• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Martin said:
Good. I seriously want to know what you think of it.

I absolutely adore it! Fantastic!!

Cheers, Martin :cool:

Looks like I'll be starting it in the next few days. It (& The Scar) arrived in todays mail.

Quite a provocative blurb it has inside the dust jacket, I'll give it that much.

RaVeN

Just got 2 new books! :)

John Grisham's A Painted house
Synopsis
Until that September of 1952, Luke Chandler had never kept a secret or told a single lie. But in the long, hot summer of his seventh year, two groups of migrant workers — and two very dangerous men — came through the Arkansas Delta to work the Chandler cotton farm. And suddenly mysteries are flooding Luke’s world.

AND!

Senor Vivo and the Coca Lord by Louis De Bernieres
Synopsis
Louis de Bernières is a masterful writer, which is to say his command of the various crafts of writing--creating character, innovative description, telling a whopping good story--weaves a spell and sucks you into the magic. From the moment Dionisio Vivo and Ramón "Cochinillo" Dario attend to the cravate corpse deposited in his garden by the coca lords, you become ensconced in the world of Ipasueño, its passions, ironies and political intrigues, and cease to be aware of the hand of Bernières behind the scenes.
Dionisio, a professor of philosophy, writes a series of letters, published in the prestigious journal La Prensa, castigating the coca trade, and from there the story spins furiously in many directions and subplots. There's the love affair of the century between Dionisio and Anica Moreno, Lazaro's tragic dance with leprosy, and--to the great pleasure of fans of Bernières's previous novel, The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts--further interactions with the magical jaguars and human inhabitants of Cochadebajo de los Gatos. Events take their course in the way of a grand tragicomedy, with the devastation that's expected followed by the irrepressible joy of life that's never expected and Bernières's tongue-in-cheek touch throughout.

It's a delightfully mesmerising book. Set in a mythical South American country that's a composite of real South American history and Bernières's fertile imagination, and therefore a perfect companion to take on a south-of-the-border vacation--the book is awash in the realities and flavour of South America and the lunacies of Bernières's genius.

Sounds great, right? I read the first few lines and it was talking about a woman that had given birth to a cat! I love magic realisim :) I love latin american style too. They have this great anecdotal style that I really like. They always seem to reference to future events too.

AND, John Grisham sounds really good too. I got this coz Bobby and Raven were harping on about it's greatness! If it is not good then I am comming for you with my sharp pointy wabbit teeth!!! :D

Regards
SillyWabbit

SillyWabbit said:
AND, John Grisham sounds really good too. I got this coz Bobby and Raven were harping on about it's greatness! If it is not good then I am comming for you with my sharp pointy wabbit teeth!!! :D

One late side note: It's possible you may have to be American to truly enjoy this book. :D

RaVeN

Dont know, I spent enough time in the U.S ( south ) so maybe that will help :D

Anyway, it better be good or else! :p

Regards
SillyWabbit

First of all, spending alot of time in the US South doesn't help any one.

And second, I read the Wasp Factory because of you & the Dutch Dude so I figure you owe me one. :p

Enjoy it!

RaVeN

why not? its set in the south. :p

Anyway, what do you mean with the Wasp Factory crack? That book is the wasps knees!

American's have no taste anyway. I should proablyjust burn the Grisham novel :p :D

Regards
SillyWabbit

We may not have good taste but we taste good. :p

And never burn a good book unless you run out of Zig Zags. :D

Now read the damn thing icehole.

RaVeN

RaVeN said:
Never a truer word was spoken. How I remember that fateful day when Mike turned to me and said 'This is the South. We do things differently here.' I should have run, screaming back to safe old Blighty. But I was a fool. A damn sorry fool.

Hunter - by Andrew Macdonald
Speaker for the dead - by Orson Card
A Game of Thrones - George Martin :eek:

For school:

Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky
Their Eyes were watching God - Zora Neale Hurston

RaVeN said:

Hey now, the South is just fine. One can learn a lot from the ways of the South, at least we know how to be friendly and respectful down this way.
:p

VTChEwbecca said:
Hey now, the South is just fine. One can learn a lot from the ways of the South, at least we know how to be friendly and respectful down this way.

I agree, love the south. I never met a yankee I liked :D

Regards
SillyWabbit

VTChEwbecca said:

My humble apologies Miss ChEwbecca,

Next time I'm down South I'll stop by your trailer and pay my respects. :p

RaVeN

Back