• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King: Lisey's Story

Why is it so boring? It's putting me to sleep.

Either the book suck or the woman doing the audio voice-over. :(

Or both.

Why do you keep punishing yourself eyez0nme? You know you hate King, yet you read his next novel only to bitch about his choice of descriptions? Could you express in greater detail by what you mean by personal bias?

Just curious.:cool:

I said hate King, but I do not hate his writing.

Just recently--his recent books--are not as good as they used to be. I suggest he start snorting coke, and drinking again. His best books were written back then.

Why is it so boring? It's putting me to sleep.

Either the book suck or the woman doing the audio voice-over. :(

Or both.

I think it's her voice-they should have had someone like James Earl Jones or Ozzy Osborne read it.:D You can read up on the reader, Mare Winningham here.

Thanks CK-You rock!.
th_rock.gif

I'm still in line (queue? ;)) for it. I'll be waiting for a while. I put my hold on right when one of the libraries ordered it and precatalogued, and I think I'm about 20th in line. :(

(I did get his new short on audio today, that should keep me happy until I get my hands on the novel)

I received an e-mail confirmation that it had been shipped. Should be hereby the end of the week. :)

Here's a brief review from a British national paper:

Stephen King's Lisey's Story is not a horror tale, a thriller or a fantasy, although it touches incoherently on all of them. The first half is such a jumbled mess of sloppy prose, it's hard to discern a plot at all. It begins with the widowed wife of a famous novelist sorting through his remaining manuscripts, which incites various flashbacks, and gradually settles into a story. But it's hard work getting there. Thematically it's about madness, which touches several notable characters: the widow's sister's mental illness, a psychopathic fan and her husband's mental scars from his traumatic childhood. And yet it never transmits the drama of its subject matter on to the page. Furthermore, Lisey is clearly King's idea of a good female character - but what this boils down to is the fact she has cute nicknames for everything. *****

Thanks for posting the review Stewart. :) I just finished reading a book that I was enjoying before I received Lisey's Story. I like reading the reviews as it gives me something of a check-list to see whether I agree or disagree. The eight amazon reviews are four or five star reviews, though I'd imagine that has more to do with die-heard king fans. I'm amazed that the positive(and negative) views can already be out there. The book was released on the 21st, not a lot of time for people other than paid reviewers to take it all in. A short "media Mix" review from the Washington Post gives it an "A-" and lists as a fault the lack of concrete details in his supernatural world of boo-yah or whatever it's called. You can read about that here.Folks who aren't paid reviewers had to have purchased it right when it came out. Is that what you did eyezOnme? Wow.....can't say that you miss a beat in buying a Stephen King book. :)

While I don't read King I can surmise from his last two books that he's trying to do something different, although not entirely achieving it. It seems from the reviews of Cell that he ended it rather abruptly and Lisey's Story would appear to be a meandering mess. Perhaps he's wanting to break away from the conventional narrative and tying up loose ends to rejuvenate his own horror telling, if not the genre for which he's seen as a figurehead. But, by breaking away, he's heading into territory he's not comfortable with.

And yet you finished it so quickly. What didn't you like about the book?

There is no f**king plots--no sense of place, time, setting. Only thoughts meandering around in a characters head, lmao.

What makes you think I finished it? What a waste of twenty eight dollars, :mad:

Stephen can't write romance--or anything other than the supernatural--please stick to what you know best.

Also this crap of a novel is written in present-tense form.

Good for short stories, not good for a gargantuan hard-cover. Ugh.:mad:

well, my copy just showed up at the library this morning. I'm looking forward to it. I've never been disappointed by King, even when he tries new stuff or pisses the rest of his readers off.

they're always the story that he needs to write, regardless how well people actually like them, and yet he never puts it that way in a snotty manner.
..Of course, I'm one of those who was unhappy with the ending for DT, but had to admit it couldn't have really ended any differently.

I know that's of topic. Anyway. I'll probably set aside Sarah Graves and Robert Everz for the weekend and read Lisey's story.

There is no f**king plots

Usually only one is required.:rolleyes: The plot was given on the blurb on the jacket and the story(as far as I've read) clearly follows it. How is the plot not obvious? Could you explain how perhaps the dialogue shifts away from the plot? :confused: Once again, you are dealing in generalities, hence the frustration of other members in trying to have a dialogue with you about the book. "It sucked" or "there is no f**king plots" doesn't explain how and why you came to the conlusion that you did.

--no sense of place, time, setting. Only thoughts meandering around in a characters head, lmao.

I didn't find this at all. The place and the time were the current day and the setting was in house that the Landon's owned. More specifically, his study in a room that his wife was sorting and packing up. The actions that occured in Lisey's head were sequential. She would pick up an object, ruminate on it for a bit, and then the reader was taken to the event in its entirety. I was impressed with the detail given for each event, not to mention the full character development of each person involved. From the
=Landon hating university professor who begrudingly gave an award with a Louisiana draw, to the "deep space cowboy" who shot Landon.
The characters were described with good physical detail and thought. The thoughts were organized and hardly "meandering" as that would entail that the thoughts were not connected to the past and to Landon's husband. The opposite was the case in my reading.

What makes you think I finished it? What a waste of twenty eight dollars, :mad:

So you ran right out and bought it right when it hit the shelves? Your giving of price clearly gives the impression that you purchased it. I'm sorry, your hatred for King and the quickness of which you claim to have purchased the book, not to mention your vague and meandering reasons as to why you hated it, lead me to conclude that you just read something about it off the net.

Stephen can't write romance--or anything other than the supernatural--please stick to what you know best.

This isn't a romance novel. :rolleyes:

Back