• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Someone tell me this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Ell, I don't think that anyone wants the mods to come in and start using a heavy hand. I do enjoy reading the book threads and many members do give excellent advise and criticism. I don't mind a bit of debate on the books even it's the members that go into a thread about a book they know they dislike and belittle the people who read it and like Ell said I do ignore those members and their post when I can but I'm just not a brave or well spoken enough woman to go in and start posting there.

spaming is not the problem in general chat, in fact spaming has been structural for this forum, in any case there might is an organization problem, that could be resolved by cutting, merging and deleting some posts and threads as was suggested a couple pages ago.
even there could be a spamdump so mods could just cut any off topic posts and move them over there, so members could continue their off topic conversation over that spamdump thread and keep the originals threads clean.

I do see more of that kind of cleanup at other forums but I've noticed that there's not as many mods here as other forums with this many members/posts so that would be a lot of work for them.

again...i honestly do not feel fingers are pointed at me and that i need to tuck my tail between my legs and walk away....and martin, even though i didn't get much of a chance to get to know you before you left, the prior posts and threads started by you, i enjoyed...you have such a wicked sense of humour and a great intelligence and it would be a shame for the forum to lose you over a couple of foolish members.

i will continue reading the books and novels part of the forum, and when i feel (like ronny) brave enough to post, i will certainly do so. i too, am not that well read, and would rather happily read what people have said and agree or disagree to myself. no need to slap the wrists of those who are quick to jump if not everyone loves the books they do or agrees with the opinions they have posted.

now, can i go post in the 'i'm drunk' thread i started or are you all hanging on my every word and i should stay here? (sorry, couldn't be helped)

thats true, but i really dont mean all the spam
i mean there are threads that are very open from the title, so there is nothing wrong about spaming in lest say the "what are you up today" thread, but for threads that have an especific theme on the title, lets say something like "whats your favorite kind of architecture" in which posts which are not related with architecture, architecs, buildings etc... should be delete or moved.
we could even trust that if someone has something off topic to say might voluntary move to the spamthread, or simply report the off topic posts so they can be moved when a mod has time

Ell said:
It's not that I disagree with you, just that it's hard to make it work on a book forum where ideas and opinions should be celebrated.

ell

I agree. Never said I would trample on what people say. If the spirit of boards I moderate is comprised I draw a very hard line. I think the spirit of open and free discussion has been comprimised by certain person(s). JMO, please don't read this as me suggesting how moderation should do their job. :eek:

It's easy to see who is being talked about here-just look at who rips up popular authors.

SFG75 said:
It's easy to see who is being talked about here-just look at who rips up popular authors.

we are not talking about anyone in specific, there is more than one person around with a bad actitude, and for sure all of us sometime have acted insensitive or as a******s
but if you feel like pointing a finger be my guest

I've only been swimming in this pool for a week or so, but what's the big problem here? Nearly every book-related section has a new post every hour or so! Complaining about a supposed 'golden' period in the life of the book forum is akin to the prescriptivist complaining about the influx of new colloquial expressions in the English language. Things change, deal with it.

As for the comic strips of members being crucified; it was me being crucified and I got no goat with it. All's cool by me...IT. WAS. JUST. A. JOKE. Anyone who takes it seriously is same kind of person who thinks the sole purpose of South Park is to teach young kids to eat cheesy poofs and find out whether their mother is a hermaphrodite.

As for the 'General Chat' forum, who cares whether we talk about something as profound as your favorite chocolate biscuit or whether you scream about cherries when the sun is falling on your head? Talking about nothing is just as qualitative as talking about something.

Peas, out y'all. Go fro' a frissbo!

POST NOTE: Everything bobbyb says is Gospel.

Ell said:
There is more than one member who does it -- unfortunately.

Really? Do these other members do it with the intensity and derision that one in particular does?

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
As for the 'General Chat' forum, who cares whether we talk about something as profound as your favorite chocolate biscuit or whether you scream about cherries when the sun is falling on your head? Talking about nothing is just as qualitative as talking about something.
you are right, shouldnt care for what is talked about, but care for it being talked in an organized fashion, and for it not to become a platform for trolling and/or flaming
as said before the problem is not the spam

mr_michel said:
you are right, shouldnt care for what is talked about, but care for it being talked in an organized fashion, and for it not to become a platform for trolling and/or flaming
as said before the problem is not the spam

Organisation is over-rated. It's appropriate to keep threads about a specific author or book on-topic, but other discussions should be allowed to flow and ebb organically said the chicken as it fell-over the elepants foot, who likes to eat sashimi?

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
Organisation is over-rated. It's appropriate to keep threads about a specific author or book on-topic, but other discussions should be allowed to flow and ebb orgainically said the chicken as it fell-over the elepants foot, who likes to eat sashimi?

dont disscart something without at least giving a try before, at least you could read some sugestions about it.
a little organization wont necesary kill the flow and ebb of the conversation, for example we could simple decide to jump to lets say the "what's everyone up to today? " and talk about sashimi and leave this thread for people who actually care for what is talked here

I understand the need for relevancy in this thread, but the majority of the threads in the General Chat forum should run free and naked, unbound by the paralytic chains of conventional wisdom and rigid reason...

yes i agree on some, but not all, im for letting the first post and the thread title to determine if the thread is themed or open, i have nothing agaisnt senseless spaming in an open theme thread, and even some "mild" spam on the themed ones, but i think is disrespecful to the author trying to comunicate something or getting an honest opinion/comment/info on an specific issue, to take things way off topic, or even worse using that thread to troll or flame other members

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back