• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

steffee said:
Does chocolate cause arthritis? Oh no :(
I don't know if it causes it but it certainly does exacerbate the situation to the point that I have to stop eating it every so often. The older I get the worse it is. All I know that a few weeks after I stop all chocolate, I don't hurt as much, and the longer I go without, the better my body feels. The circumstantial evidence is overwhelming. Unfortunately. :(

Oh no Pontalba, that's a shame. Maybe it might be the sugar or something, you could try a diabetic variety. A friend of mine gets migraines from eating chocolate. Strange.

Steffee No, its not the sugar, I don't cut out other sweets, only chocolate.:(

abc Great! Um, the entry fee is a..........you got it! A Book!:D

I really enjoy how he uses dialogue to show his story. And he's the first author I've read (the book being The Snapper) to make me laugh out loud in public.

South Paw and I went shopping this afternoon. After petting the lovely feline greeters, we came home with:

The Red Pony-John Steinbeck
Travels With Charley-Steinbeck
The Floatplane Notebook-Clyde Edgerton
Barabbas-Par Lagerkvist
The Playmaker-Thomas Keneally
The Time Of Butterflies-Julia Alvarez
The Everything Wedding Book
Sophie's World-Jostein Gaarder
The Sacred Tomorrow-Brent Curtis and John Edgerton

This morning, in a therapeutic moment, I bought another book -- Time Bites by Doris Lessing. From the front inside cover, it is "the only collection of literary essays and criticism by one of the most distinguished writers of our time." However, I was immediately impressed by the clarity and conversational style of her writing, so I look forward to considerable enjoyment from the book. Her opening sentences are especially notable as wonderful beginnings to the half dozen essays I sampled.
Peder

steffee said:
Oooh, Sophie's World Abc, have you read that? :D :D :D

Not yet, but I'd seen it reccomended by several people for the Olympic Challenge. So now I have two Swedish authors:D I read Barabbas by Par Lagerkvist way back in the dark ages(1979) and grabbed it when I saw it at the store..it's still a good read.

I must admit to a few new aquisitions as well, um...

We Don't Live Here Anymore
Finding a Girl in America
Adultery & Other Choices
by Andre Dubus

And two collections of short stories by Peter Tremayne
they are:
Whispers of the Dead
Hemlock at Vespers

15 stories each

I read a companion story to the above in The Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine recently and enjoyed it. They are fairly simple, but interesting.

Today I bought:
Husbands, Adele Parks
The Reading Group, Alizabeth Noble
The Constant Princess, Philippa Gregory
Teacher Man, Frank McCourt
because they were buy 1 get 1 half price in Smiths, and I had 34 minutes to kill in the train station :rolleyes:

No more 'til April now, I'm very skint.

Abc, Sophie's World is brilliant!

I even considered Roddy Doyle! :rolleyes:

in the interests of filling some serious gaps, i have just ordered:
- The Red and the Black
- Mrs Dalloway
- Thus Spoke Zarathustra ...

I've just received a gift voucher for Amazon. It took me about 11 minutes to spend it, and I ordered:

Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit - Jeanette Winterton
Gilead - Marilynne Robinson
Revolutionary Road - Richard Yates
Caligula - Robert Graves
The Great Wall of China - Franz Kafka

Today I went to Waterstone’s and I bought

The Harmony Silk Factory – Tash Aw
The Remains of the Day – Kazuo Ishiguro
Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke
Long Walk to Freedom – Nelson Mandela

Just Purchased

Just purchased a book by a new author. A friend in my book club told me she knows the author so I'm giving it a shot:

The One by Jeff Kozlowski

Back