• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Someone tell me this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, but heckling people because English perhaps isn't their first language and they therefore make the occasional spelling mistake is going beyond expressing opinions.

I don't see anyone giving anyone any shit when English isn't their first language. I do see people being abusive towards members that they deem to be grammar nazis and elitists and are unable to maintain a consistent argument.

Not everybody is as fluent and as well spoken and as articulate as the rest.

But lets not single out one aspect of the entire deal. Grammar nazi's and their nemeses are not the entire point of this thread. Nor is namecalling.

Martin said:
Not everybody is as fluent and as well spoken and as articulate as the rest.

But lets not single out one aspect of the entire deal. Grammar nazi's and their nemeses are not the entire point of this thread. Nor is namecalling.

Right you are. Did you miss my earlier post directed towards you?

Martin,
Do you remember this post of yours?
"There's nothing wrong with being one big clique. It's the cliques within the one big clique that are messing it all up."
That isn't a very welcoming view for a public place, is it? Have you considered your views of the world have changed and this place no longer fits it?
With 'one big clique', I meant the entire community, ever expanding and shrinking - I don't see anything wrong with that.

And no, I haven't re-evaluated my world. This place has changed.

That'd be the post. What about your non acceptance of those other "cliques?" What do you suggest doing to get the forum back on track?

Are you going to pay me now or later? The answer is acceptance. You're fighting it and that's the problem.

I have not been here for that long but my impression of TBF is theres the nice members then theres the not so nice! The ones willing to shout you down with anything that you post,sometimes i think its because your new and havnt found your feet yet!

Martin said:
I'm the problem? Do explain.

By comparing TBF today with it whenever your post said, you are holding onto an idea that is in the past. You expect this idea to have the same merit today as it did then. Things change, only your ideas of them don't. Let go of what you thought and see things today, for what they are today. Does that make sense?

ruby said:
I have not been here for that long but my impression of TBF is theres the nice members then theres the not so nice! The ones willing to shout you down with anything that you post,sometimes i think its because your new and havnt found your feet yet!

Hi Ruby,
There are some really lovely members on here, and in the last few months (I think) one or two bullies who jump in every thread attack you, and spoil thread turning it into a war zone. :(
But I don't feel its just because your new...
I don't post much, as one I'm working etc, and another I feel so wound up after reading some posts now...
I used to really love this Forum, hope it gets back to how it used to be.
Stick with it Girl, I'm sure it will be sorted.
Now I'm off to enjoy my day off in the Sun, with my new book
:)

ruach said:
By comparing TBF today with it whenever your post said, you are holding onto an idea that is in the past. You expect this idea to have the same merit today as it did then. Things change, only your ideas of them don't. Let go of what you thought and see things today, for what they are today. Does that make sense?
It does. But I do have a right to look back to those days, don't I? I'm not doing any harm to reminisce, and wonder about what changed, do I?

Of course you have a right to look back and you aren't doing any harm. But it is unreasonable to expect an animate thing, such as this forum, to stay the same.

looking back to those days is fine, but not at the expense of the present moment.
Martin said:
It does. But I do have a right to look back to those days, don't I? I'm not doing any harm to reminisce, and wonder about what changed, do I?

Yeah, and? I do that because I like the past better than the present moment. If you don't, then you don't have a problem, and I'm happy for you.

Stewart said:
The Membership Agreement does not teach responsible forum use and it says nothing about searching before posting, sensible thread titles, etc.
That's true. The way the Book Forum is currently organised is a bit messy. The titles of most threads make no sense, stuff seems to be posted in the wrong subfora all the time and new threads are opened almost daily on things that already have a thread of their own.

I really do think Stewart's suggestions are worth considering. Hell, I'd implement them right away!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back