• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Someone tell me this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
mr_michel said:
i think is disrespecful to the author trying to comunicate something or getting an honest opinion/comment/info on an specific issue, to take things way off topic, or even worse using that thread to troll or flame other members

I think anything posted in a public forum is open to individual interpretation. The 'author' of a particular thread does not gain property of it simply by being the person who started it.

sirmyk said:
This feels a bit like group therapy... which is good for the forum in general.

Funny I was just telling Ricky it felt like we have a monthly therapy session around here, I feel we've all made great progress this time around.

People communicate differently. People express themselves in different ways. That isn't the problem. The problem is when someone says somebody else's way of doing it is wrong. It is a lack of understanding. This is a public place and there are differences, if that isn't want somebody is looking for than they should be the one to leave. That isn't the case.

Martin,
Do you remember this post of yours?
"There's nothing wrong with being one big clique. It's the cliques within the one big clique that are messing it all up."
That isn't a very welcoming view for a public place, is it? Have you considered your views of the world have changed and this place no longer fits it?

To all:
Why not accept people for who they are instead of trying to change everything to fit your expectations of the world? If there is a problem, try to talk it out instead of crying foul. That's a sure way to create hostility.

Martin said:
I have 8.000 posts to my name - I invented spamming.

And no, I can't pinpoint it. I guess somewhere around the point when I 'left'.
Was that around the time your avatar was that little green walkin' dude? I miss that guy.

Having only five months under my belt, I see a lack of respect on this forum in general, but not necessarily with new members... with everyone in general.

There's a lot of :mad: :rolleyes: :( going on here.

ruach said:
To all:
Why not accept people for who they are instead of trying to change everything to fit your expectations of the world? If there is a problem, try to talk it out instead of crying foul. That's a sure way to create hostility.

On that note, I'd like to quickly burst into song:

"There’s a place in
Your heart
And I know that it is love
And this place could
Be much
Brighter than tomorrow
And if you really try
You’ll find there’s no need
To cry
In this place you’ll feel
There’s no hurt or sorrow

There are ways
To get there
If you care enough
For the living
Make a little space
Make a better place...

Heal the world
Make it a better place
For you and for me
And the entire human race
There are people dying
If you care enough
For the living
Make a better place
For you and for me

Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Sh-moan-mutha-fuckers! Ay-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Wa! Wa! Waaaaaaaaaaiii!!!!!!!"

Aaaaaaaaand I'm done.

sirmyk said:
But then other threads get started showing avatar cutouts of members crucified on a cross, and it stays up for days an days.
Actually I would just like to point out that the thread was closed the same day as that particular image was posted :)

Ronny said:
I do see more of that kind of cleanup at other forums but I've noticed that there's not as many mods here as other forums with this many members/posts so that would be a lot of work for them.
This is something that is being looked into :) There will be even less over the next few days as I am away on holiday. So please don't think I am ignoring you if I don't answer PM's :cool:

Martin said:
I have 8.000 posts to my name - I invented spamming.

And no, I can't pinpoint it. I guess somewhere around the point when I 'left'.
I'm guessing that you re-evaluated the roleplaying dialogues as an observer rather than a participator.

Ronny said:
I do see more of that kind of cleanup at other forums but I've noticed that there's not as many mods here as other forums with this many members/posts so that would be a lot of work for them.

I don't see that as being a problem.

Yes, the repetitive threads get depressing. Some proper organisation wouldn't go amiss. A recent example being the pointless 3 movies on a desert island thread which is a rehash of the 3 three favourite movies thread, no matter which way you look at it.

I propose that Authors should have their own threads and if someone starts another it is merged so that each author has only one thread.

Likewise for books, one thread per book. How many The Catcher In The Rye threads or The Da Vinci Code threads are needed? If someone starts a new one then merge it with the original one.

Next up, a move towards informative thread titles. Not only does that increase the site's appearance in search engine results (bringing more people in) it also increases the chance of a successful search with the forum's software, and people will find it easier to find if something has been discussed before.

Mods, if a thread title is cryptic, has bad spelling, or could be improved then don't be afraid to do it. Don't just moderate the forum, guide it to being a well-oiled machine rather than a lazy dump of banal expression.

To Ice, specifically, I don't think it's right that, as a mod, you prefer to use the Invisible Mode of the forum. People, myself included, would like to know when a moderator is online. When I look at the online list on a typical morning there's never a mod when you need one. ;)

Stewart said:
I don't see that as being a problem.
You may not see it as such, however it is a problem on a forum that generates as many posts per day as this one does :) Unfortunately we all have real lives and can't be available 24/7 and with a small number of moderators it can make it difficult to do an effective job.

Stewart said:
To Ice, specifically, I don't think it's right that, as a mod, you prefer to use the Invisible Mode of the forum. People, myself included, would like to know when a moderator is online. When I look at the online list on a typical morning there's never a mod when you need one. ;)
Why should my particular preference matter? If people PM me regarding a matter I answer it and if I see something I change it - it does not stop me doing an effective job by using a facility the forum has on offer. I use this function on every forum I am a member of - I used it here before I was a moderator and until it prevents me from doing my job I don't see why, if the function is there, I shouldn't be allowed to use it. It is purely personal preference.

Ice said:
You may not see it as such, however it is a problem on a forum that generates as many posts per day as this one does :) Unfortunately we all have real lives and can't be available 24/7 and with a small number of moderators it can make it difficult to do an effective job.
Maybe if there was a "set of rules" set up by Darren and the mods, the members could help out themselves by reporting posts and explaining the rules if somebody breaks them. I think most members haven't even read the TOS here, so maybe making a sticky with forum policy wouldn't be such a bad idea. As it is, no one knows what acceptible and what isn't.

Everyone agrees to adhere to our Membership Agreement when they sign up. The MA includes a section on Forum Posting and there is a link to the agreement at the bottom of almost every page :)

The Membership Agreement does not teach responsible forum use and it says nothing about searching before posting, sensible thread titles, etc.

Good thread, Martin :)

Most of the the responders are the "newer" members and as so they can't really appreciate what you are talking about because they were not here.

It has changed and not for the better.

It used to be a fun place where you could talk about books and then go into general chat posting some silly link of have a laugh but its not like that any longer and there is defiantly a huge amount of hostility on the forum. It used to be relaxed here and fun, but it isn't any longer.

People don't post about books is they are jumped on by the grammar nazis and elitists. If you open a thread in general chat you are told your thread is pointless or stupid. If people involve themselves in fun banter they are accused of spamming. Let's not even get started on the amount of hostility and down right shit stirring and bullying that goes on.

Wabbit said:
People don't post about books is they are jumped on by the grammar nazis and elitists.

Names, please. I've not seen any grammar Nazis and elitists. :confused:

Let's not even get started on the amount of hostility and down right shit stirring and bullying that goes on.

No, let's. Air your grievances rather than let the pot boil over. Do it civilly before it turns (potentially) into an all out slanging match.

Stewart said:
No, let's. Air your grievances rather than let the pot boil over. Do it civilly before it turns (potentially) into an all out slanging match.
Naming names would do just that. I started this thread to get a civilised conversation going, not to start slinging mud and singling people out. We're a community, and have to deal with this as such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back