• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Spammers

does anybody else thinks stewart is in an exceedingly good mood today?

He does seem nice today, maybe he is becoming a new warmer, sweeter Stewart, we can all start calling him Stewie and he'll get some pretty pink bows for his avatar :D

lies said:
If you make it 42 pages long you can skip The Hitchhiker's Guide altogether and get some Homeros or Chaucer in there as well.

No, it wouldn't do: look at peoples' profiles: almost everybody likes The Guide (look at me - I am one). Can't remember Homer or Chaucer there...
But they have to fit there in The BOOK as well, as customers must know they are buying a real thing: all the literature wisdom included.

SFG75 said:
LOL-I'll buy!, but only if Keisha's book is included. :D

Gotta take Stewart's advice and check up on Reader's Indigest. :D

Sure!
And all by Tom Clancy as well.
(I've tried to discuss him here without much success)

James seems to have started one hell of a discussion

And I thought he was exaggerating...

Apologies to anybody offended by the promotion of my book...admittedly blatent as it was. I may have even done it myself but been a little more subtle than three threads at once.

Anyway, thank you to those who spotted the errors in my first three chapters. I had somehow managed to upload Draft 2 into the preview pane (Draft 5 is actually the released version - smart or what).

Reading through the wealth of responses and attacks, I am feeling a little badly done to ref: my eleven months of work - and I admit that Lulu is a little lightweight - but I must start somewhere, needs must, beginners luck and so on and so on...

As writing is a hobby as oppose to a day job, I have not yet taken balls in hand and approached a publisher with Belfast Old Boys (BOB) and I guess Lulu was just a guarded, low risk toe in the water. Path of least resistance I guess.

As an aside, aprt from the charatcter assassination and the unrequested attack on my work, this looks like an interesting site.

You can get me at david@framefamily.co.uk (I kow, you have to buy a domain like this when you have wife and kids - sad, but equally true)

p.s. Please try and forgive an over zealous friend who does a little 'book promotion moonlighting' during a lunch break.

I think Stewart is the all seeing, all knowing member of the board. kinda nice and scary at the same time :eek:

David Frame said:
As writing is a hobby as oppose to a day job, I have not yet taken balls in hand and approached a publisher with Belfast Old Boys (BOB) and I guess Lulu was just a guarded, low risk toe in the water. Path of least resistance I guess.

I think that no matter how much you get paid it will always be a hobby.

Why not write some short stories and try some magazines to guage reaction to your writing before sending off full length manuscripts?

I don't know, turn your back for a few hours and two forum members start re-enacting the naked wrestling scene from 'Women in Love'. Come on, own up, which one of you is Oliver Reed?

The updated file was created yesterday about 20 minutes after Shade and I pointed out some glaring mistakes (took about ½ hour to fix them) but those are the only errors that seem to have been corrected.

There are others. Although the initial confusion between pedal and peddle has been fixed the word peddled continues to appear.

One of the biggest mistakes when people mention decades is present - the use of an apostrophe - in 60's; it's 60s although, since books deal with words, it should be sixties.

There are instances when the apostrophe is not used when it should - usually in the possessive case.

In Chapter Two we get the confusing the majority of money had been invested in shipments from Libya courtesy of a gentlemen . Gentlemen or a gentleman?

I also don't understand why place names are italicised.

There's a few instances where words are hyphenated when the trend from hyphens in English seems to be dying i.e. re-ignite to reignite and a few words that, for some reason, are split unnecessarily i.e. beer mat should be beermat.

I'm not wanting to crap completely on Mr Frame's efforts as producing a full length piece of work is an achievement. I am, however, concerned that the preview was created by Frame in Microsoft Word which means that many errors are immediately visible (and fixable) whether it be by green or red lines appearing under text or using the spelling and grammar checker of the application. These should really be fixed before uploading any finished work. :(

Keep in mind that Mr. Frame wrote all 233 pages in "11 months", and that in that time frame he managed "5 Drafts".

It is obvious that David is in some kind of hurry to follow the "path of least resistance" and stick his "low risk toe in the water" as quickly as possible.
(I think most authors spend years writing, re-writing, editing, letting the work sit, sending out for proof-reading, re-writing, checking for spelling, fixing....)

I would like to know where the "charatcter assassination" is? Given the circumstances of the introduction this forum had to this book, I think the outcome has been quite favorable, and the wounds are all quite superficial. If anything I believe Mr. Frame is indebted to a few of the members of this forum for catching error's, and their willingness to point them out. Don't proofreaders usually get paid for their work?

And while word of mouth is an incredible marketing tool for anybody with something to sell, I should hope that David Frame has a long talk with James Grace about how he would like his book represented.

Perhaps when Mr. Frame has all the bugs worked out of his book he'll offer "FREE" copies to those who have helped fix, and improve his work. He may also wish to set up a contest with this forum so some lucky member can get a free copy, and in return he'll get advertising for a month on the site home page.

Stewart said:
Did you ever find out who won your book, Moto?

Yep...she was not a TBF member, but she has since joined. Screen name "Nana". She posted a few times right after joining, but has since dissappeared. I have not heard if she even received the book.

Shade said:
And more importantly, did you get any sales out of it!

It's hard to tell. I have not directly been contacted through email or PM by anyone from TBF. It is possible that some TBF member, or visitor, bought one through the publishers web page, which my web page directs people to for online purchase.

I was not expecting huge sales. This forum is not very children's book oriented, and I knew this and discussed it with Darren. I think only about 21 people entered the contest. I have no idea if that's an average number, or real low, or what? Darren has disappeared and the answers are not all that important.

I gave it a shot, and contributed monitarily to keeping this forum alive. I've had a ton of fun here, and I don't regret a thing if in fact I "got nothing" out of it. And maybe when Nana returns I can get her to offer a TBF member review?

Back