• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Stieg Larsson: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

Americans don't read subtitles? Pretty much every more or less successful non-English-language movie gets a quick remake these days...

You know that American's can't read and watch a movie at the same time. That's just asking too much of our atrophied brains.

Changed the ending? Egads. :sad:
The Original films were great, don't even need a remake. Bah Humbug.

It must be the Mt. Everest of films. Why climb Mt. Everest once it has already been climbed?

But that's something you can do individually, it's not like everyone who's read Larsson should make their own film adaptation of it.

And booo to changing the ending, that doesn't make any sense, and if the guy's a complete pervert in the book, why do them righteous Americans have to change that too?

But that's something you can do individually, it's not like everyone who's read Larsson should make their own film adaptation of it.

And booo to changing the ending, that doesn't make any sense, and if the guy's a complete pervert in the book, why do them righteous Americans have to change that too?

Can you hear the sound of large stacks of dollar bills being riffled? :confused:

and if the guy's a complete pervert in the book, why do them righteous Americans have to change that too?

You mean Blomkvist? I'm glad the American film won't include his sexual conquests. It was difficult to believe every woman who met him immediately fell in love with him on sight. I'm more concerned about the new ending as the one used in the book was fine.

I really loved this series, best book series I have read in a long time. It's a shame Larsson died before it really got successful.

Stieg Larssson: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Summary: Mikael Blomkvist is a journalist down on his luck. He is being sent to jail for libel in a story he wrote, and his paper is on the edge of closing. A man called Henrik Vanger appears and proposes Mikael a huge offer: 7 million Kroner for him to solve his dear Harriet Vanger's disappearance. The other main character is Lisbeth Salander, a hacker, as well as an oddball with a tragic backstory. Together, Blomknvist and Salander will delve into the Hell, that is known as the Vanger family.

My opinion: If you can get through the financial into in the first 100 pages, you will get a really good book. Blomkvist may be the main character, but Salander is the highlight of the story. I'll admit, some of the things in this book is really hard to stomach. I don't think I've ever seen a plot come together so neatly, it felt like a Birthday gift. I'm definitely getting The Girl Who Played with Fire soon.

My rating: 4.6/5

My opinion: If you can get through the financial into in the first 100 pages, you will get a really good book. Blomkvist may be the main character, but Salander is the highlight of the story. I'll admit, some of the things in this book is really hard to stomach. I don't think I've ever seen a plot come together so neatly, it felt like a Birthday gift. I'm definitely getting The Girl Who Played with Fire soon.

My rating: 4.6/5

Nice review. I agree, the first 100 pages could be a drag. Salander was the most interesting character IMO.

I'm already 100 pages into The Girl Who Played With Fire. Started out on a better note than The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo did,but I don't think it's as good.

Well, I finished The Girl Who Played With Fire. Here's my review:

Plot Summary: Mikael Blomkvist hires a journalist who is doing research on an underground sex trade organization. That reporter is then murdered. The funny thing is, the murder weapon used to kill the newly hired journalist and his wife, had Lisbeth Salander's finger prints on it. Blomkvist believes Salander had nothing to do with it, and tries to prove her innocence. Meanwhile Salander tries to deal with it in the only way she knows best.

My opinion: The Girl Who Played With Fire is just as good, if not better, than The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. What makes this book better is that Salander is really the main character this time around, followed by no financial bullshit like in the first 100 pages of the first book. We actually get to look through the villains perspective this time too :).

Although all the characters were fleshed out really well in the first book, they really take the sidelines here. We got really intimate with the Vangers in TGWTDT, didn't have that vibe with anyone in this book. The book has one of the greatest endings I've ever seen, I was just about to shit bricks.

My rating: 4.8/5

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest review:

Well, I can't say much about this book like in my usual reviews, but I can say it was quite good. Not as good as The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo or The Girl Who Played With Fire, but still a good book.

I can also say it brings the whole series to a close. It's too bad Larsson died before he could write more, he was literary genius.

Goodbye Lisbeth Salander, you were an awesome character, and I'm sure gonna miss you :'(.

My rating:4/5

Colour me one of those people who loved the English remake. Just as good as the Swedish adaptation imo. The book stands untouched.

Looking back @ the last page, how did they "completely change the ending"? Don't want to spoil it but it was pretty much the same -- a few minor details cut to keep the running time under 2:45.

Back