• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Songs Stuck In Your Head

abecedarian said:
Hey, at least it's edifying!! If you have to have an earworm, Power in the Blood is a goodie:D When I get hymns stuck in my head, it's usually Be Thou My Vision or The Ninety and Nine..
That is really strange. I just finished listening to "The Ninety And Nine" as sung by the legend Doc Watson on his CD "On Praying Ground" for which he received a Grammy. Mr Watson is one of the best, if not the best, guitar players in the U.S.

muggle said:
That is really strange. I just finished listening to "The Ninety And Nine" as sung by the legend Doc Watson on his CD "On Praying Ground" for which he received a Grammy. Mr Watson is one of the best, if not the best, guitar players in the U.S.

I love this old Ira Sankey/D.L. Moody hymn. My favorite version is by Andrew Peterson, and done with celtic instrumentation. I got to see him perform it in person a few years ago. He's a great talent.

ABC, please read:
I was fortunate enough to see Doc Watson perform twice. Once at his birthday party. Both performances were in an intimate setting with probably between 50 and 100 people. At his birthday party at least half were his relatives. I missed out on getting tickets for his special upcoming performance here in Charlottesville.

40th Anniversary Gala w/ Doc Watson - SOLD OUT
8 pm, Friday, February 24, 2006
Announcing The Prism’s 40th Anniversary Gala
1966-2006

Sold Out We no longer have tickets available for this performance!

Doc Watson
with Jack Lawrence and Richard Watson

Live at the Prism • One Performance Only
2 Complete Sets beginning at 8pm

Gone are the days when Doc Watson played in intimate rooms to 100 or so ardent admirers while the rest of the world pursued trends now long (and some justly) forgotten... today, one is lucky enough just to get a decent view in a cavernous hall or at an enormous festival to hear this National Medal of the Arts recipient and true living legend of American music perform what was essentially an intimate art form in the first place.

As the Prism observes its 40th anniversary on February 26th, 2006, its celebratory weekend will get under way on Friday, the 24th with this landmark performance. A six-time Grammy winner who virtually invented the art of flatpicking fiddle tune melodies on the guitar, Doc has been in semi-retirement for many years and only accepts a limited number of engagements.

muggle said:
ABC, please read:
I was fortunate enough to see Doc Watson perform twice. Once at his birthday party. Both performances were in an intimate setting with probably between 50 and 100 people. At his birthday party at least half were his relatives. I missed out on getting tickets for his special upcoming performance here in Charlottesville.

40th Anniversary Gala w/ Doc Watson - SOLD OUT
8 pm, Friday, February 24, 2006
Announcing The Prism’s 40th Anniversary Gala
1966-2006

Sold Out We no longer have tickets available for this performance!

Doc Watson
with Jack Lawrence and Richard Watson

Live at the Prism • One Performance Only
2 Complete Sets beginning at 8pm

Gone are the days when Doc Watson played in intimate rooms to 100 or so ardent admirers while the rest of the world pursued trends now long (and some justly) forgotten... today, one is lucky enough just to get a decent view in a cavernous hall or at an enormous festival to hear this National Medal of the Arts recipient and true living legend of American music perform what was essentially an intimate art form in the first place.

As the Prism observes its 40th anniversary on February 26th, 2006, its celebratory weekend will get under way on Friday, the 24th with this landmark performance. A six-time Grammy winner who virtually invented the art of flatpicking fiddle tune melodies on the guitar, Doc has been in semi-retirement for many years and only accepts a limited number of engagements.

Wouldn't it be nice to have the power to turn into a mouse so you could sneak in..just for once?? I'm jealous you got to see him twice!

As noted the Prism is now sold out. To get tickets you first had to give a $214 "or greater" donation to the Prism and then the tickets cost $100 / $124 ea. And to think that Doc Watson will be 83 yrs old in a couple months.

muggle said:
As noted the Prism is now sold out. To get tickets you first had to give a $214 "or greater" donation to the Prism and then the tickets cost $100 / $124 ea. And to think that Doc Watson will be 83 yrs old in a couple months.

83 and heading into "semi-retirement"? Now there's a hero:cool: I'm afraid I couldn't handle the cost of those tickets though..even for a good cause! Some of us have to eat and buy the occasional book or two;)

Those prices are also way too high for what I would pay for tickets. I almost forgot, I did see Doc Watson a 3rd time. It was at the festival, Merlefest, he has every year in honor of his son that was killed in a tractor accident on their farm up in the mountains of Wilkes County, NC. The festival draws some of the great performers in music as they all respect Doc so much. He has accomplished much and especially since he is blind.

muggle said:
Those prices are also way too high for what I would pay for tickets. I almost forgot, I did see Doc Watson a 3rd time. It was at the festival, Merlefest, he has every year in honor of his son that was killed in a tractor accident on their farm up in the mountains of Wilkes County, NC. The festival draws some of the great performers in music as they all respect Doc so much. He has accomplished much and especially since he is blind.

And he must be a pretty great guy for these professionals to honor him so year after year. When you look at artists you admire, and they are pointing to the ones THEY admire, it's time to pay attention. That's always struck me about musicians, and their heroes aren't always the ones who had those most acclaim. Doc Watson has influenced so many, I'm glad to see him getting a little back.

One of my friends that play guitar just wrote a song to my lyrics and I have the song totally stuck in my head.

Lani

Come and get it.

Today is Monday, today is Monday
Monday red beans
All you lucky children come and get it
Come and eat it up

Today is Tuesday, today is Tuesday
Tuesday poboys, Monday red beans
Come and eat it up

Today is Wednesday, today is Wednesday
Wednesday gumbo, Tuesday poboys, Monday red beans
Come and eat it up

Today is Thursday, today is Thursday
Thursday jambalya, Wednesday gumbo, Tuesday poboys, Monday red beans
Come and eat it up

Today is Friday, today is Friday
Friday catfish, Thursday jambalya, Wednesday gumbo, Tuesday poboys, Monday red beans
Come and eat it up

Today is Saturday, today is Saturday
Saturday crawfish, Friday catfish, Thursday jambalya, Wednesday gumbo, Tuesday poboys, Monday red beans
Come and eat it up

Today is Sunday, today is Sunday
Sunday beignet, Saturday crawfish, Friday catfish, Thursday jambalya, Wednesday gumbo, Tuesday poboys, Monday red beans
Come and eat it up
Come and eat it up
Come and eat it .........up.

Are you lonesome tonight
do you miss me tonight
Are you sorry we drifted apart
Does your memory stray to a bright sunny day
When I kissed you and called you sweetheart
Do the chairs in your parlor seem empty and bare
Do you gaze at your doorstep and picture me there
Is your heart filled with pain, shall I come back again
Tell me dear, are you lonesome tonight

pink shadow said:
Memories
Light the corners of my mind
Misty watercolor memories
Of the way we were
Can it be that it was all so simple then
Or has time rewritten every line
If we had the chance to do it all again
Tell me, would we?
Could we?

Memories may be beautiful and yet
What's too painful to remember
We simply choose to forget
So it's the laughter we will remember
Whenever we remember...
The way we were...
The way we were...

While visiting my cousin and sister a few weeks ago, we listened to a selection from my cousin's playlist. God help me, one of those songs was the one that goes:

I've got a neverending love for you
from now on that's all I want to do
from the first time we met I knew
I'd sing my neverending song of love for you...

Hoping nobody else remembers this short but insidious tune, because it could happen to you, too. It just won't go away... :D

Ferry, cross the Mersey
'cause this land's the place I love
and here I'll stay

GRRRR! And I don't even live in Liverpool, and have never even been in a ferry across the Mersey.

Oh, and I don't know any other words.

Gonna read through the rest of this thread to see if I can try and swap it for something else :D

Roy Orbison
Only The Lonely

Only the lonely
know the way I feel tonight
only the lonely
know this feeling ain't right
There goes my heart
They've gone forever
So far apart
But only the lonely know why
I cry only the lonely
Only the lonely
know the heartaches I've been through
only the lonely
know I cry and cry for you
Maybe tomorrow
a new romance
No more sorrow
but that's the chance
You've got to take if you're lonely
Heartbreak
only the lonely

What'd I Say as sung by Roy Orbison......Ray Charles version is also very good.

Hey mama, don't you treat me wrong
Come and love your daddy all night long
All right now, hey hey, all right
See the girl with the diamond ring
She knows how to shake that thing
All right now now now, hey hey, hey hey
Tell your mama, tell your pa
I'm gonna send you back to Arkansas

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

I Drove All Night - Roy Orbison
I had to escape , the city was sticky and cruel
Maybe I should have called you first
But I was dying to get to you

I was dreaming while I drove
The long straight road ahead
Uh-huh, yeah

Could taste your sweet kisses, your arms open wide
This fever for you was just burning me up inside

I drove all night to get to you
Is that all right?
I drove all night, crept in your room
Woke you from your sleep to make love to you
Is that all right?
I drove all night

What in this world keeps us from falling apart?
No matter where I go
I hear the beating of our one heart
I think about you when the night is cold and dark
Uh-huh, yeah

No one can move me the way that you do
Nothing erases this feeling between me and you
Is that all right?

Woke you from your sleep to make love to you
Is that all right?
I drove all night

Could taste your sweet kisses, your arms open wide
This fever for you was just burning me up inside

Is that all right?
Is that all right?
I drove all night

I'm planning who to visit at London Book Fair, and every time I come across Bertram Books, I hear Frank Zappa drawling:

My name is Bertram,
I am a redneck.
All my friends
They call me Bert (Hi, Bert!)
All my family
From down in Texas
Make their living picking dirt.

I just hope I don't blurt it out when I go to see them! :eek:

*mrkgnao*

Back