• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

kuroc said:
Whats that about?
It's about some Christian missionaries from southern USA in the 50's, who travel to the Congo during the time of unrest there. It's very good - I have read it already, but wanted a copy for myself.

Here's some more information on it from Amazon:

As any reader of The Mosquito Coast knows, men who drag their families to far-off climes in pursuit of an Idea seldom come to any good, while those familiar with At Play in the Fields of the Lord or Kalimantaan understand that the minute a missionary sets foot on the fictional stage, all hell is about to break loose. So when Barbara Kingsolver sends missionary Nathan Price along with his wife and four daughters off to Africa in The Poisonwood Bible, you can be sure that salvation is the one thing they're not likely to find. The year is 1959 and the place is the Belgian Congo. Nathan, a Baptist preacher, has come to spread the Word in a remote village reachable only by airplane. To say that he and his family are woefully unprepared would be an understatement: "We came from Bethlehem, Georgia, bearing Betty Crocker cake mixes into the jungle," says Leah, one of Nathan's daughters. But of course it isn't long before they discover that the tremendous humidity has rendered the mixes unusable, their clothes are unsuitable, and they've arrived in the middle of political upheaval as the Congolese seek to wrest independence from Belgium. In addition to poisonous snakes, dangerous animals, and the hostility of the villagers to Nathan's fiery take-no-prisoners brand of Christianity, there are also rebels in the jungle and the threat of war in the air. Could things get any worse?

kuroc said:
Whats that about?

From Amazon:
As any reader of The Mosquito Coast knows, men who drag their families to far-off climes in pursuit of an Idea seldom come to any good, while those familiar with At Play in the Fields of the Lord or Kalimantaan understand that the minute a missionary sets foot on the fictional stage, all hell is about to break loose. So when Barbara Kingsolver sends missionary Nathan Price along with his wife and four daughters off to Africa in The Poisonwood Bible, you can be sure that salvation is the one thing they're not likely to find. The year is 1959 and the place is the Belgian Congo. Nathan, a Baptist preacher, has come to spread the Word in a remote village reachable only by airplane. To say that he and his family are woefully unprepared would be an understatement: "We came from Bethlehem, Georgia, bearing Betty Crocker cake mixes into the jungle," says Leah, one of Nathan's daughters. But of course it isn't long before they discover that the tremendous humidity has rendered the mixes unusable, their clothes are unsuitable, and they've arrived in the middle of political upheaval as the Congolese seek to wrest independence from Belgium. In addition to poisonous snakes, dangerous animals, and the hostility of the villagers to Nathan's fiery take-no-prisoners brand of Christianity, there are also rebels in the jungle and the threat of war in the air. Could things get any worse?

It's very good - I have read it already, but wanted to buy a copy for myself.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Used trade paper for $2. Proceeds to Huntington Society of Canada, Niagara Chapter.

50% off sale at the local thrift store. I got there kinda late though....everything had been picked through....grrrr....:mad:
I did get these little jewels though.

White Oleander - Janet Fitch

Frankenstein:The Prodigal Son - Dean Koontz

Our Lady of the Forest - David Guterson

Guerrillas - V.S. Naipaul

Dangerous Minds - LouAnne Johnson (a woman with the whitest name in the world writing about inner city kids....puh-leeeeeeeezzzz!!!):rolleyes:

Blood Work - Michael Connelly

...all for $2.50.:D

:) Oh I loved 'White Oleander' - Janet Fitch

Just bought buy it now on ebay 'Lost' by Michael Robotham HB as new £2.99 + only 99p post and pack :eek: ....
I nearly paid £12.99 for it today in Waterstones...so pleased I waited..yo! :D

At last I have managed to go to Border’s Books in Glasgow to spend a book Token that I received from my dear daughter on Mothers Day in March.:)

I bought

Out - Natsua Kirino
The Suspect - Michael Robotham
The Palace of Heavenly Pleasure - Adam Williams
Broken Verses - Kamila Shamsie

CattiGuen said:
50% off sale at the local thrift store. I got there kinda late though....everything had been picked through....grrrr....:mad:
I did get these little jewels though.

White Oleander - Janet Fitch

Frankenstein:The Prodigal Son - Dean Koontz

Our Lady of the Forest - David Guterson

Guerrillas - V.S. Naipaul

Dangerous Minds - LouAnne Johnson (a woman with the whitest name in the world writing about inner city kids....puh-leeeeeeeezzzz!!!):rolleyes:

Blood Work - Michael Connelly

...all for $2.50.:D

Thanks for reminding me about Our Lady of the Forest, I wanted to pick that up this weekend and it's on sale at Barnes and Noble :)

Batman: Year One by Frank Miller (for $9.99; hardcover in perfect condition)
Daughter of Fortune by Isabelle Allende (for $7.99; hardcover in pretty damn close to perfect condition)
These great discounts really make me happy.

I went to London for the weekend and managed to find half an hour to pick up a few books:

The Sea - John Banville
Bitter Fruit - Achmat Dangor
High Fidelity - Nick Hornby
White Teeth - Zadie Smith

I was finally finally finally able to get a copy of Lolita! I wanted it in English and I didn't want the movie tie-in edition, which turned out to complicate things to no end... I got the vintage international 50th anniversary edition for I better not tell you how much because I'm sure you would all choke :eek:.
English books in Paris don't come cheap :mad: .

NotTheDoctor said:
I was finally finally finally able to get a copy of Lolita! I wanted it in English and I didn't want the movie tie-in edition, which turned out to complicate things to no end... I got the vintage international 50th anniversary edition for I better not tell you how much because I'm sure you would all choke :eek:.
English books in Paris don't come cheap :mad: .
Sounds verra :cool: !
and Yay! :D

My Amazonian delivery of the day:

The New York Trilogy Paul Auster
it includes:
City of Glass
Ghosts
The Locked Room

No Time to Hide by Rob Palmer

I did go and buy Our Lady of the Forest by David Guterson and the Queen of the South by Arturo Perez-Reverte, this weekend and saw 3 other books for sale that I may have to sneak back later and pick up.

The mailcarrier brought All Over But the Shoutin by Rick Bragg, a RABK from a fellow bookcrosser..

Then at the library, I picked up:

Rhinos For Lunch and Elephants for Supper-Tololwa Mollel
Menopause for Dummies-Marcia Jones
Dreams of Trespass:Tales of a Harem Girlhood-Fatima Mernissi
Transgressions-Sarah Dunnant
Velvet Elvis:Repainting the Christian Faith- Rob Bell

Ronny said:
I did go and buy Our Lady of the Forest by David Guterson and the Queen of the South by Arturo Perez-Reverte, this weekend and saw 3 other books for sale that I may have to sneak back later and pick up.

I loved loved loved the Queen of the South (even though at times it was hard to understand the Mexican slang)! Let me know what you think of it. Is it your first Pérez-Reverte book? Ok, too many questions, sorry, I'm very excited because right now he's my favorite writer :p . I wonder what it'd be like to read his books in English... Ok, I'll shut up, sorry :eek: Enjoy!!!

NotTheDoctor said:
I loved loved loved the Queen of the South (even though at times it was hard to understand the Mexican slang)! Let me know what you think of it. Is it your first Pérez-Reverte book? Ok, too many questions, sorry, I'm very excited because right now he's my favorite writer :p . I wonder what it'd be like to read his books in English... Ok, I'll shut up, sorry :eek: Enjoy!!!

The Club Dumas was one of my favorite books of 2005 and my first by him. I plan on reading all of his books :) I'll get back to you after I've finished the 2(I also picked up the Flanders Panel awhile back) I've bought.

On yet another whim....I sauntered over to the thrift store after school and picked up A Dive from Clausen's Pier I dont know when I'll have time to read it though....maybe if I dont sleep....hmmmm:rolleyes:

Back