• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Today I picked up Oscar & Lucinda by Peter Carey, The Magicians Assistant by Ann Patchett, Blood Orange by Drusilla Campbell and Books of Blood by Clive Barker at the used book shop.

Today I just bought three of the books in the The Vampire Chronicles
by Anne Rice.:cool:

What are some more good vampire and werewolf books?

pontalba said:
Well, my book fairy just gave me what are probably two of the most 'opposite ends of the spectrum' books one can imagine. :cool:

Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

The Fifth Woman by Henning Mankell

I had to start the mystery first, but it was close. :D ;)

I'll be interested to hear your opinions of these two books. :)

Me too Pontalba, especially Gilead. It's one of those books that everyone seems to have read yet nobody has anything to say about it.

This morning I made a personal best on book buying! 20 books! All from charity shops. :D

The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood £2.50
Empress Orchid - Anchee Min £2.00
The Business - Iain Banks £2.00
Chromosome 6 - Robin Cook £0.30
Fatal Cure - Robin Cook £0.30
The Tale of the Body Thief - Anne Rice £1.59
Servant of the Bones - Anne Rice £1.59
Practical Magic - Alice Hoffman £1.59
My Sister's Keeper - Jodi Picoult £1.59
Sorceress - Celia Rees £1.59
Chocolat - Joanne Harris £0.75
A Room with a View - E.M. Forster £0.75
The Magician's Nephew - C.S. Lewis £0.75
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis £0.75
The Horse and His Boy - C.S. Lewis £0.75
Prince Caspian - C.S. Lewis £0.75
The Silver Chair - C.S. Lewis £0.75
The Last Battle - C.S. Lewis £0.75
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass (Children's Classics) - Lewis Carroll £0.20
Hello Bunny Alice - Laura Wilson £0.99

I still need one of the Chronicles of Narnia books, but I wanted to buy them as they were all from the same set! A few of the books were ones I'd heard recommended around here, so I was curious. Others were just either by an author I knew already or I loved the movie (such as Practical Magic).

Now I have 61 books on my TBR shelves. :confused:

Still & Steffee I absolutely love the Mankell, I would recommend this author to anyone that likes a good detective story. It is very intense but the characters are laid back. I want to get the whole series now. This is a police procedural, but not in the American sense. The gore is kept to a minimum and described, but not creepily so. Its not dwelled upon, but is integral to the story. The reader is kept aprised of goings on with both 'sides' but only to a certain extent on the perps side. Plus I love the way the author brings in the personal lives of some of the characters.

I'll write about Gilead later down the road.....after Glory. :eek: ;)

tartan skirt!! You go girl! TBR piles are the best part of owning books! Yay! Oh the anticipation! :D And I really like and appreciate the way you say you need certain books.....a true book lover. :)

New Old Book

Greetings!

I am brand new to this forum, but I joined in order to facilitate my addiction and admit I have one... ;). Didn't see an "introductions thread," so thought I'd just jump in with the latest purchase here! In the matter of recently purchased books, I tend to haunt thrift stores to see what gems will turn up, hidden between the masses of Harlequin Romances. My husband actually found the one I am reading (this is in addition to the Gap Series that my status message says I'm currently reading-can't just read one at a time!).

The new addition is called Meeting with Japan by Fosco Maraini and was written in 1959 (or at least translated to English then) and covers his memories of and observations of extensive travel in Japan in the early 1950's. It is wonderfully detailed and has depth; he was an Italian who lived in Japan with his family in the late 1930's, before the war and was now returning after the war to see the changes and meet up with old friends. It is at once a travelogue, memoir, photojournal (some lovely photographs!) and a foreign/not-so-foreign eye on the world of immediate postwar Japan, where the old ways had not perished but remained hidden in the countryside places and shrines he visited.

I am on an ongoing quest to ferret out other books on Japan, both literary and nonfiction or historical. Just about anything I'll give a chance, as I seem to be becoming omniverous in my middle age. I live in the middle of nowhere, and books are becoming more necessary to my sanity.

Cheers!
Lyta

S/S LOL Second hand and thrift stores are sometimes the best source! There is an introduction section, but this was better. :) So welcome to the Nut House!

I love the idea of a comparative study of Japan before and after the War. Sounds fascinating.

Zen and the Art of Thrift Store Shopping

S/S LOL Second hand and thrift stores are sometimes the best source! There is an introduction section, but this was better. So welcome to the Nut House!
Thanks for the great welcome, pontalba! As for the acquisition of new old reading material from thrift stores, I find a sort of Zen satisfaction in knowing one never knows what is in there before stepping inside. It seems to be essential to the experience. I first noticed this tendency upon the emergence of the VCR and my unwillingness to tape Star Trek episodes when they came on because I wanted to be surprised. The surprise faded when I learned the sequence and numbers of all the episodes and then, alas, they stopped showing on channels I can get. But I digress; it is the same with buying books at secondhand venues; I am always looking for something about Japan, but I found a book on Chaos Theory by accident awhile back, and it was great too! And to think I'd never have read Shogun if it hadn't been for a yard sale!

Cheers!
Lyta

P.S. Severus Snake is the name of a big black snake that hangs out on my porch during the warm months...he wanders where he will but really likes the sun on the cedarwood planks...

steffee said:
Me too Pontalba, especially Gilead. It's one of those books that everyone seems to have read yet nobody has anything to say about it.
Oh Steffee!
You can't just casually drop a challenge like that and expect to get away with it! I've read Gilead, and the more I think about it now, the more I'll have to say about it if/when it ever becomes a BOTM. Or maybe we can brew up a good lively thread even if it doesn't. :D
Peder

I haven't posted in this thread in a while. He are the most recent additions to my library:

Barnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens Everyman Edition.
Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens Everyman Edition.
A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens Everyman Edition.
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens Everyman Edition.

I'm trying to get the complete Everyman collection of Dickens books.

The following Dostoevsky books are Pevear and Volokhonsky translated trade paperbacks:

Crime and Punishment
The Idiot
The Adolescent
Demons

I now have all the major Dostoevsky novels translated by Pevear and Volokhonsky. Beautiful books!

The Last Light of the Sun by Guy Gavriel Kay in hardcover.
Oracle Night by Paul Auster in hardcover.
Shogun by James Clavell in strip covered mass market.
Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro in trade paperback.
A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin in mass market.

*A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson in hardcover.
The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene in trade paperback.

Severus_Snake said:
I first noticed this tendency upon the emergence of the VCR and my unwillingness to tape Star Trek episodes when they came on because I wanted to be surprised. The surprise faded when I learned the sequence and numbers of all the episodes and then, alas, they stopped showing on channels I can get.
Love the original Star Trek! We have two really nice 2nd hand book stores here, and I've been able to find quite a few bargains. I deplore the lack of true thrift stores here though, I was used to being able to go into one of the many in New Orleans (years ago) and find gems.

Peder wrote
...the more I'll have to say about it if/when it ever becomes a BOTM. Or maybe we can brew up a good lively thread even if it doesn't.
Yes indeedy.

Peder said:
Oh Steffee!
You can't just casually drop a challenge like that and expect to get away with it! I've read Gilead, and the more I think about it now, the more I'll have to say about it if/when it ever becomes a BOTM. Or maybe we can brew up a good lively thread even if it doesn't. :D
Peder
It's a deal then Peder. I'll nip on over to the nominations and third it, or whatever we're upto. :D

Went to Barnes and Noble today and purchased Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett and A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews. I'm not too sure which one I'm going to start first.

Forgot a couple.

Speaking Out by Jack Layton.
The Call of the Wild and Other Stories by Jack London.

Back