• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Chommy chom-chom-chom

As most of you know, it's my birthday-got a great gift from the wife as we went "to the city" and I went on a spending spree of sorts. When it came to books, I chose:

Hegemony or Survival by Noam Chomsky

Imperial Ambitions: Post-911 conversations by Noam Chomsky

Capital City by Nebraska author Mari Sandoz

The Working Poor: Invisible in America by David Shipler

and.....

The Art of War by Sun Tzu

So, I went for a more current events kind of reading as I'm loaded up on literature as it is. Life is good.:cool:

CDA said:
Good luck....

Thanks! Don't worry, I know it's not the only book in the library. If it's not my cuppa I'll move on. But some folks around here seem to think it's better than a certain book by Dan Brown, so we'll see.

Just bought

Dune by Frank Herbert
Dragon Wing The Death Gate Cycle book 1 by margaret weis & Tracy Hickman

I am such a pack rat when it comes to books... I buy them just to have them on my shelves. I can't tell you how many books live on my shelves that I have never read. I can't remember what the last books I bought were because I'm always buying something...
I do have on hold right now:

Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test & Naked Lunch

yes i'm a hippy :eek:

My mother's birthday is in a few days, and since she also enjoys reading I bought her some books:

Pride and Predujice by Jane Austen
The Cereal Murders by Diane Mott Davidsen

For myself... I ordered Stephen King's new novel from b&n.com. It should arrive in the mail very soon.

^ I have to wait till I finish The Blind Assassin. Why oh why did it arrive just after I started reading a new book??? :mad: I'm all impatient. :p

angerball said:
^ I have to wait till I finish The Blind Assassin. Why oh why did it arrive just after I started reading a new book??? :mad: I'm all impatient. :p

One of my theories about the reading life includes the idea of 'feast or famine' when it comes to having good stuff to read at any given moment. This is why we find ourselves buying or checking out way more books than we can read in a natural lifetime.

abecedarian said:
One of my theories about the reading life includes the idea of 'feast or famine' when it comes to having good stuff to read at any given moment. This is why we find ourselves buying or checking out way more books than we can read in a natural lifetime.

Makes sense to me.:)

There is a new second hand store near here. The Philosophers Stone. I don't think its a franchise, although I didn't get into a long conversation with the owner. Anyhow, I bought:

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: The Master's Choice [27 tantalizing stories selected by the World-Renowned Connoisseur of the Ultimate in Mystery and Suspense]

DeLesseps S. Morrison and the Image of Reform [New Orleans Politics, 1946-1961 by Edward F. Haas

The Oxford Book of Oxford Chosen and Edited by Jan Morris

The Life of Buffalo Bill by William F. Cody ( :D )

And two of Jean Auel's series.

pontalba said:
There is a new second hand store near here. The Philosophers Stone. I don't think its a franchise, although I didn't get into a long conversation with the owner. Anyhow, I bought:

Alfred Hitchcock Presents: The Master's Choice [27 tantalizing stories selected by the World-Renowned Connoisseur of the Ultimate in Mystery and Suspense]

DeLesseps S. Morrison and the Image of Reform [New Orleans Politics, 1946-1961 by Edward F. Haas

The Oxford Book of Oxford Chosen and Edited by Jan Morris

The Life of Buffalo Bill by William F. Cody ( :D )

And two of Jean Auel's series.

Only 6 books??? :confused: ;) :D

:D I must admit thats not counting my Amazon haul from the last two days.
Laughter in the Dark by Vladimir Nabokov
The Defense "
Transparent Things "
The Cambridge Companion to Nabokov
Edited by Julian W. Connolly

:eek:

:p
Steffee how'd ya guess?? LOL

pontalba said:
:D I must admit thats not counting my Amazon haul from the last two days.
Laughter in the Dark by Vladimir Nabokov
The Defense "
Transparent Things "
The Cambridge Companion to Nabokov
Edited by Julian W. Connolly

:eek:

:p
Steffee how'd ya guess?? LOL

;) ;) ;) ;) :D

i bought a Daphne Du Maurier hardcover with Rebecca, Jamaica Inn, Her Cousin Rachel, and Frenchman's Creek in it. I have them all already but it was an awesome edition that I couldn't pass up.

Today I got Wilkie Collins' The Woman in White

Back