• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Supersize Me

AMEN, cajunmama

i didn't see Supersize Me. was it a personal experiment for fun only, or was he trying to imply that people might actually eat that way and so it was a "valid" experiment?

I think Supersize Me is a pretty funny movie.

It's not really revealing, 'cause we all know that fast food isn't healthy. Personally I like it, but not all the time. Sometimes it's just nice to go to McDonalds instead of cooking. Around here there are no other Burger Palaces or something similar. If you want a burger you have to go to McDonalds or Burger King. The whole thing started around here and when I was 15 or so and had my first McDonalds burger. There are just a handful of Burger Kings in Austria but a lot of McDonalds.

I've worked at McDonalds for a summer job (4 weeks) and it wasn't great but not too bad. Their management structure is quite weird and they tend to tell their employes that they are shit and the customers are the kings. That's quite annoying. You sometimes hear horror stories about the kitchen, but it's not that bad. Most of the time they are holding tight to their high hygienic standards but we all know what's going on when the boss isn't looking.

:D :D :D

hey Gizmo - i, too, worked at mcdonalds when i was young. i was there about 6 months - just long enough to be able to use them as a reference for a new job (they were my first job). they were definitely all about the customer being king. i got a bunch of customer service pins :rolleyes: the drive thru is actually where i met my husband (tho it took many years for that to come about) - i was working cashier and he drove through. haha

I'm still waiting for the DVD to come out on this one, but I did read an article, I think in the Guardian, where the writer tried this very American diet for a week, just one week, and it began to make him ill. He even cheated one day because his stomach couldn't stand the shock. And while the good kind folks of this forum may have the common sense not to engage in such behavior, I happen to know entire families where at least 90% of the time they eat fast food -- breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Perhaps it isn't so surprising that in one family the son had developed heart problems by his early 20s and the mom is obese and has had a brain tumor.

Irene Wilde

I used to work with a girl whose whole family had weight problems. Her father died from complications of diabetes and she has recently developed diabetes herself. A coworker asked her about her diet and she mentioned that they were baking cakes once or twice a week and that they couldn't afford to eat healthy because healthy foods (produce, meat, etc.) are too expensive. Of course, she could still afford to eat at the fast food places every day and go out to the night clubs a couple of times per week.

I take a fairly healthy breakfast and lunch to work every day and it usually costs me $2 to $3. Can't get much of a meal at the fast food joints with that kind of money, even from the "value menu."

mr_michel said:
fat people its the most discriminated group in modern world :eek:

That's because their condition is largely avoidable and a great many of them choose to put the blame in other places. Anyone looking for excuses for their own bad choices is going to find it hard to be taken seriously by people. It's no different from the loons who do stupid, self-injuring things and then sue other people. The woman who spilled coffee over herself while driving and then sued McD's for making it too hot, or the woman who tripped over her own child in a shop and then sued the shop keeper for allowing the child to get in her way, these stories are no different to people that are overweight and continue to eat poorly and blame advertisers and fast food sellers for their condition. There's a chap from another forum who told us all that it wasn't his fault he couldn't walk past the chocolate vending machine without buying, it was all the fault of the manufacturers who wrap their chocolate in bright coloured wrappers. Now, unless his mother mated with a magpie, I'm afraid that argument just doesn't stand up.

If someone is fat, and just doesn't care, and know they're fat because they're eating cream cakes for dinner everyday, then I don't have a problem with that. If someone genuinely has a medical condition, then I'll have sympathy for them. But if anyone is blaming anything other than themselves for their own choices then I will have no respect for them. It doesn't matter that they're overweight, it's purely that they refuse to take responsibility for their own actions.

An interesting proposition. So what you're saying is, we should set up some sort of wrestling system so people have to fight one another to gain access to a limited number of burgers? Intriguing.

only if I get to wrestle in this costume ...

mickronson1.jpg

This is the last place I expected to find a photo of Ronno, but muchas gracias, Mr. Burns! It perked up my mood immeasurably.

Irene Wilde

Litany said:
If someone is fat, and just doesn't care, and know they're fat because they're eating cream cakes for dinner everyday, then I don't have a problem with that. If someone genuinely has a medical condition, then I'll have sympathy for them. But if anyone is blaming anything other than themselves for their own choices then I will have no respect for them. It doesn't matter that they're overweight, it's purely that they refuse to take responsibility for their own actions.

Yes, ma'am!! *saluting Litany*

If someone is fat, and just doesn't care, and know they're fat because they're eating cream cakes for dinner everyday, then I don't have a problem with that.

Ah, but the issue is whether their choice somehow earns them ridicule? If a person chooses to be fat, doesn't excuse their actions, and doesn't blame anyone or ask for anything, why is it considered appropriate and, in some cases, encouraged, to hold them up to the light of infamy as some sort of modern-day Quasimoto?

Case in point -- I'm 43, 5'5" and over 200 pounds. HOWEVER, I also walk between 8 and 12 miles per day, have a blood pressure of 110/70, have a cholestrol count that athletes would kill for and can lift and easily carry over 150 pounds. I'm a former competition powerlifter (with trophies on the mantle) and when those muscles degrade, they degrade badly. So, I'm fat. I make no bones about it. I eat right, but the weight isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Does the visual appearance somehow make it right to made snide remarks when ordering at a restaurant (regardless of what is purchased) or when clothes shopping? Mind you -- nobody messes with me particularly (I'm fortunate to have an hourglass figure despite the heavy hips, and the thirteen inch bulging biceps are somewhat off-putting :rolleyes: )

But it's an interesting concept and I agree that it's the last bastion of prejudice allowed today. Ah, well. I'm sure that those who will ridicule will always ridicule if something is outside their limited box of understanding.

Still, I thought the movie interesting, and understand how easy it is in America to get sucked into the "fast food revolving door."

Cathy
Leading penguins agree - fat keeps you warm at the Pole!

I don't think anyone is saying it's OK to ridicule overweight people. The problem (at least for me) is that many feel that blaming fast food places for their weight is valid.

I think that's indicative of the world we are living in now. The problem is that nobody wants to take the blame for anything at all. We live in a world where it's always sombody elses fault. It's the reason everybody is so sue happy. It's not my fault. It's not my fault im fat, it's Buger King. It's not my fault that i'm an A-hole, it's my upbringing. It's not my fault I crashed my car it's the cities fault for not providing the right signs.

Back