• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recipes

Here's a favorite of all the abc clan:

Kung Pao Chicken

Black bean & Hoisin together? I shall have to try that variation.

This is one of my favorite dishes - when I lived in China I had it every second day or so for over a year and never got tired of it.

The one ingredient I would never make a Kungpao without, though, is missing in your recipe: Szechuan pepper corns, either whole or roasted & ground. If I had to plump for the single best taste in food, that Szechuan pepper corn flavor would probably be it.

Having said that, my partner is a lot less fond of it than I am - it IS a rather special taste.

Spinach Rice

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 kg spinach
1/2 kg fresh onions dill
1/2 cup rice
lemon juice
salt
olive oil

METHOD
Clean and wash the spinach very carefully to remove soil. Chop the onions and saute them in olive oil using a deep saucepan. Cut the cleaned spinach, add the rice, the spinach, lemon juice, dill, salt and water. Cook for 25 minutes. Add more water during cooking if the one you have added has evaporated. Add extra lemon juice if you like. Serve warm or cold.

*add some crumbled feta on to after, yum.

Thank you very much for the recipes!

I haven't been checking the last few days because I'm spending extra time on Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain so I'll be ready to start Embers on the first.

On the cooking front, my wife walked in the door with a second hand electric wok yesterday. It looks brand new except for a small scratch on the inside bottom.

I have to go start dinner. I'm making curry chicken today.

Life is good!

Food mostly depend on the climat,with the rising heat here we are mostly into cold food-tomato mozzarella with olive oil and bazil-better to salt a bit the mozza before including in slice.One slice tomato one mozza.

This worked out very well, saliotthomas! I would have tried it sooner but I kept forgetting to pick up some basil, even though it was written on my shopping list. :lol: I went with a blush (100% merlot) served slightly chilled. I'm going to try it with a cucumber salad next with a white wine.

Here's a favorite of all the abc clan:

Kung Pao Chicken
50 min | 40 min prep

SERVES 6 -8 </SPAN>
  • 2 large whole boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • salt
  • 1/4 cup black bean sauce
  • 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
  • 2 tablespoons chili paste with garlic
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons dry sherry or
  • shao-hsing wine
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 8 cloves garlic, peeled and flattened but not chopped
  • 2 cups peanut oil or
  • vegetable oil or
  • corn oil
  • 3/4 cup raw shelled and hulled fresh unsalted peanuts
  • 16-21 dried hot red chili peppers, cut in half

This one is next. I've don't rember seeing black bean sauce or hoisen sauce or raw peanuts, so the first thing I'm going to is to find a shop that sells this stuff.

Beet salad

I don't have exact measures on this recipe, I just throw everything together.
It was given to me from a cousin who's from France.

I prefer to boil the beets than buy the pickled ones but it doesn't matter.

2 jars of cubed pickled beets

2 onions chopped
olive oil
salt, vinegar
about 5 tablespoons mustard.

Just mix everything together and refrigerate.

(strain jars before adding to rest of ingredients.)

I don't have exact measures on this recipe, I just throw everything together.
It was given to me from a cousin who's from France.

I prefer to boil the beets than buy the pickled ones but it doesn't matter.

2 jars of cubed pickled beets

2 onions chopped
olive oil
salt, vinegar
about 5 tablespoons mustard.

Just mix everything together and refrigerate.

(strain jars before adding to rest of ingredients.)

This is interesting. I'm sitting here trying to remember the last time I had beets. Ok, it's worse then that. I'm sitting here trying to remember if I ever had beets. Hmmmmmm.

Thinking...

Thinking...

Darn!!!

This is interesting. I'm sitting here trying to remember the last time I had beets. Ok, it's worse then that. I'm sitting here trying to remember if I ever had beets. Hmmmmmm.

Thinking...

Thinking...

Darn!!!

:lol::lol: It's a nice cold salad. I have more recipes coming.:)

The Garlic Sauce sounds good.

I don't know about this step.

Doesn't this step make mud?
:lol:

I use potatoes.

You have to alternate lemon, olive oil lemon olive oil and I also add some water to make a smooth sauce.If you love garlic like I do it's a great sauce.

Tzatziki that is used for Gyro or souvlaki is made with yogurt and garlic some lemon and cucumbers.

Even I also like cooking. and keep on experimenting with new variety. This is a great place for me to learn on different recipes..

This one is next. I've don't rember seeing black bean sauce or hoisen sauce or raw peanuts, so the first thing I'm going to is to find a shop that sells this stuff.

Did you find the sauces and peanuts? I have always bought them at Dillions.. which is now owned by Kroger..I noticed at Christmastime, that Walmart had the sauces except for black bean sauce. There are several Asian markets in Wichita now, and I keep thinking I should see if they have larger jars or better prices. Raw peanuts can be tricky to locate after Christmas, but check the produce areas and even the baking section. If all else fails you can cheat by using salted roasted peanuts..saves a lot of time anyway.

Did you find the sauces and peanuts? I have always bought them at Dillions.. which is now owned by Kroger..I noticed at Christmastime, that Walmart had the sauces except for black bean sauce. There are several Asian markets in Wichita now, and I keep thinking I should see if they have larger jars or better prices. Raw peanuts can be tricky to locate after Christmas, but check the produce areas and even the baking section. If all else fails you can cheat by using salted roasted peanuts..saves a lot of time anyway.

Not yet. I put the items on a list that's clipped to the fridge, but I keep forgetting to take it with me when I go shopping.

I did get a wok so I'm ready to experiment.

Not yet. I put the items on a list that's clipped to the fridge, but I keep forgetting to take it with me when I go shopping.

I did get a wok so I'm ready to experiment.

Just don't offer to wok your dog:lol:

Sorry...my dh pulls out that terrible pun every time I make this recipe..please don't beat me:innocent:

Just don't offer to wok your dog:lol:

Sorry...my dh pulls out that terrible pun every time I make this recipe..please don't beat me:innocent:

I'll let it go this time. But don't forget that p-u-n are the first three letters in punishment. ;)

I'll let it go this time. But don't forget that p-u-n are the first three letters in punishment. ;)

Thank you, O kind master:lol:

I won't even touch the bit about the first two letters..p-u and how poorly such puns smell:whistling:

I've got a great recipe for a quite cheesy lasagna if someone is interested. It is completely selfmade including the pasta.

Back