that JUST for the name :D

RaVeN said:
The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason.

I have to await the arrival of Martin's book by mail, and will start "Rule" tonight. I've all ready seen a few cracks on the book listed in the forum and wondered what faults they found in it.

I decided just to read this and get it out of the way. I'm about 130 pages into it and, I have to say, that I'm not particularly enjoying it. It just isn't that good.

I'm never one to leave a book unfinished though. :(

Just bought Maul by Trisha Sullivan. Someone on a different forum wrote a glowing report on it and I've been eyeing it up for a while so I thought I might as well buy it. Got The Full Cupboard of Life by Alexander McCall Smith. No.1 Ladies' book are always an easy read and I thought it would make a nice little midway break/reward/sanity-saver for during A Suitable Boy. Limbo by Andy Secombe, watched Blackball the other night which was absolutely hilarious and the blurb on the book claims that 'The Final Conflict is about to erupt on Hove's bowling green'. Well that's clearly an omen, isn't it? And finally Triplanetary by Edward E Smith. Aparently this guy is the father of the space opera. Never heard of him before, but the covers look fantastic, and you should always judge a book by the cover. And on the front it says 'A tale of cosmic adventure'. Clearly they saw me coming and slammed them up on the shelves quick.

There were another four books I was going to get, but I thought that might be a bit naughty, so they can go into an Amazon order instead and make some money for Darren.

Finally WAS came in. I'm looking forward to cracking it open tonight and getting into it. From what I've heard it's a very melancholy book, should be interesting.

Today I purchased "An Instance of the Fingerpost" by Iain Pears at a used book store. And a few days ago picked up "Golden Key" by Melanie Rawn through ebay, but it hasn't arrived yet.

RaVeN

Gah!! Has anyone got a few hours :D

Okeydoke:

Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez (or somesuch)
1984 - George Orwell (at last)
On the Road - Jack Kerouac
Animal Farm - George Orwell ... at least i think it was ... although it might have been Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck, i cant remember :)

Anyway - the 4 for £10 rocks at Ottakars!! (even if they NEVER have Catcher in the Rye)

The Neutronium Alchemist - Peter F. Hamilton
A Short History of Everything - Bill Bryson
Digital Fortress & Deception Point by Dan Brown

Several others that i cant remember right now :D

Phil

Picked up The Moviegoer today for the princely sum of 50 good English pence!

So... FirstLight, if this book is rubbish then you owe me 50p :eek: And, if Was is rubbish then I owe you for nothing! Yes, it's not fair, but nobody ever says that wabbits play fair! :D

PHIL! - Love in the Time of Cholera is great! I am reading though this at the moment.

Ottakars have a 4 for £10 deal???? I might have to get myself down there and see what is on offer :)

SillyWabbit said:
Picked up The Moviegoer today for the princely sum of 50 good English pence!

So... FirstLight, if this book is rubbish then you owe me 50p :eek: And, if Was is rubbish then I owe you for nothing! Yes, it's not fair, but nobody ever says that wabbits play fair! :D

Settle for a carrot??

It's definately a different view of things from the author, hope you enjoy! :)

recently purchased

just this weekend?

The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde
Lost in a Good Book - Jasper Fforde
The Well of Lost Plots - Jasper Fforde
Birds Without Wings - Louis de Bernieres

Love in the Time of Cholera is a good read :) it can get a bit long winded, but stay with it, it's worth it :)

Translated books are always a challenge I find.

Youve been waiting a longtime to use that alliteration havnt you Marty Boy :D

Just picked up Catcher in the Rye and Lady Chatterley's Lover as well :) I could get into this modern classics groove :p

Phil

Back