• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tattoos and Piercings

i have a small daisy on my lower back that i got about 10 years ago. the stem and leaves shape a J. i'll always love it because my name starts with a J and daisies are one of my favorite flowers. it's timeless.

I have one hole in each ear. I'm not a fan of tattoos, though I think small ones done well can be cute. Belly button piercings are fine, but the eye brow piercings make me want to gag. I think its because they look so painful.

I would never get a tattoo due to the pain and the fact that I would not want to commit to something that permanent being on my body. I agree with the looking icky at 80..not a pleasant thought. No more piercings for me, either. I enjoy my earrings, though I normally just wear small hoops, but anything more would be too much. (and have I mentioned that needles make me pass out...so getting a tattoo or any piercings really would be an ordeal).

No piercings or tattoos myself, but my girlfriend has a few piercings, which I don't mind one bit! :D

Don't worry, nothin indecent - besides the ears she's got her nose and her belly-button pierced. Tres sexy, that!

Cheers, Martin

If it helps, Raven, I have to say that I am definitely in your neck of the woods on this topic. Few things sadden me as much as seeing an otherwise very pretty girl who has turned her face into something resembling the grill of a '57 Buick. But then, I tend to be rather turned off by any woman who is that wrapped up in her appearance (whether she's going the makeup route or US Steel).
Maybe it's something about ponytails which changes the way a fella looks at the world.
Having said that, though, I have to admit to having dated girls with both piercings (ears and the occasional eyebrow) and tattoos. The tats depend a lot on location, size, and originality (lilies, roses, and tracery in the small of the back need not apply).

And, before you ask, I also hate to see men wearing jewellry of any kind unless they are married and it is their wedding band.

RaVeN said:
I had my ear pierced over 20 years ago. When everyone else started doing it, I stopped.

Okay, here's where I'm going to get blasted. :D

I can't stand to see any of that crap on a woman. To each their own and all, but nothing turns me off more than seeing what some people do to their bodies.

Hell, too much makeup even turns me off (and I hate when I smear my lipstick :eek: )

That said, maybe I'll wake up tomorrow and decide to get my balls welded together. I hear Litany's running a special this week.

RaVeN

Definately in agreement with everything said by Raven. I've never liked tattoo's except for the rare, and I mean RARE occasion when it actually is creative or tasteful. (Jenem your case seems like it might be one that is.) But for the most part I can't stand seeing a girl with them and am immediately turned off by it. As far as piercings, ears and bellybutton are fine but once you move into the eyebrows and nose it just gives me more things that I have the strange impulse to grab hold of and tear out. The ears can even get excessive when you start being able to hang small coats from their ears.
Also, I've dated enough moronic cheerleaders to become weary of girls that wear a lot of makeup. Just indicates to much focus on self appearance, in a popular culture way. There are many ways that girls may make themselves more attractive, remodeling their face or body so that it is not actually reality is NOT one of them!
Although, I wouldn't worry too much girls, to be a conformist you have to be conforming to something. (In which case it is usually popular if people are conforming to it.) So, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who find it "sexy" :confused: , I just don't happen to be one of them.

I have a tattoo. It is a small ladybug on my foot that can only be seen with certain shoes. Quite frankly -- l love it. I've had it for about 5 years.

If you saw my manner of dress and style, it would probably surprise you that I have one. I am pretty much the stereotypical business professional. Most of my day is spent with stuffed shirts...I like having a bit of rebellion that I get to keep to myself. If it is a trendy thing, its one I am still happy about. And for those who don't like women with tattoos, I suppose that it is just that very reason and my independent and defiant nature that drove me to get it.

On the other hand, I don't like seeing metal things hanging out of peoples faces -- especially if they are serving me food. I'm not sure why that bugs me, but it does. I know, it is just my opinion and I must be getting old for thinking that way.

Cin said:
And for those who don't like women with tattoos, I suppose that it is just that very reason and my independent and defiant nature that drove me to get it.

The problem with that is being defiant anymore has become "cool". Therefore, in most cases in today's world, (western anyway) being defiant isn't actually being rebelious. It's just doing what everyone else says is rebelious so that you can be rebelious. Lol, it is quite amusing how it has turned back on itself. In any case, tatoos are hardly independent and defiant anymore. Being clean cut anymore has almost become more defiant than those things because it is seen as being bad, as opposed to popular.

:confused:

RaVeN said:
Have you ever listened to the old Harry Chapin song, Cats in the Cradle?

Only know the Ugly Kid Joe version I'm afraid.

I don't have any tattoos. I was contemplating getting one, but it's a very definite adjustment to your looks and it's too two-dimensional to my liking. People will probably think I'm crazy, but I think some kinds of scarification can actually be pretty nice. It's the same as tattoos, really; you have to keep it sober and it has to have some kind of meaning or something, but there's no ink involved, and I like that idea. Only it's painful, and, again, definite. So I'll probably never have it done.

I do have piercings though: labret and 8mm holes through both ears. That's it for me. They'll come out one day and the holes'll close up, and that'll be that.

And peer pressure? No, that's definitely not the case. I'd been dreaming of a labret piercing since I was 14 and got it 4 years later. It's one thing I definitely did for me, not for someone else.

I've got two holes in each ear and only had them to wind my mother up (I was young and rebellious at the time :rolleyes: )

True@1stLight said:
The problem with that is being defiant anymore has become "cool". Therefore, in most cases in today's world, (western anyway) being defiant isn't actually being rebelious. It's just doing what everyone else says is rebelious so that you can be rebelious. Lol, it is quite amusing how it has turned back on itself. In any case, tatoos are hardly independent and defiant anymore. Being clean cut anymore has almost become more defiant than those things because it is seen as being bad, as opposed to popular.

:confused:

Hmmm....I think sometimes people on this board forget that there is a wide range of ages participating. with very different lifestyles. Way past for me are the days of going to a classroom everyday. What you consider cool is not what I consider cool. What you call rebellion, is different from what I call rebellion. I wear a business suit to work everyday, if I go without nylons, I am walking the line. :D

Seriously, I don't think I said my tattoo itself was independent and defiant. I think I said something to the effect that it was my "independent and defiant nature" which lead me to go against the grain. I don't feel the need to elaborate, but for me, for my time and situation....getting my tattoo was still somewhat of a rebellious thing to do. End of story. :)

I totally agree with you, Cin.

It's a very personal matter - what one finds rebelious someone else will find run-of-the-mill. It's how you were raised, the environment you live it, your job, all that.

As for tattoo's, I like 'em. Not for myself, mind - in my opinion you must be a bulky, muscular guy or an attractive girl to get a tattoo that doesn't look completely out of place - I am neither. Then again, were my girlfriend to get one, hallelujah! I'm there! A small tribal on her lower back, or something (very cliche, everybody has one of those, I know, but still - Wow!).

Too bad she doesnt want one. :( The piercings will have to do.

Cheers, Martin

i think there is a lot of misconception about the reason people get tattoos or piercings. sure a lot of dopes get them for the attention, but most people don't get them to be sexy, cool or different. at least not the people i know. many people get them because it's a personal message that is dear to them, or they want to personalize their bodies in a way that's their own. your body is essentially designed by your parents, many people like to add things that are their own. sure the drawback is how atrocious it can look - but that is a matter of opinion, of course. not really any different than the stupid looking clothes some people wear, the terrible make-up plastered on faces, bad hairdos etc. everyone "customizes" themselves to a degree.

also, the kinds of people that pierced and tattoed people gravitate towards usually find that sort of stuff appealing. much the same as they find plainness unappealing.

i don't find piercings particularly attractive, nor do i like heavy tattoos all over the place. but what a boring world it would be if we were all the same.

but most people don't get them to be sexy, cool or different.
I think lately they do. The new trend of pierced bellybuttons, and tattoo's in 'seductive' places is because they want to be sexy or cool. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Cheers, Martin

i don't know, it was more popular a few years back. that seemed to be the time it was "cool". the grunge days of seattle. or maybe that's what started it up again. but, really, how do any of us know why people get their tattoos? just because it's big and visible doesn't mean it's to be sexy etc.

i think the only people who could tell you what's up in that regard are the doctors who remove tattoos. they'd know

Martin said:
A small tribal on her lower back, or something (very cliche, everybody has one of those, I know, but still - Wow!).

I am that very cliche :p Belly pierced and tribal effort on lower back. I know everyone does it, and my only defence is I really did get it before it was quite so fashionable... :D

I'm shocked at the people who cite 'looking bad when you're 80' as a valid reaosn not to get a tattoo. What if you don't live til you're 80?! What a waste! Get tattoos!

Anyone of the tattooed got any pics they'd like to share? I wish I had one of mine but, well, I don't :)

Freya said:
I'm shocked at the people who cite 'looking bad when you're 80' as a valid reaosn not to get a tattoo. What if you don't live til you're 80?! What a waste! Get tattoos!

totally- if people worried about half the problems they're gonna have when they're 80 you'd think they'd be doing a whole lot more than not-tattooing. the look of a tattoo is the last thing you need to be worrying about at 80.

Then how about when you're 40 or 50 and the things you thought were cool when you were in your 20s seem a little sad and dated. Let's look back to the 80s. Bad clothes, worse hair. But the thing about a terrible perm is that it grows out. I used to have pink hair. I thought it was great, but now, I don't want to have pink hair. Great thing about hair is that you can dye it back, or let it grow out. But with a tattoo that just isn't going to happen.

Clothes and hair and makeup can all be changed. Even piercings aren't so permanent, you can just take the earring/nose ring/whatever ring out. But that tattoo is there forever, unless you want laser surgery to remove it. And then only if it's small. And the very fact that you can get laser surgery to remove them would suggest there's an awful lot of people with regrets.

And given the increase in longevity of the average person thinking forward isn't a waste of time at all. So I'll save my tattoo money for my pension. :)

that is so true, i got a burner, its a tatoo like way to have a almost permanent tatoo. its where you burn in the shape or w/e you desire on your skin, i had a smiley face done. but now, i can barely even see it. im glad i never got a tatoo, cause this smiley thing i have is now to me an anoyance, i wish i never did it. itsstupid cause it looks like a bruise.

Back