• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Oh, I walked into my local Angus & Robertson bookstore, walked up to the counter and said: "I need new books. I have a hundred dollar budget as of this moment and I have absolutely no idea what to get."
Turns out the person didn't work there and was a workman installing new shelves so I
had to repeat that wonderful speech of mine.

I'd ended up buying a whole paperback compilation of the Chronicles of Narnia. All seven (or is it eight?) stories in one!

I haven't read it yet.

I also bought all the classic titles, or at least I think it's all classic.

Treasure Island
Pollyana (or something of the sort)
Secret Garden (I'm sure of that title)
Anne of Green Gables (now I'm sure THAT'S a classic, it is... right?)

I think some more, but the names escape me.

Ahh, before you laugh, they were on sale! SALE!!! Book sales are the only sales I fall to.

\(^___^)/

Yes, those last four are classics. Sounds like you did well. If I walked into the bookstore with $100 I wouldn't be sure what to get either. :p

Have just returned from a charity shoppig spree. Picked up 5 books in Barnardo's - Any Human Heart by William Boyd (have never read any of his, though this makes no. 4 in the tbr pile), The Waterfall by Margaret Drabble (again have never read and already have 2 more in the tbr pile), The Amateur Marriage by Anne Tyler (no. 3 in tbr), After Julius by Elizabeth Jane Howard and The Lyre of Orpheus by Robertson Davies - have just realised that this is part 3 of a trilogy. Anyway they cost me, along with 3 kids books and a video, the grand sum of 3 euro.

Then headed for Oxfam where I got Birds Without Wings by Louis de Bernieres and a pile of kids books, including a lovely edition of Oscar Wilde's childrens stories all for 15 euro.

Started reading, and first bought in 2003 and ONLY getting around to it now :eek:, a none Dr. Delaware novel from 2003.
Called The Conspiracy Club.
:
awww.jonathankellerman.com_images_books_conspiracy.gif

I've all his books including his newest one Compulsion. awww.jonathankellerman.com_images_feature_compulsion.jpg

Which I got a flithy look from my TBRPile I can tell you.! Knowin' me, I'll probably get around to it in a few years time.! ;) :eek: LOL.

I hit a few yard sales today looking for football cards. I only found a couple of good cards. However, I got the following for $4.50:
Jude the Obscure -Thomas Hardy
The Kite Runner -Khaled Hosseini
Anna Karenina -Leo Tolstoy
David Copperfield -Charles Dickens
Candide -Voltaire
Dubliners -James Joyce
Le Morte D'Arthur -Sir Thomas Malory
Moll Flanders -Daniel DeFoe
Gulliver's Travels -Jonathan Swift
The Life and Death of Mary Wollstonecraft -Claire Tomalin
The Bacchae and Other Plays -Euripides

Yard sales rock!

I just got a few weeks ago
Killer dreams - iris johansen
Prey - michael crichton
A case of need - michael crichton
Plum Lucky - janet evanovich

all from the salvation army 25 cents each

I just went to Borders a couple of days ago and bought

The Pickwick Papers: Charles Dickens
A Tale of Two Cities: Charles Dickens
Dorian Gray: Oscar Wilde

First bought some years back and like the Kellerman book, just getting around
to it now my TBRPile is very pleased :)
Started on this little beauty....DO NOT DISTURB (please).
:
aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_5178WN34MAL._SL160_.jpg :D

King Lear.

Talked about it briefly yesterday at work, so it was on my mind. On the walk to the subway, I had an urge to read certain passages right then. I stopped and picked up a paperback copy (though I have several fancy editions of Shakespeare at home), then I was reading it on the subway and almost crying. :eek: :rolleyes:

King Lear.

Talked about it briefly yesterday at work, so it was on my mind. On the walk to the subway, I had an urge to read certain passages right then. I stopped and picked up a paperback copy (though I have several fancy editions of Shakespeare at home), then I was reading it on the subway and almost crying. :eek: :rolleyes:

There are good reasons a work gets labeled a 'classic.' :)

Back