• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Take me out for "special" local food

My favorite thing up here is in the fall, there is a cider mill close to me that has an apple festival. They have apple everything, pies, fritters, cakes, applebutter, they also have carmel dipped marshmellows and of course cider hot or cold, apple, cherry, raspberry and blackberry. It's a small local mill so everything has a home made feel and the whole experience is fun. They have a corn maze, music, pumpkin patch, hay rides, animals of all kinds and bobbing for apples. We love it, eat and drink all day when we go.

Ronny said:
My favorite thing up here is in the fall, there is a cider mill close to me that has an apple festival. They have apple everything, pies, fritters, cakes, applebutter, they also have carmel dipped marshmellows and of course cider hot or cold, apple, cherry, raspberry and blackberry. It's a small local mill so everything has a home made feel and the whole experience is fun. They have a corn maze, music, pumpkin patch, hay rides, animals of all kinds and bobbing for apples. We love it, eat and drink all day when we go.
caramel dipped marshmallows?!?!?
I, the caramel freak, am so jealous!!!

Ronny said:
I do think caramel has to be one of the best treats ever.
YES!!!! But it has to be soft, homemade kind, not those hard cubes you buy in the store. There is a small ice-creamery, Blue Bell, that makes all these neat flavors as well as the traditional ones, and my absolute favorite is........
hold on to your pants.....
TRIPLE CARAMEL- caramel flavored ice cream with caramel swirl, and chocolate covered caramel bits mixed in, too. :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :D :D

YES!!!! But it has to be soft, homemade kind, not those hard cubes you buy in the store. There is a small ice-creamery, Blue Bell, that makes all these neat flavors as well as the traditional ones, and my absolute favorite is........

STOP IN THE NAME OF LOVE! I'm on a diet! :eek:

Just kidding. ;) I enjoy reading about it, even if I can't partake.

*sulks away*

Triple Caramel Ice Cream!!!! I could get seriously hooked, do they have a program for that? I already have a problem with Starbucks' Caramel Frappacino, they are to good to give up.

Haha, yup, I think if I had a Starbucks at my disposal, I'd be hooked on caramel frappachino's too. Dairy Queen has something like it that I am afraid to try, Caramel Moo-Latte. I fear that if I have just one, I'll be a goner!!!

I must say, that if I had to leave Australia and couldn't have my Vegemite, I might go a little cuh-razy!!I've had friends have it sent over to them whilst holidaying. Ooooh!!!! and pavlova!!!!

Speaking of deep-frying, my flatmates and I tried some Tim-Tams the other night. We nearly wrecked the fryer but man......

Also, you can't go past the old coffee through a Tim-Tam....that is heaven!!!

I'm going to search our house for T-T's now.... :)

Amy_1984 said:
I must say, that if I had to leave Australia and couldn't have my Vegemite, I might go a little cuh-razy!!I've had friends have it sent over to them whilst holidaying. Ooooh!!!! and pavlova!!!!

Speaking of deep-frying, my flatmates and I tried some Tim-Tams the other night. We nearly wrecked the fryer but man......

Also, you can't go past the old coffee through a Tim-Tam....that is heaven!!!

I'm going to search our house for T-T's now.... :)

vegemite. marmite. yikes. my friend karita from nz loved that stuff. she was always trying to get us to eat it.

what is a tim-tam?
and i love pavlova. it is sooooo tasty. too tasty.

I thought of something that's not local, but it's not so well known around here. Nutella. Have you guys ever tried this stuff? Wow. You put it on bread, and presto, you've got cake. Put on crackers. Presto! It's a cookie. The stuff is amazing. I had never tried until last year when a coworker let me try it. He picked it up from his brother-in-law who picked some up in Italy, but you can get it just about anywhere. I got mine at Kroger.

There are two big garlic-producing areas in the States--Gilroy, California, and the Hudson Valley. There's a big garlic festival and lots of local specialties.

The most intriguing and best by far is garlic fudge.

Garlic Fudge

4 Tbls. butter
6 cloves garlic
1 cup evaporated milk
2 cups sugar
a pinch of salt

Cook all ingredients together until sugar dissolves.Remove garlic and bring to a rolling boil until soft-ball stage. Remove from heat. Stand 5 minutes. Beat until stiff and pour onto greased cookie sheet. Cut into squares. Store in air tight container.

For breakfast I'd take you for a traditional Lancashire hotpot at the bakers down the road, washed down with a bottle of Lancashire Brown Ale. Then we might take our chances and hop over the border to Halo-land - for some Yorkshire puds. Then back over the border down to my local curry spot, for never ending poppadoms and the best curry I've ever tasted, all lovingly prepared by my chum Asif.

novella said:
There are two big garlic-producing areas in the States--Gilroy, California, and the Hudson Valley. There's a big garlic festival and lots of local specialties.

The most intriguing and best by far is garlic fudge.

Garlic Fudge

4 Tbls. butter
6 cloves garlic
1 cup evaporated milk
2 cups sugar
a pinch of salt

Cook all ingredients together until sugar dissolves.Remove garlic and bring to a rolling boil until soft-ball stage. Remove from heat. Stand 5 minutes. Beat until stiff and pour onto greased cookie sheet. Cut into squares. Store in air tight container.

is this good really? i am having a hard time mentally tasting this.

jenngorham said:
what is a tim-tam?
and i love pavlova. it is sooooo tasty. too tasty.

Tim-Tams are chocolate biscuits with a creamy centre.

images

and here is the infamous Tim-Tam slam:

GoingDownTimTam.JPG

Ppl overseas, if you can manage to buy any I strongly suggest the slam.

Bobby - you'd better not be knocking the Tim Tam Slam, my friend!

I'm just going to add a bit of an explanation to Amy's picture. You bite off the diagonal corners of the biscuit, stick one corner in a cup of hot chocolate, and suck the liquid up it. The biscuit melts pretty soon afterwards, so before this happens, you shove the whole thing in your mouth where it collapses in on itself in a big, gooey, chocolatey mess.

Btw, for those of you in the UK - Tim Tams are very similar to the Penguin biscuit, but the Tim Tams are far superior IMHO. You can't get a Penguin to melt in quite the same way as a Tim Tam, and it doesn't have the same porosity to allow the hot chocolate to be sucked up through it as easily. Trust me, when I lived in Scotland I was momentarily excited by the prospect of a similar experience, and was then somewhat disappointed. Even so, they're not a bad stand in.

Amy - my parents send me Australian food in 'care packages' every couple of months. They often include Tim Tams, Vegemite (although they sell it in Canada too if you look in the right places - health food stores, would you believe!), Burger Rings, Milo (I'm nearly out right now!!), Musk flavoured Life Savers (they don't know this flavour here, it's weird), REAL Cadbury's Chocolate (it tastes different in North America, thicker and less milky :( ), amongst other things. It's a shame they can't send ice cream through the mail, because the selection of ice creams on a stick here (ie: like Peters or Streets) is fairly small.

Other things I miss include: chinese dim sims and meat pies readily available (pie warmers - ooooh!) and cheddar cheese - it tastes kinda rubbery here, I find.

Kookamoor said:
Musk flavoured Life Savers (they don't know this flavour here, it's weird), .

i had this gum in japan and became addicted and of course i can't find it here. i've looked in oriental shops but alas.... :(

Back