• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

I've just bought the following:

The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse - Robert Rankin
Angels and Demons - Dan Brown (I read the Da Vinci Code and loved it, so I bought this)
The Game - Laurie King
The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
Eats, Shoots and Leaves - Lynne Truss

Anyone read these and/or have any comments about them? Please just don't give anything away.

I cannot leave a bookstore without a book purchase....

Hi Jules, you probably don't know me (I think YOU KNOW WHO is watching) but I liked Angels & Demons a lot. If you like The D.C. you'll like this one too.

I've heard good things about the Time Traveler's Wife & will probably get it myself eventually.

And is The Game King's latest in the Mary Russel series? I've read a number of Kings earlier works and I would think you'll enjoy it.

Nice meeting you... uhmmm...what's your name again?

RaVeN

Yes - The Game is the newest in the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series. I had to get it. When I get hooked on a book in a series, I have to read the entire series. I'll let you know what the others are like.

Have we met before? You seem so familiar. Maybe in another lifetime. ;)

I've read 4 (I think ) from that series and liked them a lot but haven't read The Game. If you're into that type of thing you should enjoy it.

'til my thoughts cross your dreams. The guy that smells...kinda familiar,

RaVeN

Against a Dark background: Iain M Banks
Thieves World - Book 8: Asprin
Dear Me: Peter Ustinov

All second hand

SillyWabbit said:
I agree, love the south. I never met a yankee I liked :D

Regards
SillyWabbit

You should see my in-laws...my mother-in-law is definitely a RI Yankee and my father-in-law is from South Carolina. Their mothers couldn't even understand one another when they met, because their accents are so thick. So I married a half-Yankee, but he's mostly Southern, so that's ok. ;)

Raven said:
My humble apologies Miss ChEwbecca,

Next time I'm down South I'll stop by your trailer and pay my respects. :p

Hey now, I've a house since that last tornado took out my trailer :p

SillyWabbit said:
Senor Vivo and the Coca Lord by Louis De Bernieres

Have you read The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts? I read these a few years ago and LOVED THEM but if I remember correctly reading this one first will really help.

My Mum just bought (she didnt actually expect to get to read them first, honest!!)

His Dark Materials Trilogy
The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series

Which i shall be reading shortly :)

Phil

Ashlea said:
Have you read The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts? I read these a few years ago and LOVED THEM but if I remember correctly reading this one first will really help.

No, I have not read that :)

You think it is essential to read the other one first???

Regards
SillyWabbit

SillyWabbit said:
No, I have not read that :)

You think it is essential to read the other one first???

Regards
SillyWabbit

Maybe not 100% essential but STRONGLY recommended.

I just read the synopsis on Amazon of The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts and it sounds great! I'm going to have to pick it up soon. :)

I've recently added 3 hardbacks to my collection.

In Cold Blood- Truman Capote
Fatherland- Robert Harris
Idlewild- Nick Sagan

RaVeN

I hope the forum doesn't go down again for quite some time. I had time to kill today and went on a spending spree at 2 bookstores (and ebay). Today I bought the hardbacks of:

Blindness- Jose Saramago
Everything is Illuminated- Jonathon Safran Foer
Diary- Chuck Palahniuk
The Five People You Meet in Heaven- Mitch Albom
Oryx and Crake- Margaret Atwood
Ender's Game & Speaker For the Dead- Orson Scott Card
Hyperion & The Fall of the Hyperion- Dan Simmons

And a pair of book club editions by Michael Moorcock - The Elric Saga ,Parts 1 & 2. They contain 3 stories in each that I assume were each seperate books when first published.

RaVeN

Have just taken advantage of my local bookshop's 3 for 2 offer. Wait, on seconds thoughts my local bookshop has just taken advantage of me; I only wanted one book but decided I might as well pay for a second in order to get the third free. I hate marketeers!

Anyway, here's the books:
Bryan Magee "Confessions of a Philosopher"
Jared Diamond "Guns, Germs and Steel"
Joseph Conrad "The Secret Agent"

RaVeN! You're a good man!!

Blindness and Everything is Illuminated are brilliant!!

By the way, when was the site down?

Cheers, Martin
Grin.gif

I just got...

Michelangelo and the Pope's Ceiling -- Ross King
Dark Eagles -- Curtis Peebles
Nine Stories -- J.D. Salingers
The Gnostic Gospels -- Elaine Pagels
and The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey -- Kenneth Blanchard ..for work...gotta love it... :rolleyes:

Welcome back, Martin. Did you have a nice holiday? Or are you still on holiday?

I'm with you there on "Blindness" by Saramago.

Happy - belated - whit sunday.

Hobitten :)

Back