• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Recommendation for new Fantasy Series please!

Pippsqueak

Hi all,

I have just finished reading 'Tigana - Guy Gavriel Kay' and I have no idea what to read next.

My favorite books/series of all time are:
Raymond Feist - Riftwar Cycle series
George R R Martin - Song of Ice & Fire series
Robin Hobb - Farseer/Liveship/Rain Wild/Tawny Man series
Karen Miller - Mage series

I also love Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, but I would like to stick to something more fantasy, like the series above.
I've just finished Tigana, which I thought was average. Liked the first 5 Robert Jordan books, got to book 11, gave up.

If anyone has any recommendations for a new series / author then I'd be really grateful!
Also, if anyone has read any Trudi Canavan books and could tell me what they think, that'd be superb :)

Have you tried...

Martin Scott's Thraxas books, McKiernan's Iron Tower series, or mine, of course (Perception of Evil)? I personally find the older ones better in most cases, hence the suggestions I made. "Classics" like Edgar Allen Poe, Frankenstein, and Dracula are always good for re-reads anytime.

The Dresden Files. Very badass series. It's so badass,even the unicorns are blood-thirsty animals. It's about a wizard who investigates paranormal activity dealing with ghosts,vampires,other wizards,werewolves, etc. in modern day Chicago.

I tried to read one of Trudi Canavan's books but couldn't finish it. I just remember feeling her style was too flat.

Ghost of Achilles - True Ogre, by Chris Sorrell. It's not long been out and it's a an absolutely cracking fantasy read.

Hi all,

Robin Hobb - Farseer/Liveship/Rain Wild/Tawny Man series

Two new books are out in that series; Dragon Haven and Dragon Keeper.

Jane Lindskold's Fire Keeper series starting with Through Wolf's Eyes. This series is at least finished but it does start getting mediocre towards the end.

Robert Redick The Red Wolf Conspiracy and the 2nd book The Ruling Sea. Third book is coming out in Feb.

Neither of those series are up to Martin or Hobb's but I did enjoy them.

The last fantasy book trilogy that I really enjoyed was Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged and Last Argument of Kings. Very gritty, rich world and awesome characters that you really find yourself rooting for. I am currently awaiting patiently his next novel to come out early next year I believe.

I did read Steve Erikson's first book in the Malazan series - Gardens of the Moon - and I really loved it, vast and rich world, background so detailed and in depth you know he has laid some awesome ground work for future books. On the strength of how much I liked the first book I bought the next three books, and then I really didn't like the second book at all however. But that first book was great and does make me wonder if I shouldn't dip a toe back into the universe he has created there...

The last fantasy book trilogy that I really enjoyed was Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged and Last Argument of Kings.

Just finished reading this trilogy back to back. It was great. I found the second book a bit sluggish, but I always have that problem with stories about journeys. I'm impatient. I'm the one in the back of the car asking if we're there yet. What stood out for me was how crap everything was. The wars go badly, friends are unreliable, jobs are stressful and unrewarding. It was refreshing to read about a fantasy world as awful as this one without it going so far in the other direction so as to crush all hope and leave me wondering why they don't all just kill themselves and have done with it.

Some of it grated on me. Say one thing for Logen Ninefingers, say he says 'Say one thing' far too often for it not to get on my tits. Same goes for Sand Dan 'Why Do I Do This' Glokta. But mostly it was ace. All the characters were equally awful and awful things happened to them. Plus no dragwyns. Win.

Just finished reading this trilogy back to back. It was great. I found the second book a bit sluggish, but I always have that problem with stories about journeys. I'm impatient. I'm the one in the back of the car asking if we're there yet. What stood out for me was how crap everything was. The wars go badly, friends are unreliable, jobs are stressful and unrewarding. It was refreshing to read about a fantasy world as awful as this one without it going so far in the other direction so as to crush all hope and leave me wondering why they don't all just kill themselves and have done with it.

Some of it grated on me. Say one thing for Logen Ninefingers, say he says 'Say one thing' far too often for it not to get on my tits. Same goes for Sand Dan 'Why Do I Do This' Glokta. But mostly it was ace. All the characters were equally awful and awful things happened to them. Plus no dragwyns. Win.

I like the grey areas of the characters, but especially like Glokta - so verring toward evil yet flawed and his struggles are quite addictive to follow, and really highlight the more political goings on.

On a fun note it was both shocking and amusing
when Bayaz explodes people

Have you read Best Served Cold yet? A new book comes out in Jan '11 - Heroes I believe is the draft title.

I will be reading it, but I've got a Kindle on my birthday wishlist, so I'm trying to hold off on buying books before I know if my hints to Birthday Santa have paid off. There's a teaser chapter in the back of Last Argument, but I haven't read it as I don't want to risk getting interested. The reviews on Amazon seem a little lacklustre too, so I want to leave it for a bit so I'm not comparing it so unfavourably with the other books.

I tried to read one of Trudi Canavan's books but couldn't finish it. I just remember feeling her style was too flat.

I wonder which ones you started . . . I can see how some of her books may come through that way.

I suggest you don't give up on her books, though. If you didn't like what you tried before, try: " Age of the five" trilogy by her. Those are pretty good.

I believe you might enjoy them.

Another vote for Joe Abercrombie here. I was recommended The First Law trilogy in between waiting for the next GRRM book to come out. The GRRM book still isn't out and I've now read the trilogy and Best Served Cold and I'm awaiting the next book.

Best Served Cold is excellent. My dad thinks it's even better than The First Law trilogy; I'm not so sure.

If all else fails, try David Eddings' Belgariad. They're none to original, but if you like dry humour, they're full of it. He makes some very funny characterisations, and hilariious dialogue.

Back