• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stephen King

Yes, I've read Bachman. In fact, the first King book I ever read was "The Long Walk". I wasn't very old, probably about 12 or 13, and I thought it was excellent, though very upsetting. The really funny thing was that it was my uncle who lent it to me, and later I used to argue that it was as good as a Stephen King book, but my uncle said "No way, King is a rubbish writer, this is a proper book!" ;) Later on, as I read more and more King, I started to think that Bachman's writing style was exactly the same as King's, and started to wonder... When I told my uncle they were one and the same, he refused to believe me and then stormed off in a huff!! :)

A wonderful anecdote! :)

:cool: If you're just getting started with Stephen King, I would recommend his first published novel, The Long Walk, which was actually written using his pen name of Richard Bachman. It is still one of my favorite reads by Stevey. It can be found in a collection called The Bachman Books, otherwise it is difficult to find. Rage is also a good read, and is also one of the Bachman Books. Those two would introduce you well to King.

Also, if you like King, Poe, that kind of writing... I would recommend Palindrome Hannah, by Michael Bailey. It's a little literary / a little horror, blended nicely.

I second this recommendation. I love his Bachman novellas.

Interestingly, King requested that Rage should no longer be published. He said that, in light of school shootings such as Columbine and others, he felt uncomfortable with the story.

I'm about to read It. I'm putting my Harry Bosch and Harry Dresden novels on hold for finishing later. It had better live up to it's standards if I had to do that.

I've only read 6 novels from King,all of them were good,but my favorite was Pet Sematary. Is It as scary and suspenseful?
Pet Sematary was the second King novel I've read. Pretty damn scary. So no, It isn't as scary and suspenseful. But it's amazing in its own way. ;) I don't think you'll be disappointed, but maybe it won't be your favorite. How far in are you?

It is my all time favorite Stephen King novel and one of the best books I have ever read, causing me to read this book several times. Granted, it may not be as scary as some other SK books, but for me there were times I got a chill that ran up my spine. What made it scary for me may not make it scary for others.

The Stand comes in a very close second in my ranking of SK books. This book wasn't scary at all but the story line and characters make it a classic.
Of Course all the short stories by Stephen King are very good as well. For awhile I stopped reading SK because it seemed to me he got a little to soft (not horrifying). However, he lured me back in with Duma Key. Which was a very good book and scary in places.

I think it is interesting that Stephen King didn't like the film version of The Shining!
If he thought that it was " a Cadillac without an engine", what the heck must he have thought of Sometimes They Come Back or any of the other horrible movies derived from his stories? A Yugo without a steering wheel?

Anyhow, a neat article Lenny.

I think it is interesting that Stephen King didn't like the film version of The Shining!
If he thought that it was " a Cadillac without an engine", what the heck must he have thought of Sometimes They Come Back or any of the other horrible movies derived from his stories? A Yugo without a steering wheel?

Anyhow, a neat article Lenny.
He probably doesn't mind that those movies are bad (because they're awesomely bad). He's in a lot of them! But I think he's more outspoken about The Shining since the movie itself & Kubrick are a big deal. Somewhere in this forum, I posted a Playboy interview where Stephen King goes into about how he felt about Kubrick and Kubrick's Shining.

[edit]
Here it is: http://www.bookandreader.com/forums/f8/has-there-been-any-movie-that-was-489-6.html#post78567

Ahhh. Thanks Libra, that sheds some light on it. I need to read that article. I guess it's like you said, so many of his stories are made into "Awesomely bad" movies, I was just shocked to hear him criticize one that was actually good!
I think his reasoning that, because Kubrick didn't believe in God it changed the way he told the story was an interesting insight. And probably very true.

S. King

I am a fan of his early novels. "IT" one of my favorite books of all time! But, I did like The Green Mile and I consider that one of his newer novels.

Back