• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions:November 2008 Book of the Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libra

Start your suggestions.
The only one I can suggest is Uncle Tom's Cabin but I would love to hear all your suggestions since I have not ventured much away from Gabaldon.

Well, if we're going with the female authors theme, my picks are as follows:

Edith Wharton, The Custom of the Country (I already read her The House of Mirth and The Age of Innocence)
Sandra Cisneros, The House on Mango Street
Nadine Gordimer, The Conservationist

Uncle Tom's Cabin is good for me. I would like to suggest The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans).

Females? You want females?

Besides Uncle Tom's Cabin, I suggest

Charlotte Bronte, Villette
George Eliot, The Mill on the Floss
Elizabeth Gaskell, Cranford
Rebecca West, The Fountain Overflows

Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen (Karen Blixen)

Mrs. Dalloway by Wirginia Woolf

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

The Lover by Marguerite Duras

Bonjour Tristesse by Francoise Sagan

My Antonia by Willa Cather

Any of the Brontés

Yays, also, for Wharton and Eliot.

More may come. :flowers:

Are My Antonia and The Good Earthpart of trilogies? At least that's what I found in my search.

Are My Antonia and The Good Earthpart of trilogies? At least that's what I found in my search.

Libra, then you certainly know more about it than I do. Speaking for myself, those are the only two titles I have ever heard associated with those particular authors. If parts, of trilogies, then I guess one has to say they are by far the most famous parts. Live and learn. :flowers:

Libra, then you certainly know more about it than I do. Speaking for myself, those are the only two titles I have ever heard associated with those particular authors. If parts, of trilogies, then I guess one has to say they are by far the most famous parts. Live and learn. :flowers:

Peder, from my search to get info on the books, I saw that each one is part of a trilogy.

My Antonia is the final book :
My Ãntonia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and pontalba put the link for the other.:)

Peder, from my search to get info on the books, I saw that each one is part of a trilogy.

The characters from both books appear in other books, so in a sense the stories continue. Both books stand well independently, however.

I read The Good Earth as an impressionable teen ager. It would be interesting to read it now and see what I think -- maybe still impressionable, but definitely no longer a teen ager.

Any Cather book is good. I particularly like The Song of the Lark.

The characters from both books appear in other books, so in a sense the stories continue. Both books stand well independently, however.
If they are that good, I would want to read all three. My Antonia is the third so ,knowing that there are two prior I would feel that I have not gotten the whole story. That's just me though.

When I read River God-Wilbur Smith thinking it was one book I was ok.Finding out from Thomas the story continues with another 2-3 books, I have to know what happens. (It's my addictiveness to an unfinished story I guess):)

Well, I'm certainly not going to try to talk anyone into reading only part of a trilogy, so scratch my one of those two. (My Antonia). :flowers:

Two ideas:

The Rice Mother-Rani Maneka

The Joys of Motherhood-Bhuchi Emecheta

I haven't read The Joys of Motherhood, but it sounds worthwhile. Thanks Stewart for mentioning it elsewhere.

BTW I could stand a reread of The Good Earth...it has been a very long time...

Well, I'm certainly not going to try to talk anyone into reading only part of a trilogy, so scratch my one of those two. (My Antonia). :flowers:

I for one have put it on my "to buy " list. All three:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back