• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

The Bible?

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
So, if Jesus didn't write the bible, who wrote it? Mary? Don't think so...Women couldn't write in those days and it couldn't have been Joseph because his hands were blistered from twisting wooden baskets all day. So who wrote it?

bobbyb, I appreciate that you have the good nature to 'talk' with a christian, but I wouldn't recommend that you do it very often.

oh dear. thats all a bit unimpressive.

robert, it seems we don't want to understand why people like hitler and stalin did what they did, so we just categorize them as "evil". it doesn't require clarity or compassion. it's almost effortless. if someone hurts a lot of people, then he becomes this label. but it's not an actual thing. neither is someone who helps people, who gets categorized as "good".
Robert said:
It's not an illusion, bobby. It's like gravity, it just exists. Need an example? How about Charles Mansion? Hitler? Stalin? How about people that gun down innocent women and children in cold blood?

i agree with stewart. good people do bad, evil things all the time, and vice versa. i think it is dangerous to, oh god i hate this word, label people as good or evil.

rfk, hee hee, that is an understatement.

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
So, if Jesus didn't write the bible, who wrote it? Mary? Don't think so...Women couldn't write in those days and it couldn't have been Joseph because his hands were blistered from twisting wooden baskets all day. So who wrote it?

Shit, you're right.... :rolleyes: .... and it couldn't have been Caspar, Balthazar, and Melchior as they were holding gifts, and it couldn't have Zacharias as he was up a tree (collecting taxes :eek: ) and there was no way he could have had a view of anything from that flourishing bough, and it couldn't have been Adam as he died quite early....unless....unless he faked his death, yeah that's what it was, he wrote himself out of the story in his fine Adamic language and he set about creating a new benevolent Creator with words alone, and he sent Elijah up, up, up, and away to see the view that Zacharias would not get...

Stewart said:
So, when Hitler was lying in bed at night all snuggled up to his lady he was evil? There's no pigeonholing here; he wasn't evil - there were facets of him that were evil. You can't be evil all the time. Similarly, you can't be good all the time. Everything is a middleground.

I dont quite agree stewart, although I see what you are saying. the vilest, unrepentent sex offenders and murderers in the world are inherently evil people as they know what they are doing is evil and yet they choose to do it anyway. If they are nice to their mum in the meantime it doesnt mean that they are not evil people.

RobertFKennedy said:
oh dear. thats all a bit unimpressive.

Certainly is. It reminds me of that twat Ou Be Doobei or whatever it was. Of course, could be him through a proxy but I wouldn't want to credit him with intelligence. A few more faschnizzles might convince me of it though.

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
What I would like to know is how did Jesus write the bible if pencils weren't even invented in 2001BC? I can't imagine he chalked it all up on a bunch of rocks, because what would happen to his scribbles when it rained?

The bible contains 66 books, 39 books in the Old Testament and 27 books in the New Testament. There were over 40 different authors. Moses is credited with writing the most books in the Old Testament, Paul with writing the most in the New Testament.

Stewart said:
Shit, you're right.... :rolleyes: .... and it couldn't have been Caspar, Balthazar, and Melchior as they were holding gifts, and it couldn't have Zacharias as he was up a tree (collecting taxes :eek: ) and there was no way he could have had a view of anything from that flourishing bough, and it couldn't have been Adam as he died quite early....unless....unless he faked his death, yeah that's what it was, he wrote himself out of the story in his fine Adamic language and he set about creating a new benevolent Creator with words alone, and he sent Elijah up, up, up, and away to see the view that Zacharias would not get...

Between you and I, I think we've solved this mystery. Next!

Stewart said:
So, when Hitler was lying in bed at night all snuggled up to his lady he was evil? There's no pigeonholing here; he wasn't evil - there were facets of him that were evil. You can't be evil all the time. Similarly, you can't be good all the time. Everything is a middleground.

I would agree that one could argue that there exists different degrees of good or evil, however I would also argue that a person that has any good in them would not have committed the atrocities these folks were guilty of.

Robert said:
I would agree that one could argue that there exists different degrees of good or evil, however I would also argue that a person that has any good in them would not have committed the atrocities these folks were guilty of.

And those following orders?

Robert said:
The bible contains 66 books, 39 books in the Old Testament and 27 books in the New Testament. There were over 40 different authors. Moses is credited with writing the most books in the Old Testament, Paul with writing the most in the New Testament.

So, by that rationale, Moses is the winner and it's his family who should be making a killing out of all the royalties, right? Which brings me to my next query: If Moses wrote the bible and god made moses, why didn't moses give up all royalties he would get from writing it because otherwise god is ripping everyone off by making a profit out of a book he wrote to help little children and sick people?

bobbyburns said:
robert, it seems we don't want to understand why people like hitler and stalin did what they did, so we just categorize them as "evil". it doesn't require clarity or compassion. it's almost effortless. if someone hurts a lot of people, then he becomes this label. but it's not an actual thing. neither is someone who helps people, who gets categorized as "good".

You mean you don't know what makes some people overwhelmingly evil, while some are overwhelmingly good.

And what's wrong with categorizing someone good or evil, if indeed they are?

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
So, by that rationale, Moses is the winner and it's his family who should be making a killing out of all the royalties, right? Which brings me to my next query: If Moses wrote the bible and god made moses, why didn't moses give up all royalties he would get from writing it because otherwise god is ripping everyone off by making a profit out of a book he wrote to help little children and sick people?

Trying to jerk someones chain around?

Robert said:
You mean you don't know what makes some people overwhelmingly evil, while some are overwhelmingly good.

How many bad things does a good person have to do to make him bad? If I do 4 good things and 4 bad things, am I a goody or a baddy?

Stewart said:
And those following orders?

guilty of evil behaviour to varying degrees. Many were only too willing to follow orders and even enjoyed it whereas some had grave reservations with it and suffered great torment of conscience for the rest of their lives. Mass hysteria and even brainwashing can be blamed in many instances for some of those following orders who committed acts under duress of fear, confusion or delusion.

so its hard to generalise about all those who were following orders and say they were good or evil.

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:

Yawn! Do you want a T-Shirt that says Troll?

it just seems like a vacuous label (seriously). I agree with 100% with what stewart said, no one is completely guilty. I don't see how that isn't obvious.
Robert said:

Ya Krunk'd Floo said:
How many bad things does a good person have to do to make him bad? If I do 4 good things and 4 bad things, am I a goody or a baddy?

Still trying to jerk someones chain around?

RobertFKennedy said:
so its hard to generalise about all those who were following orders and say they were good or evil.

and that right there is why i think it is dangerous to do it to anyone. there are always, always extenuating circumstances.

bobbyburns said:
it just seems like a vacuous label (seriously). I agree with 100% with what stewart said, no one is completely guilty. I don't see how that isn't obvious.

What are you afraid of, bobby? Is someone going to go after you if you hang a label on someone?

I won’t argue with Stewart about different degrees of good or evil, because I believe there’s some truth in it. Keep in mind that Stewart's argument doesn’t negate the existence of good & evil, it simply points out that there are different degrees.

Back