• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recently Purchased/Borrowed

I went to three used books shops yesterday,not enough time in a day people,that's all.

The Name of the Rose-Umberto Eco
Kafka-The Letter to his Father
Margaret Drabble-The Red Queen
Dai Sijie-Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
Kamala Markandaya-Nectar in the Sieve
Wilbur Smith-The Seventh Scroll

and for my little one:
Iron Hand-Charlie Fletcher
Inkspell-Cornelia Funke

The last things I bought were:

A Prayer For Owen Meany - John Irving. Not yet read this but looking forward to doing so.
Running With Scissors (can't remember the author) - only picked it up cos I liked the title and cover.
The Secret Scripture - Sebastian Barry. Read this for reading group - didn't like this!:star1:

The last things I borrowed from the library where I work:Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow - Peter Hoeg
The Almost Moon - Alice Sebold

For my kids:
The Snail and the Whale - Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler
Gorilla -Anthony Browne
Not Now Bernard - David McKee
Dogger - Shirley Hughes

The Road Back by Erich Maria Remarque,author of All Quiet On The Western Front. It's a yellow-paged 1931 edition and looks as if it belongs in a museum! I'm almost scared to pick it up incase it falls apart! And this ordered in by the library!

The Road Back by Erich Maria Remarque,author of All Quiet On The Western Front. It's a yellow-paged 1931 edition and looks as if it belongs in a museum! I'm almost scared to pick it up incase it falls apart! And this ordered in by the library!

I like old books. The only problem is when the pages are so dry they make me feel as though all the moisture in my skin is being drawn into those pages.

It seems I just can't help myself.
My latest acquisitions are:
Eats, Shites & Leaves - Crap English and How to Use It by A Parody.
Soul Music - Terry Pratchett
A couple of Janet Evanovich mystery thrillers - Motor Mouth and Stephanie Plum 8.
The Devil in the White City - don't remember the author and it's down the other end of the house.

EL Doctorow - Waterworks
Life as We Knew It-Susan Beth Pfeffer(thanks Lenny)
Pat Barker - The Ghost Road - (thanks Libra)could only get the third.
T.C. Boyle - The Women

51Z540BEGFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I found Stones for Ibarra by Harriet Doerr at Borders in a clearance box. It looks like a real gem.

From the back cover . . .

Richard and Sara Everton, just over and just under forty, have come to the small Meican village of Ibarra to reopen a copper mine abandoned by Richard's grandfather fifty years before. They have mortgaged, sold, and borrowed, left friends and country, to settle in this remote spot; their plan is to live out their lives here, connected to the place and to each other.
The two Americans, the only foreigners in Ibarra, live amoung people who both respect and misunderstand them. And gradually the villagers at first enigmas to the Evertons-come to teach them much about life and the relentless tide of fate.

I buy books on a regular basis, and the following are my most recent purchases:

A Fraction of the Whole by Steve Toltz
Disgrace by J. M. Coetzee
The Messenger by Markus Zusak
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Boat by Nam Le
The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks

I just pre-ordered the new Sookie Stackhouse book, as well as the new Aurora Teagarden book...both by the wonderful Charlaine Harris. I'm so excited about them! This lady puts out books like, well, like it's her job. *lol* I also got What's A Ghoul To Do?, a series based on a ghost hunter. Should be interesting.

Just received an almost mint hardback copy of Sherwood by Parke Goodwin from the U.S via Alibris. It's in good nick for a '91 novel! :)

The results of today's book sale:

Emperor: The Gates of Rome by Conn Iggulden
Messiah by Andrei Codrescu
Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer
The Players: A Novel of Young Shakespeare by Stephanie Cowell

From a used bookstore:

The March by E. L. Doctorow
Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha by Roddy Doyle
Postcards by E. Annie Proulx

Back