• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Spammers

Stewart

Another day, another half-wit found out as a spammer within a few minutes of their post.

When will these self-published assholes finally learn that if you want to sell your book - no matter how the odds are stacked against you: generally money, distribution, support, talent, etc.) you need to do some market research before you start spamming? No point troubling us with your new romance novel, for example, on a crime forum.

Today it was our new user James Grace...er, I mean David Frame...who saw fit to post to three forums three different rants about how good this book (named Belfast Old Boys) was and how somebody should read it and start a thread on it despite not realising he'd already started three.

It was a www.lulu.com effort and, in between waxing lyrical about it, he was telling us we could also get it on Amazon in a couple of weeks - who else, honestly, would know and give a shit?

Actually I think he wanted people to "strat" a thread about it after they read it....didn't he?

A genius in our midst

Stuart,

You truly are a genius. Did you ever work in a comic book store in the Simpsons, or do you have your intellectutal pedestal held elsewhere.

Can you imagine somebody trying to promote their book...and absoloute disgrace. I feel comfortable that people of your calibre are policing the web for this vermin.

James Grace said:

Stewart

You truly are a genius.

I know.

Did you ever work in a comic book store in the Simpsons, or do you have your intellectutal pedestal held elsewhere.

Elsewhere.

Can you imagine somebody trying to promote their book...and absoloute disgrace.

I can imagine someone doing it honestly and then doing it by "disguising" oneself as a reader of your work. By honestly I mean as some here have done: say hi in the introductions, stick a link to your book in your signature, stick around and chat in the areas similar to your novel.

Plus, blatant advertising is against the forum's rules - something that has been agreed upon by yourself prior to being granted posting privileges.

I feel comfortable that people of your calibre are policing the web for this vermin.

I'm not policing anything. I just have a healthy respect for the sites I call home. I don't like to see them dirty.

My Hero

Ahhh, the literary elite, but only to join you.

I obviously don't eat at your ethical or intellectual table but I will be ever grateful for the few crumbs you have thrown me.

You know I'm feeling like a better person already.

Oh, and if you consider this website your home, I have my concerns. I certainly wouldnt say that your respect for your 'web house' is "healthy".

I hope you enjoy your home and apologise for any incovenience I may have brought to your door.

James Grace said:
I obviously don't eat at your ethical or intellectual table but I will be ever grateful for the few crumbs you have thrown me.

Please, pull up a chair. I've obviously not got my data right...

Oh, and if you consider this website your home, I have my concerns. I certainly wouldnt say that your respect for your 'web house' is "healthy".

Maybe I'm electric. Seriously, though, it's one of my virtual homes. Why would you not say my respect for this site is healthy? I don't like to see it abused.

For anyone who missed it (like me), here is James Grace - I mean David Frame's - book. Amazingly, although it has "not yet ranked" status on lulu.com's sales ranks, ie hasn't sold any copies, it still has two reviews! Both from yesterday! Still, only one of them betrays James Grace's unique speling abilaties, so progress is surely being made! Well done!

The prose of the book itself isn't much better, with a bizarre italicisation and 'speechmarking' policy on street names, howlers like someone "peddling" a bicycle (and no he didn't mean they were selling it in Nutt's Corner Market) and "courteousy" (meaning courtesy, not courteously), men working "into their seventy's" and, er, cool metaphors like "the last thirty-five or so were merely the highly organised tip of a very large and historical iceberg."

You can read the first three chapters here. To their credit, they are at least bang up-to-date, taking into account the IRA announcement on 28 July, ie five days ago! That must be a record for publication turnaround. I suspect though that the reference to the announcement was spliced in afterwards, and the rest of the book proceeds as though it had never happened. Am I right, James?

Shade said:
howlers like someone "peddling" a bicycle (and no he didn't mean they were selling it in Nutt's Corner Market) and "courteousy" (meaning courtesy, not courteously), men working "into their seventy's" and, er, cool metaphors like "the last thirty-five or so were merely the highly organised tip of a very large and historical iceberg."

Another very important howler, upon looking, is in the heart of catholic west Belfast - surely if you are going to write a book about Belfast you would know the difference between what it is to be catholic and Catholic.

A man in his late 60’s slowly pumped his legs as he peddled past the recently modernised swimming baths that sat directly across the road. The rusty bike looked to be at least thirty years old

With reference to this bit I couldn't tell if the rusty bike actuallly referred to a cycle or was rhyming slang for a butch lesbian.

So tell us James Grace, why have you come to “The Book forum”?

Are you the author? If not, then what’s your connection? Brother, son, nephew, …..?
You did not just randomly stumble across this book, have your life altered by reading it,
and then, decide to inform the world of your discovery out of the sheer goodness of your heart.
Did you?????

Why did you start three new threads with the exact same content?

What is it exactly you hope to accomplish by joining this forum?

How about coming clean, and being honest with us?

Review It

You lot could always ventutre $14 and buy it. You could even give it a full review.

I dare you - try an unbiased review!!!!

James Grace said:
You lot could always ventutre $14 and buy it.

Why? We have already established that it is full of spelling mistakes and other grammatical curiosities.

Back