• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King: Lisey's Story

Maybe he thinks he's Joyce now.
It's actually funny you should say that. The text being a sort of stream of consciousness in places, made me think he was trying to emulate something akin to Finnegans Wake. Only he's not up to it. Sentences of subchapters do end halfway through and are resumed as full sentences in the next subchapter and there are pieces of internal dialogue using the dash rather than speech marks to display them on the page. That, and the use of the word 'shite' throughout, which I can only ever hear coming from an Irish or Scottish mouth. Perhaps the use of the word shite makes it metafiction.

the use of the word 'shite' throughout, which I can only ever hear coming from an Irish or Scottish mouth.

I say shite, I'm not Irish or Scottish.
To cover up the spaminess of this post; I read the first 30 odd pages of Lisey's Story and then put it down. I usually quite like meandering reads, but this just sort of dragged very very slowly and couldn't keep my interest.

I say shite, I'm not Irish or Scottish.
I never said it wasn't possible. But only that I can hear it, in my head, coming exclusively from such mouths.

The character of Lisey is supposed to have learnt the phrase from his father, of Irish stock. Yet, with his surname being Debusher, I'm wondering where this supposedly Irish heritage comes from.

I usually quite like meandering reads, but this just sort of dragged very very slowly and couldn't keep my interest.
Meandering reads can be fine, notably when the character has had an interesting past. The premise of this novel reminded me of So Many Ways To Begin by Jon McGregor, in which the main character gets his memories from perusing a bunch of stuff, each memory putting together the full picture. I lasted forty pages of that overwritten tripe.

From about page 150 to 210 the plot, as I said, was plodding along quite well. Now, however, as I near page 400, the whole book has become ridiculous. There's supposed to be a bit of madness in the old Landon family, but with all this Boo'Ya Moon nonsense, it's becoming apparent the madness is in the King family, in that he seems to think this is his best novel.

Ya beat me to it. There's a meandering read that works quite well.

I was going to suggest he remember to leave out crumbs so he can find his way back from all the bunny trails in the book..bread is cheap and the book is definately worth it.

What did you guys think about the interaction between Scott and Lisey? The NYT reviewer thought that it was too smarmy. The whole SOWISA thing and "Babyluv."

What did you guys think about the interaction between Scott and Lisey? The NYT reviewer thought that it was too smarmy. The whole SOWISA thing and "Babyluv."

I think it's a bad move. I find it sickening to read and it really does do nothing for the story. The book is supposed to show the interior language of a marriage - so they can call themselves 'snuggums' and whatever all the want - but the book is full of ridiculous stuff (such as SOWISA, which still doesn't make any sense to me) and it doesn't help that King constantly refers to it as the interior language of their marriage. If your book is about that, you don't tell us, you let us infer from the narrative.

I think the Metro review I posted is quite accurate in the thinking that King's idea of a female narrative is just to include heaps of cutesy nicknames. What's even more horrible is that 99% of the nicknames aren't even hers: it's all, 'as so-and-so would say', 'as they say', 'so-and-so called it a', etc.

Also, you can see the laziness in the writing with this tiny extract of two consecutive paragraphs that I spotted this morning:

"Time to call Miss Buggy Bumpers," she said, using a childhood name for Darla Lisey hadn't heard in years.

Lisey glanced at her watch and saw it was now after three. Not much chance of Canty and Darla (once known as Miss Buggy Bumpers, and how she'd hated it) still being at lunch.

Twice we're told about Miss Buggy Bumpers. Not to mention the other sister called 'big sissa Manda-bunny'. Yes, you read that right! :p (And this is a character in her fifties.)

I think the whole dialogue and characters in this book are stupid. The main character, Lisey, seems to have a bit of trouble remembering her husband. Sometimes she recalls him as speaking perfectly normal, which is fine, and then the next minute he's sounding like some stranger that's jus' come on steppin' outta dem woods, y'all. I think it rankles with me because I don't believe that after twenty-five years of marriage the way he sounds would matter to her, would be as important as what he says.

I find it strange that King is someone who there seems to be a general concensus that he does write good characters. I can't speak for his older stuff that I can't remember, but based on this I'm not seeing it. If good characters are people who speak in an accent, have little phrases for things, and are utterly boring, then King does write good characters.

In reflecting on it, I believe that he did a good job in giving each character their "voice." Amanda was very sarcastic and neurotic, he brought that out very well. Doole was on bad dude. Other than his physique, nothing stood out in regards to the dialogue with him. That could've been developed more now that I think about it.

an Andy Clutterbuck in the book too, and I seem to remember that name from something else of King's that I've read, although I couldn't tell you what.

Needful Things was one of the books. Norris Ridgewick was another character from that book who got mentioned here. Also caught a reference to the main character from Bag of Bones.

One thing I don't understand: if her husband died two years ago, why is Lisey starting to look through his papers now? I don't recall King explaining her reason behind waiting to do that.

Needful Things was one of the books. Norris Ridgewick was another character from that book who got mentioned here. Also caught a reference to the main character from Bag of Bones.

One thing I don't understand: if her husband died two years ago, why is Lisey starting to look through his papers now? I don't recall King explaining her reason behind waiting to do that.
I haven't read the book yet, but it seems pretty logical. If your husband dies you'd probably be too upset to even look at his stuff, much less browse through them until at least a year later.

Every time Stephen King releases a book it seems that it's always a return to form. Even From A Buick 8. Whether this is finally an admission that he lost it is open for debate, but Lisey's Story is further hyped in that King believes it to be his best work yet. It's certainly a departure from his previous novels, a move probably due to his controversial award from the National Book Award foundation in 2003. It would seem that King, as if in justification for his reward, has literary pretensions. Or has something to prove.

In Lisey's Story King continues with one of his favourite subjects: writers. In a departure from previous novels like Misery, The Dark Half, and Bag Of Bones, the author is dead two years prior to the novel opening. Scott Landon, survived by his wife Lisey, won the Pulitzer and the National Book Award during his short life. It's no mean feat for an author of horror novels. (Wake up, Stevie, you're dreaming!)

Now, as the story begins, Lisey is preparing to pack up Scott’s scribblings and move on with her life. But, as she enters his study she is taken on trips down memory lane by the objects therein to such events as the couple’s first date and an assassination attempt, John Lennon style, on Scott. The novel, however, isn’t just a nostalgic journey; Lisey's Story is, at its core, about madness, and there’s a fair peppering of characters a slate short of a roof: Scott’s father, Lisey’s sister, and a loony fanboy who just happens to be in the area. Nice. And it’s this lunatic, threatening Lisey to offer Scott’s papers to the local university, that forms much of the drama within the novel’s here and now.

As a read, the first 150 pages were a disorganised mess. It is apparent that King has attempted something different to his usual work, grappled with stylistic decisions, and not managed to pull it off. What we have here is a collection of memories, one after the other, that serve to portray Scott Landon as the man Lisey loved. They are lifeless recollections, told in the present tense for immediacy, but they fail to connect with any empathy the reader may have for their predicament. And so it continues, stories told without lustre, which is disappointing given that, while told in the third person, the scenes often delve into Lisey’s mind. Aren’t her memories exciting? The reason, to take the assassination attempt as an example, is that King is trying to cram every detail into the scene (and one which happens all too fast) rather than giving only the pertinent details.

It picks up, however, with the introduction of the aforementioned fanboy as the drama begins to mount in the present, bringing Lisey out of her dull reveries. And, just as soon as the book becomes interesting, it commits literary seppuku and delves back into the past. The more we learn of Scott, the more Lisey remembers of him. So it comes to pass that, like King himself, Scott had a personal demon in the booze. Scott, also, to give the book a supernatural twist, has a place called Boo’Ya Moon in which he retreats. It’s a place that he finds both a relief and terrifying in equal measure.

The biggest problem with Lisey’s Story is that it is wordy. Not just verbose to the point where an editor’s red pen may have saved it, but wordy in the sense that it’s full of meaningless words. In an attempt to catalogue the interior language of the Landons’ marriage, King puts some of the stupidest twee phrases ever put in print into the mouths of his own characters. Thus Lisey, around fifty years old, goes around calling her elder sister ‘Big Sissa Manda Bunny’ and excessively using the word ‘smucking’. Scott, in the past, talks of nonsense such as bools, which seem to be some confused mess of clues and/or gifts. Attempts to explain it fall by the wayside and this reader was left just as confused as Lisey first was when Scott came up to her, his wrists bleeding on their first date and offered her his blood-bool. The biggest problem with this twee verbage isn’t that it’s utter nonsense, it’s that King actually declares it as ‘the interior language of their marriage.’ I guess he’s never read the show don’t tell part of his own On Writing.

I honestly think that the biggest problem that I had with Lisey’s Story is that King’s prose is just one big ramblesnooze. That, and the fact that it’s full of annoying phrases. Not signature phrases attributed to characters, as there’s nothing wrong with that, but the continual poor attempt at introducing them: ‘like so-and-so used to say’, ‘as they say’, ‘so-and-so used to call them’ ‘what so-and-so referred to as’, and so on ad infinitum. The other annoying aspect to the prose was the way that, rather than just tell the reader what the character was thinking, he would interrupt a paragraph with a bracketed sentence before continuing the narrative.

As for the characters, they just lacked spirit. Lisey, despite being the eponymous title of the novel, doesn’t have much of a story to tell. She wanders about, remembers a few things, and not much else until the denouement. Scott, as a character, came across much better but that’s because he had a more interesting past, a broken home, the death of an older sibling, and a father certifiably mad. The other major player, the lunatic, works, although his appearances are few, his spectre still lingers throughout. Lesser used characters come and go, some more believable than others, but King really needed everyone to be plausible for his work to be more credible.

While I didn’t like Lisey’s Story, I can find no fault with the idea, the notion of a spouse cleaning up the unfinished works of an author while grubby hands wait to get their eyes on them. And to catalogue a love that endures, even after death. It’s just a pity that King thought of it. But I think that the novel would have been much better if King could tighten his prose, ditch silly get-out devices like Boo-Ya Moon, cut the glut of phrases and just write, and finish the story when it has met its natural conclusion rather than just saunter about for sixty pages cleaning up the loose ends. Next time Lisey has a story to tell, I won’t be listening.

I have this novel laying beside my bed as we speak, but I wish to finish my current read before I begin it. However, knowing my luck once I do finish reading Lisey's Story the interest in it will have died down. ;)

At any rate, I look forward to reading this novel.

Fantastic review Stewart! I can't say "Big Sissa Mandy Bunny" and "smucking" bothered me very much, but I could have lived without the constant references to SOWISA. Also, Scott's inconsistent ways of speaking were annoying; one minute he's Scott Landon, Best-Selling Author, the next he's Scott Landon, Good Ol' Country Boy.

I'm a bit curious about this segment of the review:

I can find no fault with the idea, the notion of a spouse cleaning up the unfinished works of an author while grubby hands wait to get their eyes on them. And to catalogue a love that endures, even after death. It’s just a pity that King thought of it.

Who do you think would have done a better job with similar material?

the constant references to SOWISA. Also, Scott's inconsistent ways of speaking were annoying; one minute he's Scott Landon, Best-Selling Author, the next he's Scott Landon, Good Ol' Country Boy.

That all really annoyed me too. Another thing that really annoyed me was, when in the grip of panic, Lisey was having an internal thought and called Scott "my late husband" - now who, when thinking to themself, calls their spouse of 25 years anything but their name?

Who do you think would have done a better job with similar material?

Anyone. ;)

I think it's more an interesting premise. But because of the poor writing and all this Boo-Ya Moon crap, the premise got lost in the author straining make a story in which he was out of his depth interesting.

Back