• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

I had a bargain today 5 brand new Patricia Cornwell books for £6.00 also bought Ronnie Barkers autobiography. I am currently reading Rebecca, read it before and absolutely love it.

I just purchased Field Notes From a Catastrophe by Elizabeth Kolbert. The subtitle is "Man, Nature, and Climate Change." In other words it is about global warming and I didn't feel I could responsibly pass up a favorable review of the book in Scientific American.

Saturday morning as I was leaving a fund raiser at church, my pastor gave me a book by Josh McDowell called The DaVinci Code: A Quest For Answers.

Stewart said:
What did you do with it?

Its in my bathroom..I'm sure I'll thumb through it to see the theological arguments against TDC. My pastor and I had been talking about the book after he mentioned it from the pulpit recently. I challenged him to read the book..so when he received THIS book free, he thumbed through it, and gave it to me. I'm guessing this is as close to Dan Brown's book as he'll ever get. I'll have to read it Stewart, I have a feeling there WILL be a quiz:p

Bought today, finally in paperback :D :
Dead beat by Jim Butcher
The dark tower by Stephen King.

So now I'll finally start on The Dark Tower series! :) :) I've only read The Gunslinger and I think I'll reread it first to pick up all the threads again. Just the great prospect of knowing what the next seven books you'll read will be... :D ;)

*mrkgnao*

Recently, I've bought:
The Shipping News, Annie Proulx
The Woman Who Walked Into Doors, Roddy Doyle
The Sea, John Banville
The Story of Mr Sommer, Patrick Suskind
Oryx and Crake, Margaret Atwood

And just ordered because ABC made me ;) :
Broken Verses, Kamila Shamsie

steffee said:
Recently, I've bought:
The Shipping News, Annie Proulx
The Woman Who Walked Into Doors, Roddy Doyle
The Sea, John Banville
The Story of Mr Sommer, Patrick Suskind
Oryx and Crake, Margaret Atwood

And just ordered because ABC made me ;) :
Broken Verses, Kamila Shamsie

Oh sure, blame me! "ABC made me buy that book!" I'm having a flashback to the 70's here...Flip Wilson as Geraldine...:D
Anyway, I do hope you enjoy Broken Verses:)

Well, I have to 'fess up.....
Red Mars
Green Mars
Blue Mars
by Kim Stanley Robinson

Talk about surreal! Nabokov and Mars........Amazon must think (for some strange reason) that I am a verra um, lets just say diverse.:eek: :D

Went to a Maple Syrup Festival in Powasson ON this past weekend. The town church was having a basement sale on used books. $5 for as many as you can fit in a grocery bag. This is my yield:

Hardcover 1st Edition of Chesapeake by James A. Michener.
Hardcover 1st Edition of Journey by James A. Michener.
I haven't done my research to see if anything precedes it but I may have a printing of the first english translation of Alexander Solzhenitsyn's The Gulag Archipelago translated by Thomas P. Whitney.

Not that any of these are of any value beyond my own satisfaction but I do enjoy first editions. I also managed to find some nifty mass markets:

Cancer Ward by Alexander Solzhenitsyn. Particularly looking forward to this.
Russka by Edward Rutherford.
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.
Texas by James A. Michener.
Journey by James A. Michener. I grabbed this by mistake. Meant to put it back after finding the hardcover. Considering it's a book I've already read not sure why I need two copies but there they are.

I purchased these books yesterday:

Fall on Your Knees
The Way the Crow Flies by Ann-Marie MacDonald

I have read the first, and loved it, and I purchased the second because of all the good things I have been hearing about it

MonkeyCatcher said:
I purchased these books yesterday:

Fall on Your Knees
The Way the Crow Flies by Ann-Marie MacDonald

I have read the first, and loved it, and I purchased the second because of all the good things I have been hearing about it

I bought Fall On Your Knees a week or so ago and I'm really looking forward to it.

I also picked up Toward the End of Time by John Updike, a Rose for the Crown by Anne Easter Smith, Prayers fot the Assassin by Robert Ferrigno and Middlemarch by George Eliot recently.

Made it to the used bookstore place that I love and bought Sinclair Lewis's Elmer Gantry and Main Street. Also bought a book about business plans off of Amazon.:cool:

Back