• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

TBF: Moderation Issues

ruby said:
Maybe just maybe Wabbit has a life outside the forum walls

He certainly does or he would be madder than a mad hatter.

Sorry I have been away and I will be away today too. I just popped on ( mad fool that I am ) to do a little this and that. Sorry, I haven't had the time to read this thread so I don't know what is being said although I note the usual faces here along with a few old faces ( you know who you are ;) )

There seems to be a ghost post (by Wabbit at 5:43 am today) that appears in the index but not here:

X marks the spot.

My luck it will now appear. :(
peder

Edit: It did. Fuhgeddaboudit!

If this all boils down to a single person, then it all boils down to Darren not a specific mod. The buck ultimately stops at the top.

Unless the mods are shooting from the hip without the approval of Darren who seems to be completely absent. But what seems to be, and what is, are two different things which is why it sure would be nice for Darren to pop in and conversate.

Along those lines, a friend reminded me that revisiting this thread might be a good thing right about now. That idea that locking threads and deleting posts is done to protect, and help the forum is in question when apparently most of the forum is against censorship, and based on the above link, very difficult to offend.

The thing that's funniest to me is in the last 6 months or so the biggest issues have been the threads and posts that are 100% silly/fun and basically meaningless to a specific group of the membership.

People are not getting all in a huff over serious stuff. They are not rebelling against some "almost political/religious" topic. They seem to have a big issue with a thread that wanders into meaningless chit-chat.

My right to life-right to die thread went on for well over 100 posts, yet one angered member got completely bent over the spoiler tag thread and the sillyness that ensued there.

nighthawk said:
I agree Ruby. What gets me is that every now and again there has to be these 'witch hunts' some people just have to make a very big issue out of things. It was done with Martin , and Sitram and now Wabbit is the bad guy. Hey Novella you want to apply for Chief Moderator? Why can't you guys play nicely, talk without malice. These people are doing the best they can. Do your part to behave what's the problem here? Read books, talk about them if you want - look for new titles.
Stop bitching - give the guy a break.

I honestly don't see the reason for this. I'm not attacking anybody, especially not Wabbit. I do refer in previous posts to the moderation of the board in general, as other members are. I think that's what this thread is about. The comment about Cheney and wabbits was a JOKE (Elmer Fudd . . hello?), which I hope Wabbit understands. Lighten up.

Also, as you will see if you review my posts, I contribute short reviews on books regularly and also offer opinions on other books in other threads. These tend to be more than oneliners (I so dearly wish other members would offer a little more than 'this is really good'). My participation here is exactly what I would hope to get from others--and always has been. What's the problem?

BTW, I commend whomever changed the title of this thread to more accurately reflect the content.

I also think it's very important for people like nighthawk and wabbit to understand that the intention of threads like this is ultimately designed to make the forum a better place for all who desire to come here.

If you want to improve the look of a room in your house by painting it you first have to smooth over some rough spits and patch some holes. Maybe a bit of scraping and sanding. Some primer....

The people here who would like to see some changes are trying to invest in the overall quality of the forum.

The cry from Ell to make the boards what you want (and I've said it numerous times too) is very difficult to do when threads are locked and discussion is abruptly cut-off.

th_popcorn.gif

Well, as has been pointed out, this may be a little ‘Groundhog Day’ but with the notable exception of the various Nabakov discussions, this is the most interesting and lively thread we’ve had on TBF for some time. Some good points have been made, some of which I think deserve repeating, and I’ll do just that as I point out where I stand in all this.

I don’t have a problem with previous bans, as from what I remember the people involved, whilst entertaining at times, had been given plenty of prior warnings and knew exactly what they were doing when they overstepped the mark. I think Novella sums it up well here:

novella said:
The few people who've been banned from TBF would habitually use really crass language and personally insult others, over and over. So, if you insist on doing that, sure, it's easy to get banned. Other forums might tolerate a bit more of that, but I don't really know

Some of these people are missed by a fair number of long standing posters. Fine, but you have to except that if you want these people back you have pretty much lost the right to criticize the mods for inconsistency.

The issue on inconsistency itself is a hard one to comment on as in some case it seems to be mixed up in personal animosity between members and mods, or at least perceived animosity.

Personally I’d like the mods, who I think we all except do a difficult job, to concentrate more on the positive than the negative. I agree with what’s being said here:

seanwrightfan said:
… you have to have one person in charge, who can direct the forum and keep it running along the lines on which it was originally set up.

and here:

toadal said:
If things slow down a bit, it should be theose in charge that come up with some interesting titbits to get things moving again. It's part of the challenge of running a website. Sitting back and letting people struggle isn't the way forward at all.

when things stall, then those running the forum have a responsibility to pitch in with stuff to keep the momentum up

I think Stewart sums it up well:

Stewart said:
Moderation should be:
• Correcting thread titles to better aid the forum's search engine;
• Moving threads to the correct areas;
• Splitting threads that go off topic into two or more on topic threads;
• Helping less experienced members with the forum's software;
• Encouraging discussion, especially when it ebbs, so that the forum always appears lively.
It’s the locking of threads and don’t talk about so-and-so that really gets on my tits and not just me it seems:
novella said:
The censorship, as is, is more along the lines of peer review comments like "better not talk about that, it's against the rules" and closed threads. The idea of 'self-policing' is a bit out of control in the TBF culture, IMO. It sort of feels like fourth grade, where the guy sitting next to you is going to tattle if you pass a note or read a comic. Personally, I've cut down on visiting this site and participating because I want to read my comic and pass my notes without getting trouble with the big mean teacher.
MotoKid said:
I think what TBF has evolved into, in my humble opinion, is a very stale, very un-creative, very predictable environment that has a way of alienating its own members over time, and eventually losing them to boredom and frustration.

StillILearn said:
… some kids just got a little bit carried away and a few more got mean-spirited, and then things got out of hand and some folks got banned and now the rest of us are being looked at with a sceptical, jaundiced, or baleful eye.

I’d personally like to see the ban on politics loosened, and people trusted for longer before the wheel clampers come in. It seems strange that this ban exists and yet I talk to Sergo about politics in his Introduction thread all the time, and have done for almost a year without a word from the mods. Perhaps that’s because it’s tucked away in a corner, or because we mostly agree on things so arguments don’t flare up. But for whatever reason, politics isn’t quite as banned as some people seem to think.

Anyway, as I said the closing of threads has been getting on my wick of late, and as we have to accept 'the rules we signed up for' I’m going to retire to Sergo’s thread again, the one place I seem to be able to speak my mind…

Oh, but before I go, one last thing; I don’t think I can let this slip without a right to reply:

toadal said:
Comparing the Palimp and TBF is like comparing James Joyce to Dan Brown, they're just different beasts altogether.

I’ve had a look round Palimpset and it’s a good board; well run, focused, and with a reasonable level of discussion. However, that doesn’t make it immune from the problems that all book boards suffer from. I don’t see the range of books discussed there being any wider than TBF, just a slightly different set, of arguably more literary works. But ninety plus percent of them could be bought off the shelf in any high street book store. Where’s the diversity? The obscure gems? The exploration of Non-English language work? Discussion of East European literature, the lesser known Japanese writers, the experimental German playwrights?
Sorry, but Paplimset is no more adventurous in its book choices than any other book forum, with the intelligent thoughtful comments peppered with an occasional undercurrent of ‘aren’t we so much smarter than people who like so-and-so’ smug self satisfaction, an example of which toadal has kindly provided for us on this forum.
Personally I’d try exploring the world beyond Waterstones before I started comparing myself to Joyce.

Regards,

K-S

Kenny Shovel said:
I don’t see the range of books discussed [on Palimpsest] being any wider than TBF, just a slightly different set, of arguably more literary works. But ninety plus percent of them could be bought off the shelf in any high street book store. Where’s the diversity? The obscure gems? The exploration of Non-English language work? Discussion of East European literature, the lesser known Japanese writers, the experimental German playwrights?

As a stalwart of Palimpsest, I would tend to agree with this. The books under discussion there tend to form a subset of those under discussion here: sort of like (Palimpsest) = (TBF - A-format paperbacks). I'd love to see more discussion there of obscure stuff such as Kenny has mentioned above, and there is some from the likes of members rick green and m., but I'm not equipped to do it and few others there are either. And of course birds of a feather flock together, so once a forum finds a particular 'level' of discussion, it tends to attract more of the same. And of course with a fairly small membership of 250 (less than one-twentieth the membership of TBF), that's really a very small pool and mainstream stuff is always going to be more prevalent.

However it does seem to me to be more 'orderly' than TBF - less spam or chat about favourite foods etc - which is a matter of taste I suppose, but something I like in discussion forums. To whoever it was said in this thread (or possibly Moto's earlier closed thread) than we at Palimpsest were trying to poach members of TBF, I can only say that I have so little interest in this that I no longer even link to Palimpsest in my sig. If people want to visit it, they can. Some TBFers have, and have stayed, others like Kenny haven't. All forums have their strengths and weaknesses and appeal to different people.

Anyway, back to the discussion. Ahum.

I agree wholeheartedly with Kenny. If I remember correctly, one of the banned members was reinstated out of Darren's kindness. I've been on all sorts of boards and I have never heard of that happening. Those who found themselves banned didn't find out in a surprising manner. I'd wager that they received repeated warnings, read the threads about "trolling" or what have you, and then kept up the behavior. Not only that, but registering under false pretenses under a new name isn't a light-hearted manner type of thing. Creating threads where you goof off is one thing. Registering falsely under a new moniker when you've been banned, picking fights with others, not to mention being warned repeatedly to knock it off, hardly amounts to anyone being banned simply because they started a thread or two that some people just love and happen to think the world of. Some people might disagree with me, but that is the impression that I got here at the time.

Ell's plea to take back the board came around at this time when the board was at a crossroads. A lot of people were being offended, I for one received PMs from people who were frustrated and who wouldn't post because of the perceived bullying that was occuring at the time. The "olden days" weren't so golden as a few here remember. I like moderated boards and I enjoy self-moderated boards. I can handle both, I don't believe that others are so crazy about that.

From Wikipedia-

"In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who posts rude or offensive messages on the Internet, such as on online discussion forums, to disrupt discussion or to upset its participants. "Troll" can also mean the message itself or be a verb meaning to post such messages. "Trolling" is also commonly used to describe the activity."

The person that called this thread "Groundhog Day" pretty much hit it on the head. As far as I am concerned there are no issues with how the forum is moderated. I have no problems with the moderators and in fact think they do a very good job. As he George Jones song goes......Choices....We all hve choices.

I have been a member for roughly nine months. The first six months, I averaged about 15-20 posts per day and was having a great time doing so. These last three months, I have only posted a couple dozen times... collectively. I rarely visit this site anymore, and when I do I wonder why, or I try to search for recognizable forum member names, which I rarely find. Almost everyone I enjoyed chatting with here has left because of this site's sorry evolution. When I first joined, this forum was interesting... the members, the discussions, the humor. Now, all I see is "Thread Closed", "Member Banned", and "Read my knew book... its grate!"

You can read through my previous posts to see why I cherish my two warnings (and am pushing for a third); they were over trivial matters, such as with Stewart's strange suspension. The members of this forum used to not have to worry about mild vulgarity; now, most of us self-edit our uses of f**k and other common words, just to save our godd@m a$$es.

It's strange that a book forum would conform to something as a$$-in-hine as censorship. I miss the fun times.

And I'm still pissed I can't use a dead crow as my avatar!

Here are a couple of points to discuss which may or may not help TBF:

* Make all posts viewable - many threads disappear from view after a while but still show up in searches, etc. By having them on view all the time, it gives more stuff for people to read and provides oppotunities for new members to resusitate (definite sp. there...) old, interesting threads.

* Cut down on the number of forums. When it comes to these things, less is most definitely more. There are loads of forums for different genres but what are they actually doing? I suspect that the same old stuff is being regurgitated over and over again. Why not have a General Book Chat forum and then one for specific reviews? Then, when people want to review a book they can hunt for a thread to see if there is another one they can add to first. Maybe it would be worth having a Authors forum for general discussion about an author too.

Over on Palimpsest we have one forum for book review, into which goes everything to do with an author - they tend to have their own thread and any discussions and reviews goes into there. We don't really have the traffic to justify any more - which is why TBF needs at least a couple. But I think having all these different genre threads just carves up the conversation and doesn't allow much cross-genre posting.

* Enable quick replying without having to click the little button! It makes life so much easier!

* Open up other areas of discussion, like the Politics and Religion stuff that Stewart mentioned in another thread. You can't talk about books without involving this stuff, and when the talk turns away from being book specific, it needs somewhere to go.

* Don't delete threads. Even if some naughtiness goes on, at the very worst, just close it. Better to leave it there as a reminder to people of what isn't acceptable. Often peer review will cut down unacceptable posting anyway - spammers will be given short shrift by the majority of the membership.

* Ban people as a very last resort. In the case of unnaceptable posts, challenge them on the thread itself to calm down. Then, a PM to suggest they perhaps find another forum. At the very worst case scenario, then bans have to be used.

* Don't be afraid of a bit of drastic change. Tinkering here or there often helps - but then so does a whole raft of changes, publicised with an all-users email. Get people excited about the forum again. Make them come and see what's new.

* One other thing for those in charge to remember, though it is tricky for the mods here without Darren, is that it is their forum and that, like it or not, it is a privilege for users to use the site, not a right. Don't be afraid to stand up for what the board is for and its culture. Consistency and a clear wish for the board to succeed will in the end earn the respect of the longer standing members of the forum.

Not all of these would be relevant to TBF. I am sure many would take issue with the numbers of forums thing. That's fine - I certaibly don't know it all, or even very much. But they might give a pointer to some things that could be tried if the glory days are to be achieved once again.

Toadal,

I have to take issue with this idea of preserving a board's 'culture.' One of the attractive aspects of TBF is its ability to take in new influences and ideas and personalities flexibly. New members should not feel that they have to bend to a board's 'culture', IMO.

My experience of Palimp is that this idea of 'culture' is very binding and results in a cliquish discourse where anyone who is not eager to bend to the ruling class is duly dismissed. Banning on Palimp, in my experience, is frequent and without discussion.

Also, I think the moderation on TBF is gentle in most cases, and the repetitiousness of certain types of threads can be frustrating and annoying--but it allows for new members to feel welcome and speak freely. That, to me, is more valuable than order and cleanliness.

Also, I personally find the forum order on Palimp confusing, particularly the 'Palimp Discussions 2006' type threads, which are vague and, again, cliquish. But lest I waste TBF members time with a critique of Palimp, I shall leave off that discussion. (I respect that Palimp's mission is different and that its members are a close-knit bunch satisfied with their own playground.)

Hope you take these comments in the frank and open spirit in which they are intended.

I toadally accept your points knovella - perhaps except for the banning one where only 5 users have been banned in the last year, two of whom were the same person. It's generally the case that those causing unrest get bored and leave of their own accord before banning is necessary.

As I said, my points above are just my way of doing things. They probably aren't relevant here - but maybe there is one idea that might help out of the whole lot, in which case some good would have come out of it.

Will respond to your other points in a more relevant place!

Back