• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

September 2010: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

Libra

Discussion starts September 1st.:)

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - Project Gutenberg

A Scandal in Bohemia
The Red-Headed League
A Case of Identity
The Boscombe Valley Mystery
The Five Orange Pips
The Man with the Twisted Lip
The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle
The Adventure of the Speckled Band
The Adventure of the Engineer’s Thumb
The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor
The Adventure of the Beryl Coronet
The Adventure of the Copper Beeches

I read this quite a few years ago and plan to re-read it when I get it from the library. One of the genre's I looked at whilst doing my BA was detective fiction and I've found one of my research essays. So, hopefully nobody will mind and I won't bore them too much, but this is an excerpt from it regarding Doyle and Sherlock Holmes.

"A series of events occurring in Victorian England contributed to detective fiction, evolving the genre and transforming it. Events such as: the "formation of the Bow Street Runners...the passing of Sir Robert Peel's Metroplitan Police Act of 1829 which established the Metropolitan Police and led to the setting up in 1842 of a special criminal Investigation Department dedicated to detective work" (Cox, 1992). Furthermore the idea of the literary detective was introduced by Charles Dickens in his novel Bleak House (1853), he uses a police detective.

The market for detective fiction grew and the reading public increasingly demanded sophisticated "crime and mystery with minuteness and particularly of a detective officer" (Cox, 1992). At this juncture the public is presented with one of the most legendary and renowned detectives of its time: Sherlock Holmes. The reading public embraced Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's character. Again, playing upon the familiar, Holmes was a figure who was "solid, contemporary...dominated by London and its suburbs" (Cox, 1992). Furthermore, Holmes empathised with his readers when he became "increasingly...articulate, indeed to defend the values of the broad middle stratum of English Society" (Cox, 1992). The public could associate with him, ordinary individuals could call upon him. It was not uncommon for mail addressed to Baker Street; pleas for Sherlock Holmes' help, his character being so embedded in Victorian society.

The Sherlock Holmes' stories were structured in a sequential fashion. Holmes and Watson would wait until consulted, or perhaps a newspaper story would catch the eye, observations would be made, analysed, until finally, with only Holmes knowing the truth, Watson and readers alike were enlightened, the mystery was solved. This formula using a central character, was repeated time and time again. In the end, Doyle tired of this structure and finally killed his character off. Regardless, Holmes and what followed were the professional amateur sleuth and consulting detective.

Before Sherlock Holmes, the detective novel would often result in a natural or providential turn of events. That is, it was not mere deductive power that brought a criminal to justice, but rather, an act of God. Holmes' rationality and analytical intelligence paralleled what was scientific and technical within that era. "Doyle consciously decentres the lurid details of acts of criminality in the interest of fictionalising the processes through which crime is detected" (Longhurst, 1989). With the advent of a new police force and new technological advances, such as fingerprinting, the emergence of a new discipline, criminology, it comes as no surprise that "most academic studies which puzzle over detective fiction argue that it is, at root, a literature of social and psychological adjustment" (Longhurst, 1989)."

Cox, Michael, 1992, Victorian Tales of Mystery and Detection, an Oxford anthology, Oxford University Press, Oxford.

Longhurst, Derek (ed.), 1989, Gender, genre and narrative pleasure, Reading popular fiction, Unwin Hyman, Great Britain.

Thank you for sharing this scribeswindow.I haven't started them yet but as soon as I do I will get back to you.:)

I have read the first 8 stories or should I refer to them as cases? I have to admit I have been doubling up my reading material during the past week or so. This is not because I dislike the book. The paperback copy of this I borrowed from the library has a typeface or font size that is a little smaller then my liking. So, I read a story or case then switch over and read a chapter of a novel (hardback of course), then come back to the next case of Sherlock Holmes. I wish I could’ve found this book in hardcover or largeprint format.
My favorite Adventure so far was The Speckled Band followed by The Red-headed League.

By coincidence, I just finished reading this book before it was chosen to be book of the month. I really enjoyed The Five Orange Pips and The Speckled Band. As a former investigator, now retired, I always enjoyed Holmes stories. Most of my successful cases were solved by shoe leather and informants, but I enjoy the deductive reasoning techniques that Sherlock uses. His character was modeled after a physician named Joseph Bell, who is sometimes called father of forensic science. Just a side note but I have copy of this book published in China. Also, I finished reading book called The True Crime Files of Conan Doyle, which were about two real investigations he conducted while writing for newspaper.

Coincidentally I'm reading Justice Hall by Laurie R King at the moment and this is the sixth book in a series that follows the fictional wife of Sherlock Holmes. The first book in the series is The beekeeper's apprentice, and it deals with Holmes meeting Mary Russell when he is supposedly retired and much older than he was during the conan Doyle mysteries. It probably seems really fantastical but the way King writes she allows it to be quite believable.

Well I finished this up today. I would have to give it three stars :star3:

Some of the stories or cases didn't hold my attention so these were a little tougher to get through. The Speckled Band, The Red Headed League, and The Beryle Coronet were my favorites.
I am someone that hasn't read to much classic literature. My reading material usually is something written in the last half century. So it was different to read something written in the late 1800s.

I've read up to the Blue Carbuncle, though I read these stories a long long long time ago. For the most part I had forgotten the details but others I remember fairly well. Like The Man with the Twisted Lip, I remembered that one as soon as I started reading it. I think the stories are very entertaining and very easy to read. I have to say that I am reading them after having watched the new BBC adaptation so my perspective is probably a bit different. I've enjoyed picking out the elements they have kept in the new version and how they've adapted some others (for instance, instead of a "three pipe problem" it's a "three (nicotine) patch problem").

Did you find any other good ones?
I read select stories a few years ago for a British Lit course. A Scandal in Bohemia was the only one that stuck out. I remember enjoying the character of Irene Adler and how she managed to outwit Holmes.

Did you find any other good ones?
I read select stories a few years ago for a British Lit course. A Scandal in Bohemia was the only one that stuck out. I remember enjoying the character of Irene Adler and how she managed to outwit Holmes.

Yes,the first one.The woman.
Overall I found him ..a smug character,always pointing out how Watson wasn't as perceptive? as he.He irritated me.

I have read the first five stories and I like Doyle's style and stories.

Sherlock seems to be a fully developed character complete with flaws and contradictions. He is somewhat smug about his powers of deduction but is honest with others and himself when he cannot crack a case. He uses drugs but apparently not to the point to which it completely consumes him or lets it interfere with his reasoning. He dislikes dishonest persons but will use disguises and withholds information for his own purposes or reasons.

In a "Scandal in Bohemia" Sherlock "used to make merry over the cleverness of women" but he changes his attitude after being bested by
Irene Adler. It is also telling in his cold reply to the king that "the lady seems indeed to be on a very different level to your Majesty" and his turning away without shaking the king's outstretched hand either because he dismissed him from his mind immediately or because he didn't want to be in his presence any longer.

I'd like to know what others think of the characters and situations or on Doyle's story telling.
-----

Libra, I see that you also think that's he smug, was there anything about his personality that you liked? What is your opinion on Dr. Watson?

I'd like to know what others think of the characters and situations or on Doyle's story telling.
-----

Sherlock Holmes is quite the character. He seems to have the great ability to notice all the details, no matter how small they may seem or in a lot of cases these details go un-noticed by Watson or others and these details are often the case crackers.

Since all these stories (in this book) were written as if Dr. Watson was writing them, I got used to that style. You know, how Holmes has already solved the case and Watson and others have to be lectured as to how Holmes came to that conclusion and verified that his conclusion was the correct one (most of the time).

I would like to read a Holmes book that Doyle wrote as if Sherlock Holmes himself were writing. I understand there is couple that were written like that.

I am reading up on this relationship but I have found a quote from wiki that explains a bit.

“ Holmes was a man of habits... and I had become one of them... a comrade... upon whose nerve he could place some reliance... a whetstone for his mind. I stimulated him... If I irritated him by a certain methodical slowness in my mentality, that irritation served only to make his own flame-like intuitions and impressions flash up the more vividly and swiftly. Such was my humble role in our alliance. — The Adventure of the Creeping Man ”

Back