• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions: April 2012 BOTM - Moderator's Picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Landslide

Like the title says, in April the moderators nominate the books!
So, there's 5 moderators, what do you say to 2 nominations each? We'd have 10 books to choose from...

Under the Skin by Michel Faber (synopsis found on B&N.com)

A surreal representation of contemporary society run amok, set in the very real beauty of the Scottish Highlands.

Isserley picks up hitchhikers with big muscles. She, herself, is tiny-like a kid peering up over the steering wheel. She has a remarkable face and wears the thickest corrective lenses anyone has ever seen. Her posture is suggestive of some spinal problem. Her breasts are perfect; perhaps implants. She is strangely erotic yet somehow grotesque, vulnerable yet threatening. Her hitchhikers are a mixed bunch of men-trailer trash and travelling postgrads, thugs and philosophers. But Isserley is only interested in whether they have families and whether they have muscles. Then, it's only a question of how long she can endure her pain-physical and spiritual-and their conversation.

Damned by Chuck Palahniuk

“Are you there, Satan? It’s me, Madison,” declares the whip-tongued thirteen-year-old narrator of Damned, Chuck Palahniuk’s subversive new work of fiction. The daughter of a narcissistic film star and a billionaire, Madison is abandoned at her Swiss boarding school over Christmas, while her parents are off touting their new projects and adopting more orphans. She dies over the holiday of a mari*juana overdose—and the next thing she knows, she’s in Hell. Madison shares her cell with a motley crew of young sinners that is almost too good to be true: a cheerleader, a jock, a nerd, and a punk rocker, united by fate to form the six-feet-under version of everyone’s favorite detention movie. Madison and her pals trek across the Dandruff Desert and climb the treacherous Mountain of Toenail Clippings to confront Satan in his citadel. All the popcorn balls and wax lips that serve as the currency of Hell won’t buy them off.

This is the afterlife as only Chuck Palahniuk could imagine it: a twisted inferno where The English Patient plays on end*less repeat, roaming demons devour sinners limb by limb, and the damned interrupt your dinner from their sweltering call center to hard-sell you Hell. He makes eternal torment, well, simply divine.

Ups, I only counted the moderators...
Since we can only have 10 options in a poll, Janet if you want to suggest one book, I'll suggest only one too.

Well, I have to say since I LOLed at the description of Damned its going to take a lot to change my vote.

smiley-slap.gif

Are we plebeians who frequent this board allowed to read the books that our overlords, I mean moderators, eventually pick?

Yes, yes you are. In fact, you are encouraged to vote once the poll is up and then even more encouragement for you to participate in the discussion. :)

So far I haven't been interested in any of the selections, so I more than likely won't be voting or participating. I have a TBR mountain calling to me.

Are we plebeians who frequent this board allowed to read the books that our overlords, I mean moderators, eventually pick?

You're not allowed, you're required. You will then have your opinion assigned to you and you will then present your neck to the executioner's dull axe or be sold to the salt mines - wherever the need is greatest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back