• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

DS, I really enjoyed it for the most part. At one point I wanted to throw the book across the room, but after I got over myself, I resumed my enjoyment of the book. LOL! I wasn't expecting to be so emotionally involved with the characters.

DS, I really enjoyed it for the most part. At one point I wanted to throw the book across the room, but after I got over myself, I resumed my enjoyment of the book. LOL! I wasn't expecting to be so emotionally involved with the characters.
Will PM you on this. :)

Here's what I got recently:
aimg108.imageshack.us_img108_6285_image010bn7.jpg

I also bought Flatland, by Edwin A. Abbott.

ds

The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella

I hate to be a student because I can't buy all the books that I want. :(

There was a sale going on in the atrium of a mall today, with the proceeds going to the Provincial Women's Conservatory Society or somesuch. For $3, I got

James Joyce - Portrait of the artist as a young man
&
Virginia Woolf - The Voyage Out

I went to a Farley Mowat signing today. I got my copy of Never Cry Wolf & Bay of Spirits signed as well as the copy of The Boat Who Wouldn't Float that I bought today. He was funny and intelligent. Definately a pleasant experience.

I went to a Farley Mowat signing today. I got my copy of Never Cry Wolf & Bay of Spirits signed as well as the copy of The Boat Who Wouldn't Float that I bought today. He was funny and intelligent. Definately a pleasant experience.

I wonder if he'd consider a field trip to Kansas...:cool:

Lucky Duck...

I just got two books recently they are: The Green Mile by Stephen King and A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin.

Also abecedarian that cat in your avatar pic looks so cute:D

Stephen King's Dark Tower I-IV (hardcover). I have read these books in softback copies and I wanted to own them in hardback editions.

comic books

My boyfriend, for some reason, brought up "Hellraiser" & how he would like to get all the movies and watch them.
Within the week, I went to my favorite bookstore & found a bunch of those comics that are inspired by Clive Barker's Hellraiser. So yay! I picked up:
Books 1-3, & 6...

For myself, I was thrilled that I found Neil Gaiman's Black Orchid!

(all were half price & in excellent condition!:D )

Here's what I got at the library today:

The Winter Queen-Boris Akunin
The Stone of Laughter- Hoda Brakat
Happiness Sold Separately-Lolly Winston
Crisis Preparedness Handbook-Jack Spigarelli

Ivan Turgenev - Fathers and Sons
W.E.B. Du Bois - The Souls of Black Folk
and a book about the legend of the Wandering Jew.

While on holiday I bought a book called Fear and Trembling by Amelie Nothomb. If it was up to me I would have rescued more of the cheap books but my boyfriend pried me away from them saying something about them making my luggage heavy... :rolleyes:

Due to the need to get out of the house, I finally bought a copy of "The Time Traveler's Wife". In other words, I was feeling anxious and felt the need to splurge, to a degree.

Harper Collins did a bit of a preview show in Toronto today. I was not as impressed with theirs as I was with Random House. They brought authors in, but just to speak at a podium and leave. Not sign books or talk with any of us. We did get some signed books but by people who weren't even there. The book of a fixit type guy, Mike Holmes, wasn't even available. Coming out November 24th I think. I'm guessing the schedules just didn't line up. Why drag us, and him, out if the book's not even there? Just to talk about it? I'd be more inclined to promote the book if I had a copy that I got when meeting the author and he signed it. Overall the show was well produced and they were generous regardless of having authors attend that weren't there to sign books.

I won a door prize, not the best one which was a video iPod but a Special Edition DVD set of the Fellowship of the Rings. The one with the statues included. At the end of the preview we were given gift bags and encouraged to take two. Or even three. I grabbed three and ended up with a fourth after a co-worker found she ended up with three identical gift bags. The books I got today:

The Turning, Tim Winton. Signed hardcover.
Airborn, Kenneth Oppel. Two copies. Although he was there and spoke to us they are not signed.
Charlotte's Web, E.B. White. Four trade paperbacks.
Fast Food Nation, Eric Schlosser. Two copies but I gave one to a co-worker that wants to read the book but didn't have one in their gift bag.
Marley and Me*, John Grogan. Four copies of a new hardcover gift edition. I've wanted to read this for a while but I know it will make me very very sad. A few of these will be gifts to dog lovers I know.
The Discomfort Zone, Jonathan Franzen. Two hardcovers both signed even though he was not there.
The End, Lemony Snicket. Hardcover. One day I planned on maybe reading these books. Now I have the thirteenth.
Fragile Things, Neil Gaiman. Hardcover.
What Came Before He Shot Her, Elizabeth George. Hardcover.
Freakonomics, Steven B. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner. Hardcover.

Back