• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

TBF: Moderation Issues

By the way for all the mods that may or may not read this:

Darren started this thread: clickety here

We as a forum voted, yet the mods defied the vote.

So how is it the mods are acting on Darren's behalf if he startes the thread but the mods end it?

(Also, the moderators decided that a "Hall of Shame" was in no-one's interest, so decided not to implement it.)

Why would Darren start this if he was not open to having it around?

StillILearn said:
I have no idea of how 'moderation' works, but can we agree that we all have the best interests of TBF at heart?

Moderation should be:
  • Correcting thread titles to better aid the forum's search engine;
  • Moving threads to the correct areas;
  • Splitting threads that go off topic into two or more on topic threads;
  • Helping less experienced members with the forum's software;
  • Encouraging discussion, especially when it ebbs, so that the forum always appears lively.
Who are the mods anyhow? I know of Halo, Wabbit, and Ice.

Halo, Wabbit, Ice, and mehastings. The latter is rarely here due to personal circumstances which are more important than names on a screen. Ice is the nice one. ;)

And just who is this Darren fellow?
Darren Lewis is the administrator of this forum, having set it up about four years ago. And then, a couple of years ago, turning it into a registered business for tax issues due to the earnings from advertising.

Why would someone want to own a book forum and not visit it?
Most likely because in four years you can get bored of older projects.

Toadal said:
The thing is, you shouldn't have to. It's a sign of laziness on the part of those that run the forum that it's down to the users to do everything.

If things slow down a bit, it should be theose in charge that come up with some interesting titbits to get things moving again. It's part of the challenge of running a website. Sitting back and letting people struggle isn't the way forward at all.

Would just like to point out that Wabbit's total of 7,924 posts isn't exactly what you'd call a sign of laziness or sitting back.

Actually this is the sort of grouching and back-stabbing that made me lose interest.

nighthawk said:
Would just like to point out that Wabbit's total of 7,924 posts isn't exactly what you'd call a sign of laziness or sitting back.

I think Toadal is pointing to a different kind of moderating. Yes, it's nice to say hi to every new member. But what about merging every new Salinger thread into an overall existing Salinger thread, along with a polite paragraph on why you're doing it? How about marshalling all the stray comments on Stephen King or Arthur Golden into one thread? Those things do take work, I know, but I do believe that is what Toadal is referring to.

nighthawk said:

Agreed. And the other mods haven't been exactly MIA either. I bet they're all wishing they'd taken up cat herding instead of moderating right about now:rolleyes:

ahhh....number of posts and doing the job of moderating are not one and the same.

I'd be willing to bet many 1000's of those posts by wabbit are more spamified than anything most have seen here in quite some time.

Just remember how many posts Martin had too.

And me for that matter...and I'm not a mod.

Post count does not reflect on how a mod does their job.

Ok, I'm still a bit confused about this whole thing - why are you people nervous about being banned or suspended? Do you mean to say that it's really easy getting banned? What is the actual limit on freedom of speech around here in your opinion? You're making me nervous too, dudes!! ;)

pink shadow said:
Ok, I'm still a bit confused about this whole thing - why are you people nervous about being banned or suspended? Do you mean to say that it's really easy getting banned? What is the actual limit on freedom of speech around here in your opinion? You're making me nervous too, dudes!! ;)

The few people who've been banned from TBF would habitually use really crass language and personally insult others, over and over. So, if you insist on doing that, sure, it's easy to get banned. Other forums might tolerate a bit more of that, but I don't really know.

The censorship, as is, is more along the lines of peer review comments like "better not talk about that, it's against the rules" and closed threads. The idea of 'self-policing' is a bit out of control in the TBF culture, IMO. It sort of feels like fourth grade, where the guy sitting next to you is going to tattle if you pass a note or read a comic. Personally, I've cut down on visiting this site and participating because I want to read my comic and pass my notes without getting trouble with the big mean teacher.

pink shadow said:

No need to worry pink, here's what the membership agreement spells out:

2.8 The Book Forum operates a "three-strikes" policy. Unfortunately, in an online community of our size, there will ocassionally be the need for the site administrators to take action against a member for continued non-compliance with the rules and guidelines of this site. "Three Strikes & You’re Out" simply means that you are given three "chances" before your account is disabled. Two official warnings will come from site moderators, and will state the offense and ask politely that you adhere to site guidelines. The third note will be from the site admininstrator and will result in a permanent, irreversible ban from the site.

What all the fuss is about has more to do with how threads and posts are moderated, locked, and/or deleted, and who is making the calls on those decisions.

I agee with the majority of people who have posted on this board - I think that the moderation going on around here is far too harsh.

What really, really irked me was the fact that people voted overwhelmingly in favour of a Hall of Shame, and yet the mods decided that it "was in no-one's interest". I think that 30 votes to 5 speaks differently - why would Darren have even started the thread if he didn't think that it was a good idea himself? This is one instance where the power trip is just going too far - Darren introduced this idea as something that the members themselves could decide to impliment, and yet the mods just decided to overrule that decision? I frankly don't think that they had the right to do that. But that's just me.

Another example of the policing going to far is when threads get closed because they are getting "too heated". As far as I know, getting heated isn't against forum rules, and should therefore not induce any punishments. Quite frankly, I'm sick of being punished (threads being closed, posts deleted) when I havn't broken any rules. The fact that rules may possibly be broken in the future is no reason to shut down a thread - there is always going to be that possibility! TBF is made up of intelligent people - most know how to enter a heated debate and still keep themselves in check, and I wish that the mods could recognise this rather than blindly closing threads.

Sorry to rant, but this has been on my mind for a long time. Great thread, Moto (as usual...)

Motokid said:
Post count does not reflect on how a mod does their job.
And post count does not reflect the quality of the post either. :)

pink shadow said:
no, it is not easy getting banned. IMHO the mods do a pretty good job.

MonkeyCatcher said:
Great thread, Moto (as usual...)

Yes, it's a great thread, but StillILearn is the originator.....not me.

edit: and for what it's worth, I emailed Darren asking him to please come and read this thread. I provided the link to this thread.
I hope he comes and reads this thread and comments and accepts questions in a free and open manner.

Motokid said:
Yes, it's a great thread, but StillILearn is the originator.....not me.

edit: and for what it's worth, I emailed Darren asking him to please come and read this thread. I provided the link to this thread.
I hope he comes and reads this thread and comments and accepts questions in a free and open manner.

I was just agreeing with you Moto, but in a "I'm-right-here-behind-you" kind of a way after your thread was closed.. :)

I sure hope Darren shows up in order to talk to us too.

Wabbit said:
There isnt a need to create a thread.

I hope that over 70 posts past this statement provides some light as to why so many of us get upset when threads get locked.

There's never just a simple answer. There's always room for more, and open discussion. All done in calm, and with respect too I might add.

Oh yes, let's turn this thread into ME!

Well I'm just fine and dandy. Although, well, if you're asking, and this is general chat and all, in the past two weeks I've had a horrendous tooth infection, had a day off work sick, managed to book my flights home from Spain wrong and cost myself a fortune, lost the capability of speaking in proper English, my car's battery died and I missed my dragon knitting deadline. That aside, you know. Just popping in to check on a few reviews from way back when. Had some time to spare, thought I'd indulge myself in a few GC threads.

Indulge away. As you can see not much has changed....:rolleyes:

Hope you stick around. If I'm part of what's been keeping you away you'll be glad to know that aside from today, and this thread, I've pretty much started flying under the radar and practicing the fine art of hiding iin other places...

Enjoy your trip through parts well known and relatively unchanged.

Back