• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

I just bought Eldest By Christopher Paolini. I found Eragon surprisingly well written, It was given to me as a gift; its not normally the type of fantasy I would buy, but despite it's similarities to LOTR and R.E. Fiest's books, it was actually rather enjoyable, so I bought the next one. (now I can go see the film and point out inconsistencies in a really loud voice :D )

thanks for that...heard about these books and love anything to do with dragons so definitely adding them to my list!!

must def read it before seeing the film

Am reading The Clan Of The Cave Bear at the moment and wondered if anybody else has read this or others by Jean M.Auel..would like to hear your opinions? Thanks

I enjoyed the series way back when. Her story (earth children) is vived and entertaining. One day I'll re-read her books.

am enjoying the book actually..slow to start but almost halfway through now and will probably end up buying the others!!!

must def read it before seeing the film

Goes without saying. In my experience "popular" fantasy, as it were, generally does not live up to expectations but the Inheritance books seem to so far. Eragon explores the dragon in great detail and portrays the bond between the main character (Eragon) an his dragon (Saphira) very well. Christopher Paolini's Inheritance isn't as good as a lot of fantasy I have read, but is better than some and is worth reading I think.

Am reading The Clan Of The Cave Bear at the moment and wondered if anybody else has read this or others by Jean M.Auel..would like to hear your opinions? Thanks
I've seen the movie, but never had the chance to read the book. I've been thinking about it though.

I recommend grabbing yourself a copy of the nadsat dictionary. They can be found online easily.

Come and get one in the yarbles! If ye have any yarbles!

I recommend grabbing yourself a copy of the nadsat dictionary. They can be found online easily.

Come and get one in the yarbles! If ye have any yarbles!
It's for my sister for Christmas - I have already read it, and the copy I had had a nadsat dictionary in the back. My sister can just struggle through it herself :p

Portrait of the Artist as A Young Man-James Joyce
Hamlet-The Bard
Foucault's Pendulum-Umberto Eco
Just Folks:Earthy Tales of the Praire Heartland-Jerrry W. Engler (we know this guy..were friends with his son and daughter in law. Anyway he was at Borders the other day doing a book signing and we had a nice visit)

I'm in disagreement with most but I found Never Let Me Go to be a predictable bore. Beautiful prose though. A Clockwork Orange though is gorgeous. One of those must reads.

Nice cover,AB. Off thread somewhat but how do you get a photo of a cover to post in a thread as you have done? Is it complicated? Very limited tech skills here.

Nice cover,AB. Off thread somewhat but how do you get a photo of a cover to post in a thread as you have done? Is it complicated? Very limited tech skills here.

Please don't start. It's annoying. Images should not be unsolicited.

I first do an image Google search. Once I find the image I desire I copy its address to your clipboard (Ctrl + C). Then in the reply box I select the yellow icon (mountain graphic) and enter the address of the image in the pop-up window. hit OK and that's it. You got the image posted.

Thank you very much AB. That's been a mystery for some time now. I promise to use the new powers judiciously of course. Like next time I buy a book? :p

So is it worth the read for these books? ;) *ready to mentally catalogue away for a TBR list addition*
Most people I've talked to really enjoyed Never Let Me Go (it was shortlisted for the Booker Prize, I believe), but like Ions, I wasn't overly taken by it. I'd still recommend you read it, though. As Ions said, A Clockwork Orange is a classic, and as such, a must-read. Having a Nadsat dictionary with you really helps in reading the book (Nadsat is a slang language that is used heavily by the main character).

Thank you very much AB. That's been a mystery for some time now. I promise to use the new powers judiciously of course. Like next time I buy a book? :p

No, it's rude to do here. Unless it's a picture thread it's poor manners to be posting pictures. If you really have to share which edition was bought include an ISBN or a link.

Back