• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Someone tell me this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ruach: Thanks for your thoughts. Whilst I don’t agree with everything you’ve said, you have made some interesting points and expressed yourself in an intelligent and articulate way; something which has been sadly missing in the General Chat area of late. I was beginning to despair before I got to your post, as at the moment we appear to have some senior members acting out a kind of bizarre Harold Pinter play for Tourettes sufferers. We can only wish them well, and a swift return to sanity; if indeed that is their normal state.

Anyway, back to your post.
ruach said:
A personal attack is different for different people; I for one, wouldn't be offended if someone called me a wanker, told I was an idiot for reading such and such, or wanting to kill my family...no one's life is in danger by saying these things either here or in person. It isn't clear on whose standards it is being judged.
That’s fair enough as far as it goes, and for the record I agree; someone on a message board calling me names isn’t going to be something I loose sleep over. However if someone does that to me, I’m not the only one who reads it. What about new or potential members browsing for the first time? Will reading insults and/or threats encourage them to participate? It might not put people off if they were joining a misanthropes help group, or, God forbid, a Wrestling board; but we’re a Book forum.

ruach said:
Instead of calling in 'the man' to fix our problems, let us fix them ourselves.
In principle I agree with this, mods can’t be expected to be around all the time, and who wants to have to PM them anyway. A far better first line of defence is for other members to step in and point out comments that are out of line. Although if this is true:
ruach said:
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Then the people most likely to be confident enough to step in will be the most stupid.
And if this is true:
ruach said:
A personal attack is different for different people
Then the issue of inconsistency will be even worse.

ruach said:
I'm not sure anyone can truthfully judge anyone elses intent. We can project ourselves into the the situation, but that isn't the same
The most common explanation I have seen for misinterpreting someone’s intent in a post, is that it was supposed to be a joke. Now, I would have hoped people were intelligent enough to understand that, even with the help of :) , ‘joke’ insults on a message board are open to interpretation.
In any case, just how many interpretations are there of ‘You’re an idiot if you like that book’ or calling someone an arsehole?

Regards,

K-S

Kenny Shovel said:
In principle I agree with this, mods can’t be expected to be around all the time, and who wants to have to PM them anyway. A far better first line of defence is for other members to step in and point out comments that are out of line.
I agree. But then sometimes the moderators and/or members won't agree with the comment another member made and where does that leave us?

I really dislike PM'ing a moderator, because god knows how many times someone has pointed something out already. That's why I like the report-a-post option (even if it "is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts.")

lies said:
I agree. But then sometimes the moderators and/or members won't agree with the comment another member made and where does that leave us?
Well yes, hence my point that 'A personal attack is different for different people' could mean that 'the issue of inconsistency will be even worse'.

I'm a member of over 10 other forums, and I only post regularly at a few of them. The Book Forum is one that I check every few days, and then usually only at the Science Fiction section. I started a thread there asking for books about a particular theme. I got some excellent suggestions and started reading them. I am completely satisfied with this forum considering what I wish to get from this forum. I do check general chat every now and then (like today), just to see if there is something I'd be interested in, but I don't have enough time to really dig in and make friends here. You guys are all great acquaintances, though. :)

Martin said:
Oh, and to answer your question:

It's the overall atmosphere of this place that has drastically changed over the last few months. It's like something, or someone, a few months ago, flicked a switch or pulled a lever, and turned this place upside down, turning it from an incredible place into something very, very shallow.

It's just that the recent trend of superficiality overrunning this place amazes me.

I'm sorry.

:eek:

"Is it safe yet to come out and play?"

(peers out from bomb shelter and tip-toes back into The Book Forum to see if it's safe... above is a fan, dripping brown goo; sh*t is everywhere... on the walls, the floor, the desk lamps; the entire place smells of urine from the world's largest pissing contest; a PISO MIJADO sign is on the floor (a few members have fallen in the mess; others are still going "number one" and "number two")

"Guess not..."

(tip-toes back out of The Book Forum quietly, enters the bomb shelter, and closes the latch)

sirmyk said:
"Is it safe yet to come out and play?"

(peers out from bomb shelter and tip-toes back into The Book Forum to see if it's safe... above is a fan, dripping brown goo; sh*t is everywhere... on the walls, the floor, the desk lamps; the entire place smells of urine from the world's largest pissing contest; a PISO MIJADO sign is on the floor (a few members have fallen in the mess; others are still going "number one" and "number two")

"Guess not..."

(tip-toes back out of The Book Forum quietly, enters the bomb shelter, and closes the latch)

What's the point in all that?

I find the inconsistency of the moderating here absolutely ridiculous. If some members get warnings for innocuous quips, then other members should too.

Where is impartiality of warning someone for stating 'I can see how you might feel left out', but not for 'Your mum is calling you for dinner. Go home quickly or you'll get grounded and stop playing with matches before you burn your fingers'!?!?!?!?! Either both are harmless or both are the most dispicable comments ever to be uttered. This idea that one is allowed as it is in response to the other is the most George Bush-esque logic I have ever heard!

Robert said:
Hasn't this been dragged through the mud long enough? What's it going to take to put it to bed?
I totally agree with you Robert! Theres a few threads that need putting to BED!

Somebody lock this thread, it's not dying out like it should. I've even tried putting my threadkilling hex on it, and normally my threadkilling powers are formidable. :rolleyes:

If this goes on much longer, we'll need more popcorn.

Miss Shelf said:
Somebody lock this thread, it's not dying out like it should. I've even tried putting my threadkilling hex on it, and normally my threadkilling powers are formidable. :rolleyes:

If this goes on much longer, we'll need more popcorn.
Sick of the popcorn,and lets hope this dies soon! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back