• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

Well, Davonport is one hell of a boy,! does he like the ladies or what.?! ai2.photobucket.com_albums_y14_steelclaw32_faint2.gif

Decided to read number 2 of....Prey series which is this nice titled...Shadow Prey
:
awww.johnsandford.org_pic_0425208842.jpg

One thing about "Rules Of Prey", I'd really recommend fellow BAR's to give him a go, I found the title to be in a way, multifaceted, in more ways than O N E.

The Mill on the Floss, George Eliot

Loot and Other Stories, Nadine Gordimer

The Old Man and the Sea, Ernest Hemingway

The Second Sex
, Simone de Beauvior

The Americans -- Alistair Cooke
Two of a Kind -- Dary O'Brien
Conspiracy of Silence -- Anthony Pearson
Inside Peking -- Beverly Hooper
Sleeping at the Starlite Motel -- Baily White
An Introduction to Tae Kwon Do -- Pady O'Brien
Book of Numbers -- Cheiro
Kabala (ancient secrets of numerology) -- Sepharial

Murder in the Mews, by Agatha Christie
844394.jpg

The Mayor of Casterbridge By Thomas Hardy

Mrs Dalloway: By Virginia Woolf

Silas Marner: The Weaver of Raveloe By George Eliot

A good day.:)

I skip the forum for a few yrs and this thread is still running?

The Mayor of Casterbridge By Thomas Hardy

A good day.:)

Ooh I did enjoy that one when a friend lent me it a few yrs back. A little moralistic at times but very well done.

Just acquired:
The History of the Runestaff - Michael Moorcock
Gravity's Angels - Michael Swanwick (short story collection)
Mote in God's Eye - Niven and Pournelle (one of those classics of SF that I've managed to slip by and go OOP)

Need to find a good non-fiction/ historical fiction (a la The Sunne in Splendour) about Northern Ireland and the troubles in the 60s and 70s

New acquisitions, bought "used" unless otherwise noted

A Monk Swimming by Malachi McCourt
The Nightingales Of Troy by Alice Fulton (new and great!, just finished reading)
A Widow For One Year by John Irving
Letters To A Young Poet by Rilke
American Slavery, American Freedon: The Ordeal of Colonial Virginia by Edmund S. Morgan (new)
Terrible Swift Sword by Bruce Catton

I buy a lot of books used because small town libraries ain't what they used to be. The exception is when a book cries out to me, "Own me, own me!", because I know I will read and re-read it, or read and pass it along (like Fulton's fabulous "Nightingales", which will be gifted and re-gifted for years, I am sure.) My personal library is now upwards of 2000 volumes, which I could never have afforded at retail prices.

aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_51xHGuxWskL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
Fire in the Blood
by Irene Nemirovsky

51GHYPP2R7L._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Chronicle of a Death Foretold
by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

51XK5TCP3XL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

The Mill on the Floss (Penguin Classics)
by George Eliot

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

Escaped convict, Jean Valjean's attempts to become a respected member of the community are constantly put under threat: by his own conscience, when, owing to a case of mistaken identity, another man is arrested in his place; and by the relentless investigations of the policeman Javert.

aimages.amazon.com_images_P_0140444300.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Last Battle, from The Chronicles of Narnia series, by C. S. Lewis. It was actually a present for my brother but I'm planning on reading the whole series eventually...

60270007_gra.jpg

Back