• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Suggestions:November 2008 Book of the Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahhh, now that would take a year to go over at least. :cool:

Speaking about Gabaldon ,today, I was lying on my bed and I glanced at her books(Gabaldon) on my bureau and got irritated because I thought "for freaking sake I hope she ends the story with her new book that is coming out
in 2009 , I can't handle the waiting anymore.I have to go on with my life.:lol:(I wonder if she is going to tour again...):whistling:

abecedarian you know the movie Dreamcatcher? That part where the guy is running around the brain departments and tries to hide some files,(if I remember correctly);) I am like that:innocent:

Speaking about Gabaldon ,today, I was lying on my bed and I glanced at her books(Gabaldon) on my bureau and got irritated because I thought "for freaking sake I hope she ends the story with her new book that is coming out
in 2009 , I can't handle the waiting anymore.I have to go on with my life.:lol:(I wonder if she is going to tour again...):whistling:
Nope, one more after this next one from what I gathered on her website. :p

From an author that gave us one great novel and then died from cancer before she could give us another.

The Auctioneer by Joan Samson.

From the dust jacket...

Harlowe, New Hampshire, is a rural township still isolated from the pressures and changes of the second half of the twentieth century. It is here that John Moore works the land farmed by his family for centuries, here that he lives with his wife and daughter, and here that he expects to die when his life's work is done. But from the moment that a magnetic stanger named Perly Dunsmore arrives in the community and begins a series of auctions to raise money for the growth of the local police force, the days of John Moore's freedom and independence are studdenly numbered.
Page after page,the reader is trapped with John Moore in the grip of chilling horror as he is relentlesly stripped of his possessions, his ability to resist, hi scourage, and his hope by the ever-growing power and demands of the auctioneer. What was initially a minor nuisance, then an infuriating intrusion, now becomes for John Moore a desperate, seemingly doomed battle against a force that has already corupted all of Harlowe and is systematically destroying it.

I have been meaning to read this one for several months now as it comes highly recommended - doubles as 2 women writers and includes several of the women authors mentioned in our thread thus far...

The Madwoman in the Attic: The Woman Writer and the Nineteenth-Century Literary Imagination by Sandra M. Gilbert and Susan Gubar

I have been meaning to read this one for several months now as it comes highly recommended - doubles as 2 women writers and includes several of the women authors mentioned in our thread thus far...

The Madwoman in the Attic: The Woman Writer and the Nineteenth-Century Literary Imagination by Sandra M. Gilbert and Susan Gubar

This must be fate because I JUST bought this yesterday! :blink:

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf

Does this mean you will be joining us?:D

How about Joyce Carol Oates' newest book released in April, Wild Things. I have enjoyed many of her books plus this one is fiction about the lives of great authors. It should be very good. Synopsis below:

Edgar Allan Poe, Emily Dickinson, Samuel Clemens ("Mark Twain"), Henry James, Ernest Hemingway—Joyce Carol Oates evokes each of these American literary icons in her newest work of prose fiction, poignantly and audaciously reinventing the climactic events of their lives. In subtly nuanced language suggestive of each of these writers, Oates explores the mysterious regions of the unknowable self that is "genius"—for Edgar Allan Poe, a belated encounter with bizarre life‑forms utterly alien to the poet's exalted Romantic aesthetics; for Emily Dickinson, resurrected in the twenty-first century in a "distilled" state, a belated encounter with blundering humanity and brute passion of a kind excluded from the poet's verse; for the elderly, renowned Samuel Clemens, a belated encounter with impassioned innocence, in the form of "the little girl who loves you"; for Henry James, an aging volunteer in a London hospital during World War I, a belated encounter with the physicality of desire and the raw yearning of love long absent from the master's fiction; and, for Ernest Hemingway, the most tragic of these figures, a belated encounter with the "profound mysteries of the world outside him, and the profound mysteries of the world inside him."

Wild Nights! is Joyce Carol Oates's most original and haunting work of the imagination, a writer's memoirist work in the form of fiction.

Wild Nights! is a book I could really get interested in, and from amazon this is the review that I really love.

Kirkus Reviews
"Our most industrious writer back at the anvil, making her usual unholy racket, while simultaneously throwing off sporadic sparks of unalloyed brilliance."

Reading between the lines, that use of the word 'sporadic' that some how slipped in doesn't necessarily bode well, but I'm not picky. The concept is a great one and I could go for it.

Great suggestion! :)

There are quite a few suggestions I like. :)

My suggestion is The Awakening by Kate Chopin.

"When it first appeared in 1899, Kate Chopin's The Awakening was greated with cries of outrage. The novel's frank portrayal of a woman's emotional, intellectual, and sexual awakening shocked the sensibilities of the time and destroyed the author's reputation and career. Many years passed before this short, pioneering work was recognized as a major achievement in American literature.

Set in and around New Orleans, The Awakening tells the story of Edna Pntellier, a young wife and mother. While on vacation, Edna meets the son of a Louisiana resort owner, with whom she gradually falls in love. As she pulls away from her husband, Edna begins to develop a sense of herself as a whole person, with unique wants, interests, and desires.
Determined to control her own life, she flouts convention by moving out of her husband's house, having an adulterous affair, and becoming an artist.

-

Otherwise I'd be in on
- Uncle Tom's Cabin
- To Kill A Mockingbird and
- Frankenstein

To The Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf
A Vindication of the Rights of Woman - Mary Wollstonecraft
A Handful Of Dust - Evelyn Waugh
The Feminine Mystique - Betty Friedan
The House of Mirth - Edith Wharton
The Powers and Duties of Poor Law Guardians in Times of Exceptional Distress - Emmiline Pankhurst
Death Comes For The Archbishop - Willa Cather
Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
Janet Doncaster - Millicent Fawcett
Jane Erye - Charlotte Bronte
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
The Second Sex - Simone de Beauvoir
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling

To The Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf
A Vindication of the Rights of Woman - Mary Wollstonecraft
A Handful Of Dust - Evelyn Waugh
The Feminine Mystique - Betty Friedan
The House of Mirth - Edith Wharton
The Powers and Duties of Poor Law Guardians in Times of Exceptional Distress - Emmiline Pankhurst
Death Comes For The Archbishop - Willa Cather
Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen
Janet Doncaster - Millicent Fawcett
Jane Erye - Charlotte Bronte
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
The Second Sex - Simone de Beauvoir
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling

Are you joining us?

The only bad thing about the suggestion thread is that my "to buy" list is getting longer.:cool:

Have you decided on which book we are to begin with or just read all of them listed here? I think a female writers' book group is an awesome idea, and would love to join in the fun. Also, I am in the first essay in the Madwoman in the Attic by Gilbert and Gubar. It is everything I thought it would be and more.

Have you decided on which book we are to begin with or just read all of them listed here? I think a female writers' book group is an awesome idea, and would love to join in the fun. Also, I am in the first essay in the Madwoman in the Attic by Gilbert and Gubar. It is everything I thought it would be and more.

It would be great for you to join us. We are just making suggestions for November now, we are going to eventually bring them down ,then pick the book.We decided to suggest female authors just for November.:)

I have narrowed my choices down to these.:)

Simone de Beauvoir-The Second Sex

George Eliot-The Mill on the Floss

Rebecca West-The Fountain Overflows

Francoise Sagan -Bonjour Tristesse

Virginia Woolf-The Waves

Sandra Cisneros-The House on Mango Street

Margaret Atwood-The Handmaid's Tale

Sandra Gilbert-The Madwoman in the Attic

Are you joining us?

The only bad thing about the suggestion thread is that my "to buy" list is getting longer.:cool:

Not likely. My suggestions were meant for those budding feminists out there.....well that and a shallow attempt to get some response. My little trap went unnoticed.

I would like to read one of these.

Funhome: A Family Tragicomic - Allison Bechdel
An American Childhood - Annie Dillard
Modern American Memoirs - "
The Living - "

pederand Robert no hints whatsoever.

joderu95

Simone de Beauvoir-The Second Sex sounds like a good read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back