• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Best albums for 2009, thus far

nwee

Hello All,

I am in the habit of sellcting 15-20 albums of artistes that I like each year, and from them try to recognize which are the albums best albums.

So far I've given the following albums a careful listen:
Whisper House (Duncan Sheik)
No line on the horizon (u2)
Abnormally Attracted to Sin (Tori Amos)
Sounds from the Universe (Depeche Mode)
Together Thorugh Life (Bob Dylan)
21st Century Breakdown (Greenday)
Working on a Dream (Bruce Springsteen)
Of these, I find that the Greenday effort is the best with "the Boss", Depeche Mode and U2 follwing respectively. I have more than a handful of albums to listen to, before the year is over. The remaining CDs to listen to are from - Mark Knopfler, Phish, Pearl Jam, David Gray, Streisand, Alice in Chains, Black Crowes and Dave Matthews Band.

I prefer the Green day CD because of the social commentary/critic it contains, the variety that it holds and of course the great tracks (e.g. title track, peace keeper etc.). That 69 minutes sit through is not tiring. Bruce Sprinsteen seems to have become comfortable growing old, content in life and grateful to what life has given him. I felt part of the man's happiness and hence I like it. I liked the Tori Amos effort too, although rated 5th so far, for her creativity although it is tad bit tool long.

I will add to this comment as I have more to add. Last year I felt Radiohead's In Rainbows was the best CD, ahead of Coldpaly's Viva La Vida with Beck (modern Guilt), Counting crowes ( Satuday Nights and Sunday Mornings) and Sheryl Crowe (detours) becoming 3rd, 4th and 5th respectively.

So far I've given the following albums a careful listen:
Whisper House (Duncan Sheik)
No line on the horizon (u2)
What did you like about U2's album and what did you think of Whisper House?
I haven't heard these so I just wondered.

Are there any lesser known artists that you would add to your Best Album list?

Thanks for your response Occlith.

The U2 CD- Well I found it to be somewhat of a midway ground between Achtung Baby and thier latter day CDs like "...Atom bomb", which are more "sunny". It starts off spendidly. I really like the sonically rich, lyrically rich title track, "magnificent", the epical and lyrically rich " moment of surrender" and "white as snow" are all truly great tracks. But the middle is somewhat distracting with "get on your boots", "stand up comedy" etc. It's a sound of u2 that I don't exactly cherish.

Duncan Sheik- A mellow, watery affair. It has a narration, & if you not privy to it, you could get distracted. There are no stand out tracks. The ethereal voice of Holly Brooke is refreshing though. Couldn't stand up against his brilliant efforts like "phantom moon".

Lesser known artistes- the problem is how would I get to know of lesser known artistes, who are worth my while. For one thing I am in Sri Lanka, and news from the western music scene is usually dependent upon AMG, rollingstone and Billboard. The lesser known will have to become "known" through some worthy effort. I realise it is to be a weakness, in my sellection of music, but I have no alternative. Besides I've already 15 for this year, with Weezer coming up. My plate is already full. :)0

What is your input on the Greenday CD ? And also the Tori Amos Cd ?

Sorry, no input. I haven't recently listened to any artists you have listed unless their song was on the radio (which I rarely turn on) or the background music in a television program or advert. :blush:

Perhaps other forum members can input their opinions to your list or what they consider the best. :flowers:

I would say any of those being a top album is a far cry from reality. But then again I don't listen to mainstream music really.So i guess i can't comment really on whether they are good or not.

The best I've bought this year (that came out this year) are:

Matisyahu - Light
Levon Helm - Electric Dirt
Paolo Nutini - Sunny Side Up

lesser known artistes

I will try to find & listen to the Nutini & Helm CDs. Especially Helm could interest me, given I like Dylan. Looks like Matisyahu is not down my alley (rap/reggae isn't).

joderu, did you listen to the Greenday album (or any other albums that I've listed) ? What's your opinion about them ?

As I told you in early post, it's I seldom get to hear of non-main-stream artistes, unless they make some sort of headline. I suppose it has something to do with the fact of not being part of the Americam/ English / European culture. It cannot be helped. For example, I would know of lesser known artistes in the Sinhalese music stream, but where the western music scene is concerned, I will have to stick to the artistes who make the headlines. However I've always thought I had a rather wide span for an Asian - From Barbara Streisand to Black Crowes to Alice in Chains to Duncan Sheik / David Gray would cover rather a large span wouldn't it ? The only areas that I stay out of are Rap/Reggae and the Teeny boppers.

Listened to some of the samples off Helm's album. Reminds me of Buddy Guy. Not bad. Also sampled Matisyahu & Nutini. While the latter is pleasant & kind of care free, I couldn't gel into Matisyahu. I guess these will have to go along with the Morrisey, Neil Young and Manic Street Preachers albums this year that I sampled, but didn't seriously consider sitting down and listening to.

More so than his first two albums Light takes a few listens (at least it did for me) to appreciate. He has a charismatic way about him that I like. I don't like a lot of Rap either but there are always exceptions I find in every genre. I'd say my least favorite is modern Country/Pop.

I have not heard any of the albums you mentioned. I do like Mark Knopfler so I will have to check that one out. In fact, I'll probably just buy that.

Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam I may check out but doubt I'll buy them. The rest I'm not into.

The Incident by Porcupine Tree

If you don't know who they are, you are missing out. Think Pink Floyd, Radiohead, a dash of heavy metal, a pinch of Coldplay, sometimes haunting melodies, excellent musicianship, and you get Porcupine Tree. :lol:

I just listened to some of the samples off the Porcupine tree album, I think it sounds awesome. It sounds as it's a cross between the early Genesis, and Tool. If anyone sounds as good as Tool, count me into their fan club ( Lateralus is one of my all time favourite albums). I am going to get this one !!! Thanks for reducing my ignorance Libri.

Glad you liked what you heard so far. If you find you love this album (and I think you will), you MUST check out some of their others. The Incident is great, but in my opinion they have better.

Deadwing, In Absentia, and Stupid Dream come to mind.
If you like the heavier sound you would probably love Fear of a Blank Planet.

You are right. There is a bit of a Tool influence on their latest album, another one of my favorite bands.

Don't worry about not ever hearing about Porcupine Tree. They have been around awhile, but aren't that well known. I only discovered them myself recently, and so glad I did. Definitely on my list of top 5 bands ever!

The Groo Grux King

Had a thoroughly enjoyable weekend, listening to Dave Matthews Band's "Big Whiskey and the Groo Grux King". Possibly the best DMB album ever, bettering "Before these crowded streets" and "Busted Stuff."

And as a result Green Day slides down one slot to give way to the Groo Grux King!

Thus far...

update:

Having listened to 12 CDs thus far this year, I rate them as below:

1- Big Whiskey & the Groo Grux King (Dave Mathews Band)
2- Before the frost...until the freeze (Black Crowes)
3- Backspacer (Pearl jam)
4- 21st Century Breakdown (Greenday)
5- Working on a dream (Bruce Springsteen)
6- Draw the line (David Gray)
7- Sounds from the Universe (Depeche Mode)
with Mark Knopfler, U2, Tori Amos, Bob Dylan & Duncan Shiek following in that sequence, nos.8-12.

I still have to listen to - Phish, Alice in Chains, Barbara Streisand, Train, Porcupine Tree, John Mayers, Gov't Mule, Weezer & Norah Jones to make the final list.

I didn't consider the following albums after a few lessons - Morrisey, Neil Young, Manic Street Preachers (not worthy, IMO), Seal (album of straight forward covers), Stephen Marley ( just a reworking of his Grammy winning effort - Mind Control).

How do the others feel about these songs ? I really must state that the efforts from Dave Matthews Band, Black Crowes, Pearl Jam & Green Day are absolutely terrific.

The new Wilco is great (members that know me knew I was going to say that).

The new Son Volt is great (members that know me knew I was going to say that too).

The new Sea Wolf is good but not on par with their first CD or their EP.

The new Franz Ferdinand impressed me.

The new Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley band is pretty good.

The Peter Yorn and Scarlett Johansson is surprisingly good. Scarlett can sing but she's still finding her voice.

The new Muse is most excellent.

The balance of my 2009 purchases have been older releases or really obscure and local stuff.

For me, No Line on the Horizon was only average. There are some strong tracks, yes, but I can't bring myself to listen to it often. OTOH I really enjoyed Lacuna Coil's Shallow Life. They received some flak for going in a more radio-friendly direction, but I really didn't think the change was too drastic. It was certainly a big improvement over Karmacode.

1- Big Whiskey & the Groo Grux King (Dave Mathews Band)
2- Before the frost...until the freeze (Black Crowes)
3- Backspacer (Pearl jam)
4- 21st Century Breakdown (Greenday)
5- Working on a dream (Bruce Springsteen)
6- Draw the line (David Gray)
7- Sounds from the Universe (Depeche Mode)
with Mark Knopfler, U2, Tori Amos, Bob Dylan & Duncan Shiek following in that sequence, nos.8-12.

I still have to listen to - Phish, Alice in Chains, Barbara Streisand, Train, Porcupine Tree, John Mayers, Gov't Mule, Weezer & Norah Jones to make the final list.
Big Whiskey and the Grue Grux King is an awesome album. I am looking forward to your thoughts on Porcupine Tree's The Incident. I find it to be an album that improves on multiple hearings.

Another great album. I would rate it above the new one from the Dave Matthew's Band.
For me, No Line on the Horizon was only average. There are some strong tracks, yes, but I can't bring myself to listen to it often.
100% agree with you!

The new Son Volt is great (members that know me knew I was going to say that too).

The new Sea Wolf is good but not on par with their first CD or their EP.

The new Franz Ferdinand impressed me.

The new Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley band is pretty good.

The Peter Yorn and Scarlett Johansson is surprisingly good. Scarlett can sing but she's still finding her voice.

The balance of my 2009 purchases have been older releases or really obscure and local stuff.

I knew you were going to say that too! ^^^

No line on the Horizon is better when heard live--Breathe isn't a song I noticed until I heard them open the show with it and it stunned me on how great it sounds

Sparky knew I was gonna say that

Yes ,they both are excellent.
Muse is currently touring
Their Sep 11 2010 concert is already sold out in the UK.
Nothing on Canada.:sad:

Back