• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Tattoos and Piercings

I agree kind of... if you just decided to nip out and get 'I love Girls Aloud' tattooed on your arm, its a bit stupid. But if you take time (I'd been collecting patterns and designing them for about 5 years) and are sensible about where you put it (I don't think I'd ever get one that couldn't be covered up if need be) then I think you're on the right track to getting a beautiful, lasting piece of artwork you can be proud of.

I can't remember who said they had one on their foot - but whoever it was - whereabouts on the foot? Kind of on the ankle? It must have hurt wherever :) I want one on my foot, but I'm still deciding what.

see my lil burn thing is on my boob, so nobody sees it.
i put it there so nobody would notice it, but isnt a tatoo the whole point of being noticed?

Jenem said:
i don't find piercings particularly attractive, nor do i like heavy tattoos all over the place. but what a boring world it would be if we were all the same.

I just think it's sad that people are so quick to try and be unique physically while so willing to be a lemming mentally where it matters.

Just my view, but I would prefer an intellectually unique person over one who tries to show others they are different by getting something that can be seen.

It's not that I don't like tattoo's themselves, it's as always just the social conformity invovled and the reasons for it. As I said if people actually have good reasons that are creative and unique to them for it, by all means I applaud you.

I tend to agree with Litany in the matter of why people get them, and how they feel once the stigma has worn off however.

people can be lemmings no matter how they look. tattoos have nothing to do with it. i think the drones referred to are the smaller scope of people who get stuff done and shouldn't really be a consideration when you think about people with tattoos. at least, i don’t know many of them and i know lots of tattooed individuals (stress on individuals).

everything short of hacking your own limbs off could be called social conformity nowadays - it all depends on where you are. again, how do any of us really know why people get their tattoos/piercings etc? did someone do a poll that i didn't hear about?

it's one thing to find it unattractive, but to assess one's mentality because of it is unfair and outdated. i know no one here means to generalize everyone with a tattoo as being a freak or lemming, but if it's the first thing to come to mind when you think of tattoos, that's also unfair and outdated.

as for how you feel about it at 40 or 50, who cares? you did it to yourself and you have to deal with it. cover it or have it removed, they're not permanent anymore. anyone who gets a tattoo for what is being considered as the "right" reason will have thought it out well enough to make it timeless and meaningful. most people should be well aware of the "no names" concept.

i'm more offended by fat old men wearing speedos on the beach than i am by a tattooed old goat.

Doesn't it make more sense (not to mention cost effectiveneness) for the more fical and whimsical among us to just use "Magic markers"?

:p :p

sure does! someone should market 2 year ink. that would help out a lot. oh - did i just make someone a million bucks?

Has anyone actually had one of those 3 yr tattoos? I've yet to see one, I'd like to see how they look when they're fading.

Jenem said:
as for how you feel about it at 40 or 50, who cares?

Going by my own personal experience, quite a few people. I know many people who got tattoos when they were young, and really regretted it when they were older. And they don't all have names scribbled on their bodies either. I know one girl who regretted it 10 minutes after having it done and she'd wanted one for years. I don't know how I will have changed in 20 years time, so I'm certainly not going to be flippant with my skin now.

And I'm not saying that I'm offended by other people who have tattoos and wrinkly skin, this is my own personal opinion about how it would look on me and to me.

Jenem said:
everything short of hacking your own limbs off could be called social conformity nowadays - it all depends on where you are.

You can flip that too though. Everything can be called rebellious and unique too. It does depend on who you are which is why i said there are cases where it seems perfectly creative. Wasn't attacking anyone in particular, just a personal preference. If I happen to actually find a girl worthwhile I could care less whether she had a tattoo or not. Just stating the general impression of them.

ON the other hand, Magic markers omg so hot!! And CRAYOLA!! *drools* ... :D

Jenem I used to live in Vancouver, I went back to vist last year. I still have fond memories of North Van, and West Van, Breadgardens open all night and the terrible traffic on the Lions Gate , and of course Stanley park.....

Anyway, to bring this thread back on track, I guess alot of the tatoo-infested and pierced hang out around Granville and near Kingsgate (Hells Gate) Mall? :p

im more offended by people who use profanity way too much. than a person with alot of tatoos, cause cussing is a peace disturbance.
oh and has anyone had an air tatoo, i got one once they are spray ons, they last just a lil while. no that is a good idea, cause they look real but htey wont haunt your forever.

lahondas said:
im more offended by people who use profanity way too much. than a person with alot of tatoos, cause cussing is a peace disturbance.

But swearing is fun. Besides, maybe they have Tourettes.

I don't mind a bit of "Cussing" I think used in moderation and used effectively, it can show passion and free spirit in a world of conformity....

lahondas said:

I'm not really offended by either. The first impression from profanity is a lack of vocabularity though that's for sure.

Marquis Rex said:
Jenem I used to live in Vancouver, I went back to vist last year. I still have fond memories of North Van, and West Van, Breadgardens open all night and the terrible traffic on the Lions Gate , and of course Stanley park.....

Anyway, to bring this thread back on track, I guess alot of the tatoo-infested and pierced hang out around Granville and near Kingsgate (Hells Gate) Mall? :p

Yes, Vancouver is great. Expensive as heck, but I wouldn't live anywhere else.

LOL - I don't know where tattoo-infested people hang out. :) There are lots on Granville, certainly people with more visible ones over there anyway. I live in one of the stuffy suburbs. Tsawwassen. The beach community. I've lived pretty much everywhere around here, though.

lahondas said:

i agree with you, Lahondas. swearing is disrespectful to those around you, i don't care how anyone puts it. it's rude. you put a cuss in a visible tattoo, it's just as rude :p

Back