• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

September Reads

Anamnesis

The books I read this month are:

The Celtic Crusades Trilogy by Stephen R. Lawhead. The titles of the actual books are...

The Iron Lance

The Black Rood

The Mystic Rose

Also read two Poppy Z. Brite books: Soul Kitchen and Guilty But Insane. Lastly I read Matchstick Men by Eric Garcia, Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen, and Postcards From the Edge by Carrie Fisher.

• A Spy In The House Of Love, Anais Nin
  • From A Crooked Rib, Nuruddin Farah
  • Spoiler, Amanda Prantera
  • Summer Crossing, Truman Capote
  • The Death Of Ivan Ilyich, Leo Tolstoy
  • The Lonely Londoners, Sam Selvon
  • Memories Of My Melancholy Whores, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • The Driver's Seat, Muriel Spark

Also started and abandoned Black Swan Green by David Mitchell

Stewart - you always make me feel like such a slacker...

My reads this month:

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke (started in August)
Tears of the Giraffe - Alexander McCall Smith
Paula - Isabelle Allende
Bad Lands: An American Romance - Jonathan Raban (what a snore-fest)

September:
The Communist Manifesto by Marx and Engels 5/5
The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood 3/5
The Odyssey by Homer - Robert Fagles translation. 4/5
The Colony of Unrequited Dreams by Wayne Johnston 4.7/5

Stewart - you always make me feel like such a slacker...

My reads this month:

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell - Susanna Clarke (started in August)

Jonathan Strange... is probably bigger than all the novels I read put together.

The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland by Jim DeFede (10/10)
My Little Blue Dress by Bruno Maddox (3/10)
Prospect Street by Emilie Richards (8/10)
Roads Not Taken by Gardner Dozois & Stanley Schmidt (6/10)

The Fourth Bear, Jasper Fforde: Jack Spratt investigates the mysterious disappearance of Goldilocks after fleeing the three bears' house. Loved it.
Interlude in Death, J.D. Robb: Short story takes Roarke and Eve off-planet for a police conference.
The Darkest Place, Daniel Judson: A moody and atmospheric mystery by a new author. Quite good.
The Little Friend, Donna Tartt: I got about 2/3 through before I gave up. I didn't even care how it ended.
Sunset and Sawdust, Joe Landsale: Set in the south during the depression. When the local constable beats his wife and tries to rape her, she grabs his pistol and kills him. The small sawmill town then makes her constable. Very entertaining.
Set This House in Order, Matt Ruff: My favorite for September, if not the year. A man struggling with multiple personality disorder is called upon to help a female co-worker who is unaware she suffers from the same disorder.
Lone Wolf, Linwood Barclay: Third book in a series. Enjoyable mystery but too many cliches for my liking.

The Nautical Chart - Arturo Perez Reverte
The Book of Lost Things - John Connelly
Wide Awake - David Levithan
The Conjurer's Bird - Martin Davies

it was a slow month for me. I also started and abandoned Jane Eyre and Dracula.

Reading Frenzy Indeed

Saramago, José: The Stone Raft
Swift, Jonathan: Gulliver's Travels
Hong Kingston, Maxine: The Woman Warrior
Dostoevsky, Feodor: Devils
Cortázar, Julio: Bestiary
Pessoa, Fernando: Message
Böll: Heinrich: The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum
García Marquéz, Gabriel: Chronicle of a Death Foretold
García Marquéz, Gabriel: No One Writes to the Colonel

I think that's about it :D

It was a slow, slow month for me.

The Emancipation of Women - D.C. Brooks
Alias Grace - Margaret Atwood

I did also finish Ecstacy by Irvine Welsh from August and I started Brave New World by Aldous Huxley... so it wasn't just those two really. :eek:

The Communist Manifesto is a nice summary to Marx's philosophy as well as a useful recruiting tool, but, of all the Marx works I've read, it's definitely the least philosophically intricate. If you're really looking to delve into Marx's viewpoint, I'd go with the German Ideology or the Economic and Philosophic Manuscripts, and then head over to Capital from there.

Oh, and I read:

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole... absolutely wonderful.

The Farseekers by Isobelle Carmody
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan
One for the Money by Janet Evanovich

Yet another slow month for me :(

The Constant Princess~Philippa Gregory A
The Two Towers~J.R.R. Tolkien (reread) A+
The Little Prince~ Antione de Saint Exupery B
The Crucible~ Arthur Miller A+
Daughter of the Forest~ Juliet Marillier A

Some good books this month. The Little Prince is not all that is cracked up to be, though, in my opinion. Daughter of the Forest was great. I immediatley went out and bought books 2 & 3 from Half Price Books....I need to just have my paycheck transfered there. It'd save me time ;) :p

1. Stories From Blue Latitudes-ed. Elizabeth Nunez 3/5

2. The Sea-Crossed Fisherman-Yashar Kamal 2/5

3. The Decapitated Chicken and Other Stories-Horacio Quinoza 4/5

4. Bound Feet and Western Dress-Pang MEi Natasha Chang 4/5

5. This Day: Diaries from American Women- ed. Joni B. Cole 3/5

6. From a Crooked Rib- Nuruddin Farah 4/5

7. Lines on the Water- David Adams Richard 4/5

8. Views From the Bridge of Europe ed. Council of Europe Republics 3/5

9. The Club Dumas- Arturo Perez Reverte 4/5

10. In the Hollow of His Hand-Doris and Laryy Puckett 3/5

11. Annie John- Jamaica Kincaid 3/5

12. Dark Demon- Christine Feehan 3/5

13. Bleeding Heart- Susan Wittig Albert 3/5

The Key to Rebecca by Ken Follett - mediocre, forgetful
American Gods by Neil Gaiman - great concept, well executed
Shock Wave by Clive Cussler - same old Clive
A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon - not half as good as The Curious Incident
Xenocide by Orson Scott Card - big dropoff from Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead
The Man from St. Petersburg by ken Follett - meh
Native Tongue by Carl Hiaasen - funniest writer going

Best of the month: American Gods, easy. I'll definitely be reading more Gaiman.

September:
The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood 3/5
The Odyssey by Homer - Robert Fagles translation. 4/5
The Colony of Unrequited Dreams by Wayne Johnston 4.7/5

You have some interesting taste ions, that's for certain. The Communist Manifesto truly is an amazing piece. When one thinks of it, Marx's influence was enormous. You have one discipline giants such as Freud or Stephen Hawking, but Marx was truly something else. I'd like for someone to give me another example of a person who had such a wide influence on economics, sociology, history, as well as philosophy. For it's time, it was a good explanation as to why social classes exist. Unfortunately for Marx, his remedy couldn't have been more off-base. Industrial nations where communism was supposed to catch root first tended to be the least likely to become communist.(i.e.-19th century America, England, and France) It was backwards agrarian societies that tended to drift into communism.

Backwards agrarian? You don't really mean backwards do you? ;) I understand what you mean and fortunately agrarian societies were re-evaluated in consideration with communism. While a faux-pas I don't think he was off-base because of the way rural communities were evolving opposed to urban communities. His ideas were more desperately needed by the urban proletariat than the rural. Political Science was my major. I hate to talk politics now. Angers up the blood. Seems to me I'm the only one that gets it and everyone else is wrong so I usually avoid political discussions. ;) Occasionally I'll read, or re-read in the case of the Manifesto, a work I consider to be important. I agree with you completely about Marx. Tremendous mind and tremendous ideas.

Compared to the other works I read in September it will never be as important but the book I enjoyed most was easily The Colony of Unrequited Dreams by Wayne Johnston. Gorgeous book.

Somebodies & Nobodies: Overcoming the Abuse of Rank; Robert W. Fuller

I chose this one due to clicking around on amazon. I saw the title and became intrigued. The author argues that while race and gender have been dealt with as sources of power, there is one that transcends all-rank. "I'm a doctor" or "I'm the perfect student" among many, many others helps to perpetuate a sick cycle of abuse. Fuller doesn't argue that we should leave communally as equals, but rather, argues that rank is good in that in performing their jobs correctly, we are doing something beneficial. Where rank does become harmful is when someone uses their rank to intimidate or humiliate a person "below" them. The iron-fisted teacher, the condescending manager, the brow-beating business owner, all have a role in the anxiety and other negative emotions that flow from people every day.

Fuller came about doing this book as he was university president and as such, was use to certain perks and privileges. Once he retired, he found that he "lost" his status and that it was unsettling. That is another insight that is written on quite a bit-a person can find themselves on both sides of the rank line many times. An interesting read, though somewhat monotonous.

Cell; Stephen King

My first Stephen King book in ages. This one took off with a bang right from the start and held my attention through the mid-way point. The ending suffered a bit, but in zombie movies, how does one keep it "fresh" and moving along? Not even King has mastered this aspect of zombie writing.

The Defense;VN

The better Nabokov book that I read this month. A man crushed by his own genius. The ending was very shocking to me and the patterns of the man's life and how it revolved around chess would be a joy for anyone to read. The writing style of Nabokov is at his best on this one.

The Eye; VN
A disappointment, it was hard to "track" in my mind's eye. To be honest, I floated right through it. Perhaps I will read it again this next month.

Back