• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

booklush said:
Love in the Time of Cholera is a good read :) it can get a bit long winded, but stay with it, it's worth it :)

Translated books are always a challenge I find.

:eek: A reference to Marquez as long winded! :eek:

Another attack of the three for twos. :eek:

The Blighted Cliffs - Edwin Thomas. Never heard of it, but the cover says it has lusting and boozing and swashing of buckles and that the hero is a nautical version of Flashman. If they're telling the truth, it'll be gradely.

Wry Martinis - Christopher Buckley. Mostly a collection of his magazine work. He's quite a funny chap, and I loved Little Green Men.

The Witches of Chiswick - Robert Rankin. Finally out in paperback. Nobody tells a fib as funny as Rankin.

Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck. Surprisingly short after Grapes of Wrath and East of Eden

Here's my list:
Shall We Tell the President - Jeffrey Archer
The Day They Came to Arrest the Book - Nat Hentoff
Grinny - Nicholas Fisk
The Caves of Steel - Isaac Asimov
Clarence Takes A Vacation - Patricia Lauber
The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Attwood
Black Coffee - Agatha Christie (novelised by Charles Osbourne)
The Return of Heroic Failures - Stephen Pile
Books Do Furnish A Room - Anthony Powell
Is Heathcliff A Murderer? - John Sutherland
Can Jane Eyre Be Happy? - John Sutherland
Neverness - David Zindell

The last 3 were new from a Warehouse sale, the first 9 cost me $2 in total from the local hospice shop. I won't be buying anything more until I've read or disposed of these :)

Despite my vow not to buy any more books until I've ploughed through some on my (ever-growing) reading list, I couldn't resist The Seeing Stone by Kevin Crossley-Holland. It's the first in a kid's trilogy about Arthur. I didn't intend to buy it, but they were offering it for 99p in Ottaker's. That's 99p in a proper bookshop, for a new book! That's like giving it to you for free!

(I do understand that I've been sucker-punched by their brill marketing i.e. brought this book because it's really really cheap, and likely to buy the other two if I enjoy it!)

Next on my wish list is the fourth Sookie Stackhouse book by Charlaine Harris, and Angel-Seeker by Sharon Shinn (the latter of which will have to be shipped from the States, because her books are rarely released in this country).

Amazon delivery arrived - I bought:

Choke - Chuck Palahniuk
I, Lucifer - Glen Duncan
The Straw Men - Michael Marshall
The Hundred Secret Sense - Amy Tan
Mister Monday & Grim Tuesday - Garth Nix

Can't wait to get stuck into that lot. Also seems a good opportunity to say how many different types of books I have enjoyed since joining this forum. None of my friends are really into reading so I never used to have anywhere to go for recommendations - yay for the book forum :D (and in particular Martin I think as his recommendations always seem to end up on my tbr list!)

I got two new ones to add to my book mountain of words, paper and beautiful intentions...

After being impressed with "Like water for chocolate," I got Swift as Desire

Book Description
A magical, sensual love story about a Mexian telegraph operator who sets the world to rights by benevolently mistranslating messages.

Synopsis
Instead of entering the world crying, like other babies, Jubilo was born with a smile on his face. He had a gift for hearing what was in people's hearts, for listening to sand dunes sing and insects whisper. Even as a young boy, acting as an interpreter between his warring Mayan grandmother and Spanish-speaking mother, he would translate words of spite into words of respect, so that their mutual hatred turned to love. When he grew up, he put his gift to good use in his job as a humble telegraph operator. But now the telegraph lies abandoned, obsolete as a form of communication in the electronic age, and Don Jubilo is on his deathbed, mute and estranged from his beloved wife, Lucha, who refuses to speak to him. What tragic event has come between such two such sensuous, loving people to cause their seemingly irreparable rift? What mystery lies behind the death of the son no-one ever mentions? Can their daughter bring reconciliation to her parents before it is too late, by acting as an interpreter between them in Morse code, just as Jubilo used to do for other people?

HORAY! Magical Realism and romance ;)

And I also got 20,000 Leauges Under the Sea

Synopsis
From the back cover blurb: Was one of the first and still one fo the greatest adventure stories ever written of man's explorations into other worlds. With the mysterious Captain Nemo, and the crew of the Nautilus, we meet the strange and beautiful creatures of the deep , and learn the secrets of an underwater world where no man has gone before...

HORAY! Adventures under the sea! Can't wait :)

SillyWabbit said:
And I also got 20,000 Leauges Under the Sea

Synopsis
From the back cover blurb: Was one of the first and still one fo the greatest adventure stories ever written of man's explorations into other worlds. With the mysterious Captain Nemo, and the crew of the Nautilus, we meet the strange and beautiful creatures of the deep , and learn the secrets of an underwater world where no man has gone before...

HORAY! Adventures under the sea! Can't wait :)
I don't want to disencourage you, but there will be more very detailed descriptions of engines of the submarine, than adventures.

BTW, have you read the first part of Jules Verne's Trilogy, or do you start from the second part?

Back