• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Susanna Clarke: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Screw it, I'm buying this.

I'm not at all a fantasy-fan, but after reading this thread I'm very, very tempted to go out and buy this puppy.

Like Ashlea, it's the Gaiman recommendation that did it for me (yes, and you, too, Mage!).

Cheers

A belated sell, Martin - it isn't fantasy... Sure, it has magicians and faerie in it. But the writing itself makes this not a fantasy book. It's a little like Gaiman (in that it's dark and scary in parts); the language reminds me a lot of Dickens or Austen - certainly classics-era; the story is as entertaining as any thriller - although moves a lot more slowly *grin*; and it's as fulfilling as Tolkien in terms of the complete alternate world she's created.

Actually, I'm a boring accountant :D . So I shouldn't be able to sell anything! In fact, I should be telling you not to buy it because of the high cost of purchasing a hardback book :p

RaVeN said:
At the time I purchesd it, I bought 3 copies. One for general use, and additional cream and black copies that I've kept wrapped.

raven... do you normally buy 3 of the same books?

sillywabbit is right - darn looks like i'll have to spend some money soon!!! you guys got me interested in this book now!

ds

direstraits said:
raven... do you normally buy 3 of the same books?

No. This is the first time i've ever bought more than one copy of a book.
I bought the black and white versions over the net, figuring I would set one of them back just for the hell of it. I got too antsy though while waiting for their arrival so I went to a bookstore and bought a third one.

RaVeN

(Also posted in my own forum but I thought I'd mention this here too)

I noticed on Guardian Books that Newline (makers of the LOTR films) have purchased the movie rights to Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell. This is all well and good, but the thing that irked me was that the article referred to the book as a bestselling piece of children's fantasy.

The book is almost 800 pages and has many adult themes, why has it been labelled as children's fantasy? Are publishers too afraid of genre novels unless they put them out as children's books where fantasy is much more acceptable? Or is this just the case with Bloomsbury, who are trying to repeat their Harry Potter success? Or am I just being paranoid?

Just noticed on Amazon that this book is fourth in the top 100 purchased books! They have it selling for £10.40! :D Awwwwwwww SO tempting!!!!

Thanks to this thread I've gotten this book 2 days ago. I'm supposed to start my _Cryptonomicon_, but I made the mistake of reading a couple of pages. Now it's a 'just one more page and I'll go to Crypto...'.

Quickie for those who've read it: i'm seeing words like 'surprized', 'scissars', 'chusing' (!). Am I seeing this right? The book I got is the Paperback Bloomsbury.

ds

direstraits said:
Quickie for those who've read it: i'm seeing words like 'surprized', 'scissars', 'chusing' (!). Am I seeing this right? The book I got is the Paperback Bloomsbury.

ds

Yepper, those are archaic spellings. If you've read any Jane Austen, some of the editions retain these as well.

Okay. I read this thread and when I saw it at the library, I knew I had to check it out. So it is in the pile by my bed, under Foucault's Pendulum, waiting it's turn.

Martin said:
I just know that's gonna annoy me.

Cheers

It shouldn't bother you too much. It's sprinkled throughout, but not an every page occurrence.

For those interested, you can check out JonathanStrange.com.
It has a discussion area and FAQ.

RaVeN

SillyWabbit said:
I'll wait until ( IF ) it comes out in paperback format!

I don't know if this is old news, but you can buy the paperback version in Taiwan NOW, so I'm surprised if you can't get it in jolly ol' England...

I very nearly purchased a copy yesterday, but 'Ghostwritten' compelled me more...

Ou Be Low hoo said:
I don't know if this is old news, but you can buy the paperback version in Taiwan NOW, so I'm surprised if you can't get it in jolly ol' England...

Unfortunately, that's not how it works. They delay the paperbacks here (in the US) sometimes for years, depending on how the hardcover is selling.

I started it a while ago and got about 100 pages through it and I'm struggling a bit, finding it a tad bit boring/I find her prose style a bit bloated.

Would you recommend I persevere? - or if I'm not hooked by now am I wasting my time?

Thanks

Mark

mgarratty said:
Would you recommend I persevere? - or if I'm not hooked by now am I wasting my time?

Hello Mark, and welcome.

Have you reached the spot where the character of J.Strange is introduced yet? If not, you may want to read on a bit more. But if you have and are still not enjoying it, I say chuck the thing.

I enjoyed it very much (as I've posted numerous times) but why spend the time on a book if you're not getting anything from it?

RaVeN

RaVen - thanks for the welcome.

I haven't got to the bit where J Strange is introduced yet so I will read a bit more (as you suggested) and see if I get into it a bit more. (It's quite an expensive book to put on the shelf un-read).

I'll reply again when I've read another hundred pages or so.

Mark

I've just come back off holiday and noticed that the airport shops are selling paperback versions on the book. Though they are cheaper than the hardback they are not as cheap as a normal paperback.

Mark

Airport shops are the biggest rip-off! :eek: They jack up the prices of stuff because so many people forgot to buy a souvenir on holiday so they grab something at the last minute at the airport before the catch their plane home. Same thing with some business traveller that needs something to read on his/her flight. :rolleyes:

Back